Advice for Dropping Out Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
Mamba24

New

Advice for Dropping Out

Post by Mamba24 » Thu Mar 01, 2012 12:19 am

Hello everyone, I have been following this site for quite a while now and I feel like I need some advice from the brain trust of this site.

I am currently a 1L at a tier 3 school. I have not done well so far in my legal writing course and I feel as if the reason is because I am not interested in the subject anymore. I had a background in journalism and I have been considering going back to earning a masters in journalism because my experience in law school is awful. Is this right for me to do? I don't think being one of the lower ranked students in a tier 3 school is a good thing for employment right?

TTH

Diamond

Re: Advice for Dropping Out

Post by TTH » Thu Mar 01, 2012 12:21 am

Sounds about right. Good luck.

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Thu Mar 01, 2012 12:22 am

TTH wrote:Sounds about right. Good luck.

kaiser

Gold

Post by kaiser » Thu Mar 01, 2012 12:23 am

If your heart really isn't in it, and you can tell that being a lawyer is not what you want to do, then that in itself should make the decision simple, because you would otherwise be setting yourself up for unhappiness and an unfulfilling career. The fact that you have only 1 year under your belt means that your debt wouldn't be too huge yet (and hopefully you have a scholarship there which mitigates whatever debt has already accrued). The fact that you didn't do well, and attend a school with poor job prospects (a blanket assumption for any T3), makes it seem fairly logical to get out, especially if you don't really want to be there.

Mamba24

New

Post by Mamba24 » Thu Mar 01, 2012 12:24 am

I was blinded by the money and prestige..I was wrong for doing that. How much does a J.D. mean if it is from a Tier 3 in California?

Are there any words of encouragement for me because this is a big decision and it has been killing me.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Mamba24

New

Post by Mamba24 » Thu Mar 01, 2012 12:25 am

kaiser wrote:If your heart really isn't in it, and you can tell that being a lawyer is not what you want to do, then that in itself should make the decision simple, because you would otherwise be setting yourself up for unhappiness and an unfulfilling career. The fact that you have only 1 year under your belt means that your debt wouldn't be too huge yet (and hopefully you have a scholarship there which mitigates whatever debt has already accrued). The fact that you didn't do well, and attend a school with poor job prospects (a blanket assumption for any T3), makes it seem fairly logical to get out, especially if you don't really want to be there.
There is pressure from my parents to stick around but I think they are coming around. I am just so scared to get out of school when I have planned for it and wanted it so much.

dixon02

Bronze

Post by dixon02 » Thu Mar 01, 2012 12:26 am

Dropping out might not be a bad idea, but turning around and pursuing a master's degree in a dying field that doesn't pay isn't necessarily the answer (fellow journalism major who abandoned the trade and never looked back).

monkey85

Bronze

Post by monkey85 » Thu Mar 01, 2012 12:28 am

dixon02 wrote:Dropping out might not be a bad idea, but turning around and pursuing a master's degree in a dying field that doesn't pay isn't necessarily the answer (fellow journalism major who abandoned the trade and never looked back).
Sounds like good advice. Whatever decision you make - leave law school and don't look back. You'll be happier not slugging it out for 2 more years.

Mamba24

New

Post by Mamba24 » Thu Mar 01, 2012 12:30 am

dixon02 wrote:Dropping out might not be a bad idea, but turning around and pursuing a master's degree in a dying field that doesn't pay isn't necessarily the answer (fellow journalism major who abandoned the trade and never looked back).
I'm looking at sports journalism. Is it really a dying field? I am going to pursue a masters in mass communication then a masters in journalism from USC, is that really a bad idea?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

bdubs

Gold

Post by bdubs » Thu Mar 01, 2012 12:30 am

Mamba24 wrote:I had a background in journalism and I have been considering going back to earning a masters in journalism
A journalism masters is about as worthless as a tier 3 law degree. Almost anything else that involves getting a job that pays money and not wasting time, accumulating debt in graduate school would be better.

dixon02

Bronze

Post by dixon02 » Thu Mar 01, 2012 12:40 am

Mamba24 wrote:
I'm looking at sports journalism. Is it really a dying field? I am going to pursue a masters in mass communication then a masters in journalism from USC, is that really a bad idea?
I was a sports writer as well. Interned at a few major newspapers during college. Hated the industry (bureaucratic, mired down by old traditions). And yes, it is a dying field. Most newspapers are hemorrhaging money, and in general the industry has yet to figure how to make money while giving their product away for free. There simply aren't many jobs, and they don't pay anything anyway.

Sorry to rain on your parade. But I think you're better off sticking with law school than paying for two master's degrees in order to become a journalist. If that's really what you want to do, you don't need a master's to do it anyway.

jess

Post by jess » Thu Mar 01, 2012 1:49 am

Last edited by jess on Fri Oct 27, 2017 1:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Thu Mar 01, 2012 1:53 am

1. Yes drop out. You went to law school for money/prestige. A TTT degree is not prestigious and it will not help you get money. Furthermore it seems like you're not too keen on a career as a lawyer (not that it would be easy to get from a TTT anyways).

2. Don't go to another graduate program. Find a job where and start working your way up.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Thu Mar 01, 2012 1:58 am

bk187 wrote:1. Yes drop out. You went to law school for money/prestige. A TTT degree is not prestigious and it will not help you get money. Furthermore it seems like you're not too keen on a career as a lawyer (not that it would be easy to get from a TTT anyways).

2. Don't go to another graduate program. Find a job where and start working your way up.
+1. Especially don't go to journalism school. Possibly the only degree less valuable than a TTT law degree nowadays.

Tom Joad

Gold

Post by Tom Joad » Thu Mar 01, 2012 2:02 am

Lawyers are envious of people in all professions except journalism.

Living in the 21st century blows. Journalism should be a respected, well-paid profession.

reformed calvinist

Bronze

Post by reformed calvinist » Thu Mar 01, 2012 2:19 am

Not to hijack but I've had similar thoughts. Finals start the last week of April, the money's gone, journal competition and moot court coming up, gonna try to nail down a summer job. Won't leave without a last hurrah. That said, I'm hesitant to leave for the same horrible reason I came here in the first place: fear. Fear of not getting a professional degree like my parents, fear of unemployment and aimless. Law at least seemed like a structured course at the time: what the hell else is a poli sci major supposed to do? I look at my gf, who is a 1L elsewhere-and I see someone who went for the right reasons and has the resume so far to prove it. And I realize that that's not me. I had more motivation to write my final college paper on some obscure bs outside my major than I do for a brief that's 55% of my grade.

If I had real prospects outside law school, I would jump at them. Especially to be in the same city as my so. I know finding any job ITE is an adventure, and I don't think I can do that and give the last half of this semester one last push before quitting for good at the same time. I thought about a M Acc, but that's the same trap as a JD-a degree I just jump at without thinking. On the flip side, it isn't 3 years. I don't even know. Sorry for shitting up the place with my ramblings. All I know is I can't do this for two more years. But I will because I lack the stones to leave. My weakness, I know. All I want to do is be with my girlfriend and work a decent job instead of pointless school. I let the scholarship seduce me. I didn't leave time for post-college maturation, and I'm doing all that postgraduate self-reflection during 1L, and I'm an idiot for it. If I thought I had any chances of finding decent work, I'd sell my books tomorrow and pursue that. I'll look, I suppose, but I have no idea what for, and I'm too ashamed to talk to friends or family who could help me. I think I'm serious this time.

patrickd139

Gold

Post by patrickd139 » Thu Mar 01, 2012 2:39 am

rad lulz wrote:
TTH wrote:Sounds about right. Good luck.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Mamba24

New

Post by Mamba24 » Thu Mar 01, 2012 3:06 am

I'm currently interning as a sports journalist. I want to continue with that career but I also have a bachelor's in psychology as well(I double majored). I am thinking of specializing in clinical or human factors psychology. I might apply for a Masters program or Ph.D, I'm really confused..this is the toughest thing I have ever been through in my life. Any thoughts on psychology?

AVBucks4239

Silver

Post by AVBucks4239 » Thu Mar 01, 2012 3:53 am

Traditional journalism is a dying field. You might as well open up a horse and buggy dealership.

hung jury

Bronze

Post by hung jury » Thu Mar 01, 2012 3:57 am

I recommend getting out of law school before thinking what you'll do next (and spending a decent amount of time researching job prospects for any new career path). Deciding to leave is a big enough decision that having some time to reflect might be helpful.

And tier 3 without top grades means you're making the rational decision dropping out. The field is saturated even for those who want to practice. Good luck with your decision.

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Thu Mar 01, 2012 10:07 am

hung jury wrote:I recommend getting out of law school before thinking what you'll do next (and spending a decent amount of time researching job prospects for any new career path). Deciding to leave is a big enough decision that having some time to reflect might be helpful.
I disagree with this. He's past the point where he can get his money back, so he might as well finish out the year. This will 1) give him some time to figure it out and look for something else, and 2) look better to employers that he finished the year and then decided it wasn't for him.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Mamba24

New

Post by Mamba24 » Thu Mar 01, 2012 11:36 am

romothesavior wrote:
hung jury wrote:I recommend getting out of law school before thinking what you'll do next (and spending a decent amount of time researching job prospects for any new career path). Deciding to leave is a big enough decision that having some time to reflect might be helpful.
I disagree with this. He's past the point where he can get his money back, so he might as well finish out the year. This will 1) give him some time to figure it out and look for something else, and 2) look better to employers that he finished the year and then decided it wasn't for him.
Actually I am going to get a "prorated" refund. Half way through the semester, half my tuition.

Samara

Gold

Post by Samara » Thu Mar 01, 2012 11:42 am

Mamba24 wrote:I'm currently interning as a sports journalist. I want to continue with that career but I also have a bachelor's in psychology as well(I double majored). I am thinking of specializing in clinical or human factors psychology. I might apply for a Masters program or Ph.D, I'm really confused..this is the toughest thing I have ever been through in my life. Any thoughts on psychology?
Why are you so hung up on getting a graduate degree? Do you have any full-time work experience (not while in school)? If not, you really should work for a couple years and figure out what you really want to do. There's a good chance you'll find that you don't need an expensive master's degree to do it.

target

Silver

Post by target » Thu Mar 01, 2012 2:27 pm

what did you study in undergrad? Can you find a job with that degree? If I were you, I would be hesitate to commit myself to another degree program that doesn't guarantee a job.

Mamba24

New

Post by Mamba24 » Thu Mar 01, 2012 2:40 pm

target wrote:what did you study in undergrad? Can you find a job with that degree? If I were you, I would be hesitate to commit myself to another degree program that doesn't guarantee a job.
I did Journalism and Psychology.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”