Looking for a book that's equivalent to Acing Civil Procedur

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
jd20132013
Posts: 997
Joined: Sat Oct 09, 2010 4:41 pm

Looking for a book that's equivalent to Acing Civil Procedur

Postby jd20132013 » Sun Feb 26, 2012 4:14 pm

Acing Civil Procedure got me an A- in Civil Procedure when I didn't have a clue what was going on for much of the semester.

I'm looking for a book like this - concise, clear, states the rules and the bare minimum of rationale, for

Property
Evidence
Con Law

Anything?

User avatar
DocHawkeye
Posts: 640
Joined: Fri Oct 29, 2010 11:22 am

Re: Looking for a book that's equivalent to Acing Civil Procedur

Postby DocHawkeye » Sun Feb 26, 2012 4:56 pm

Acing Property by Colleen Medill.

User avatar
kalvano
Posts: 11720
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:24 am

Re: Looking for a book that's equivalent to Acing Civil Procedur

Postby kalvano » Sun Feb 26, 2012 5:00 pm

Glannon Guide to Property.

Understanding Evidence.

Con Law: Principles & Policies.

dixon02
Posts: 374
Joined: Wed Feb 22, 2012 2:27 am

Re: Looking for a book that's equivalent to Acing Civil Procedur

Postby dixon02 » Sun Feb 26, 2012 5:01 pm

There are a series of 'Acing' books, and you can easily find them all on Amazon. I think they only make them for the six standard 1L classes though - ConLaw, Contracts, Crim, CivPro, Torts, Property. Not sure if they have one for Evidence.

jd20132013
Posts: 997
Joined: Sat Oct 09, 2010 4:41 pm

Re: Looking for a book that's equivalent to Acing Civil Procedur

Postby jd20132013 » Sun Feb 26, 2012 5:03 pm

dixon02 wrote:There are a series of 'Acing' books, and you can easily find them all on Amazon. I think they only make them for the six standard 1L classes though - ConLaw, Contracts, Crim, CivPro, Torts, Property. Not sure if they have one for Evidence.


I had heard - and might be wrong - that Acing Civ Pro was the only one of the "acing" series that was actually good. So, I was trying to find perhaps a different brand that accomplishe the same thing.

I do have Principles and Policies already but its a bit long - not sure its something i can be flipping through as i work up the outlines

I'll look at the Glannon Guie to Property and Understanding Evidence - thanks

User avatar
kalvano
Posts: 11720
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:24 am

Re: Looking for a book that's equivalent to Acing Civil Procedur

Postby kalvano » Sun Feb 26, 2012 5:05 pm

If you have P&P, then check out Inside Con Law: What Matters And Why.

I love that series.

jd20132013
Posts: 997
Joined: Sat Oct 09, 2010 4:41 pm

Re: Looking for a book that's equivalent to Acing Civil Procedur

Postby jd20132013 » Sun Feb 26, 2012 5:21 pm

kalvano wrote:If you have P&P, then check out Inside Con Law: What Matters And Why.

I love that series.



Thanks. Does it provide hypos to work through with suggested explanations? That's really important to me in a supplement of this kind (one reason why I need to get something to supplement Chemerinsky)

EDIT: I guess that question goes for the rest of the supplements mentioned here.


One reason I did like "Acing" was its examples and explanations at the end. while sparse they were at least helpful to make sure i understood where the particular book was coming from

User avatar
kalvano
Posts: 11720
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:24 am

Re: Looking for a book that's equivalent to Acing Civil Procedur

Postby kalvano » Sun Feb 26, 2012 5:22 pm

No, no hypos. Just a concise explanation of everything, and it goes into a lot of detail about how everything ties together.

User avatar
Sapientia
Posts: 165
Joined: Mon Sep 19, 2011 6:13 pm

Re: Looking for a book that's equivalent to Acing Civil Procedur

Postby Sapientia » Sun Feb 26, 2012 9:58 pm

jd20132013 wrote:Acing Civil Procedure got me an A- in Civil Procedure when I didn't have a clue what was going on for much of the semester.

I'm looking for a book like this - concise, clear, states the rules and the bare minimum of rationale, for

Property
Evidence
Con Law

Anything?


Curious if your case book was prof Spencer as well...? Or was it a different case book, and the supplement helped notwithstanding the difference...?

TYIA

jd20132013
Posts: 997
Joined: Sat Oct 09, 2010 4:41 pm

Re: Looking for a book that's equivalent to Acing Civil Procedur

Postby jd20132013 » Sun Feb 26, 2012 9:59 pm

Different case book. I think civ pro is the kind of subject where it won't vary too much. That's a guess but I do know it helped me.

User avatar
Sapientia
Posts: 165
Joined: Mon Sep 19, 2011 6:13 pm

Re: Looking for a book that's equivalent to Acing Civil Procedur

Postby Sapientia » Sun Feb 26, 2012 10:12 pm

jd20132013 wrote:Different case book. I think civ pro is the kind of subject where it won't vary too much. That's a guess but I do know it helped me.


Cool. That's the vibe I've gotten. I have been kind of lost in that class. Supplement purchased.

morris248
Posts: 210
Joined: Sun Jul 17, 2011 11:30 am

Re: Looking for a book that's equivalent to Acing Civil Procedur

Postby morris248 » Sun Feb 26, 2012 10:40 pm

Property

For property an absolute must is Estates in Land & Future Interests

Estates in Land & Future Interests

For Evidence there are a lot of choices but after E&E probably Emanuel Law Outlines: Evidence

Emanuel Law Outlines: Evidence

For Con Law Constitutional Law by Chemerinsky

Constitutional Law by Chemerinsky

User avatar
kalvano
Posts: 11720
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:24 am

Re: Looking for a book that's equivalent to Acing Civil Procedur

Postby kalvano » Sun Feb 26, 2012 10:44 pm

I don't care for the Evidence E&E because it's not as rules-focused as other supplements.

thechee
Posts: 174
Joined: Tue Oct 06, 2009 8:42 am

Re: Looking for a book that's equivalent to Acing Civil Procedur

Postby thechee » Fri Mar 02, 2012 12:34 am

FWIW, Acing Contracts and Acing Torts are both excellent, other than the crazy number of typos. Con Law seems slightly less amenable to the checklist approach useful for Ks/Torts/CivPro. I had Acing Property, but found it useless. I did get an A in property, but relied 100% on the "Oxford Introductions" book by Merrill and Smith.

jd20132013
Posts: 997
Joined: Sat Oct 09, 2010 4:41 pm

Re: Looking for a book that's equivalent to Acing Civil Procedur

Postby jd20132013 » Fri Mar 02, 2012 12:42 am

thechee wrote:FWIW, Acing Contracts and Acing Torts are both excellent, other than the crazy number of typos. Con Law seems slightly less amenable to the checklist approach useful for Ks/Torts/CivPro. I had Acing Property, but found it useless. I did get an A in property, but relied 100% on the "Oxford Introductions" book by Merrill and Smith.


Hypos?

thechee
Posts: 174
Joined: Tue Oct 06, 2009 8:42 am

Re: Looking for a book that's equivalent to Acing Civil Procedur

Postby thechee » Fri Mar 02, 2012 12:51 am

jd20132013 wrote:
thechee wrote:FWIW, Acing Contracts and Acing Torts are both excellent, other than the crazy number of typos. Con Law seems slightly less amenable to the checklist approach useful for Ks/Torts/CivPro. I had Acing Property, but found it useless. I did get an A in property, but relied 100% on the "Oxford Introductions" book by Merrill and Smith.


Hypos?


All the Acing books have hypos, which are invaluable. The "Oxford" book is much more philosophical, and has no hypos. If you are using the Merrill and Smith casebook, don't even think about not geting this.

I think property is one class that really varies a lot from prof to prof. If your prof is all BLL, then Acing or the E&E might be for you. But, property is one class that can be effectively taught with virtually no focus on the BLL (my experience).

jd20132013
Posts: 997
Joined: Sat Oct 09, 2010 4:41 pm

Re: Looking for a book that's equivalent to Acing Civil Procedur

Postby jd20132013 » Fri Mar 02, 2012 1:02 am

My professor wrote the casebook, and doesn't seem to be too heavy on BLL but I haven't really looked in depth at the practice exams (as we all know sometimes a theoretical class can have a BLL heavy test)

Acing series was cool but I had heard that acing property was useless




Return to “Forum for Law School Students”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Gunner19 and 7 guests