Maybe you should drop out of law school.

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )

Happy 2012!

That's a good point, thanks for the advice.
90
25%
NO IT WILL BE DIFFERENT FOR ME I LOVE DEBT, UNEMPLOYMENT, AND SORROW.
265
75%
 
Total votes: 355

User avatar
thesealocust
Posts: 8448
Joined: Mon Oct 20, 2008 8:50 pm

Maybe you should drop out of law school.

Postby thesealocust » Tue Jan 03, 2012 4:46 pm

7/12/2015 Edit:

I still endorse this product and/or service.

OP (from late 2011):

It's that wonderful time of year, and I thought I'd make a friendly PSA that the best thing a 1L could do right now may well be to drop out of law school.

First, there aren't jobs for any of you. Sad times. Every year about 50,000 begin law school and the BLS estimates there might be 30,000 entry level legal jobs. In the entire country. And I hope you aren't in debt, because estimates suggest there are only on the order of 5,000 biglaw openings every year.

Second, it doesn't get any better. Your classmates are still going to be law students when you wake up tomorrow. Lawyer is still going to be the most hated profession. We're still going to be #1 in the U.S. News & World Report substance abuse, alcoholism, and depression rankings. Professors are still going to be asshats. Class will still be insufferable. The only thing that wears off after the first year is the naive hope that there might be a brighter future.

Third, sunk cost fallacy economics bla bla bla. The only thing worse than voluntarily giving up money in exchange for a semester of law school is doing so 6 times in a row and then becoming a lawyer. Remember kids: If at first you don't succeed, quit and don't admit to trying.

But thesealocust - aren't you still in law school? - I'm sure you are asking. The answer is yes, but I'm still in law school* for the same reason I went to law school. Because I hate myself. Not for love of the law, career prospects, ambition, or because I want to be a lawyer. No no no, thesealocust went to law school because of thesealocust's off-the-charts self-loathing. It brought me to law school and it keeps me here.

But for the rest of you, there may yet be hope.

It's not too late.

- - - - - -

* November '12 update: thesealocust has graduated law school but still strongly endorses this product and/or service.

* December '13 update: thesealocust is a lawyer and still strongly endorses this product and/or service.

* July '15 update: Yep, still true.
Last edited by thesealocust on Sun Jul 12, 2015 6:17 pm, edited 7 times in total.

071816
Posts: 5511
Joined: Thu Mar 31, 2011 8:06 pm

Re: Maybe you should drop out of law school.

Postby 071816 » Tue Jan 03, 2012 4:51 pm

--ImageRemoved--

User avatar
Gettingstarted1928
Posts: 407
Joined: Sun Oct 09, 2011 11:45 pm

Re: Maybe you should drop out of law school.

Postby Gettingstarted1928 » Tue Jan 03, 2012 5:10 pm

Somebody ban this troll. Everyone knows that JD = 1%er. I guess OP doesn't watch movies.

User avatar
Naked Dude
Posts: 746
Joined: Thu Apr 07, 2011 3:09 pm

Re: Maybe you should drop out of law school.

Postby Naked Dude » Tue Jan 03, 2012 5:18 pm

thesealocust wrote:I'm still in law school for the same reason I went to law school. Because I hate myself. Not for love of the law, career prospects, ambition, or because I want to be a lawyer. [I] went to law school because of off-the-charts self-loathing. It brought me to law school and it keeps me here.


Stealing this

User avatar
thesealocust
Posts: 8448
Joined: Mon Oct 20, 2008 8:50 pm

Re: Maybe you should drop out of law school.

Postby thesealocust » Tue Jan 03, 2012 6:10 pm

Naked Dude wrote:
thesealocust wrote:I'm still in law school for the same reason I went to law school. Because I hate myself. Not for love of the law, career prospects, ambition, or because I want to be a lawyer. [I] went to law school because of off-the-charts self-loathing. It brought me to law school and it keeps me here.


Stealing this


The last winter break of my life has given me a lot of time to ponder things on the tree of woe.

User avatar
MrKappus
Posts: 1685
Joined: Tue Mar 31, 2009 2:46 am

Re: Maybe you should drop out of law school.

Postby MrKappus » Tue Jan 03, 2012 6:16 pm

Hmm. I kind of love this thread.

User avatar
JamMasterJ
Posts: 6688
Joined: Sat Jan 29, 2011 7:17 pm

Re: Maybe you should drop out of law school.

Postby JamMasterJ » Tue Jan 03, 2012 6:18 pm

I freaking love you!!!

User avatar
Cavalier
Posts: 1994
Joined: Mon Apr 13, 2009 6:13 pm

Re: Maybe you should drop out of law school.

Postby Cavalier » Tue Jan 03, 2012 6:51 pm

180

User avatar
D'Angelo
Posts: 165
Joined: Sun Aug 28, 2011 10:29 am

Re: Maybe you should drop out of law school.

Postby D'Angelo » Tue Jan 03, 2012 6:52 pm

some of us are idealists!! we don't become self aware for another 5 or 6 years...

User avatar
MrPapagiorgio
Posts: 1747
Joined: Sat Feb 13, 2010 2:36 am

Re: Maybe you should drop out of law school.

Postby MrPapagiorgio » Tue Jan 03, 2012 6:54 pm

thesealocust wrote:We're still going to be #1 in the U.S. News & World Report substance abuse, alcoholism, and depression rankings.

You promise?

shoeshine
Posts: 1241
Joined: Wed May 04, 2011 10:58 pm

Re: Maybe you should drop out of law school.

Postby shoeshine » Tue Jan 03, 2012 6:55 pm

I am half tempted to quit just because you told me to...

But I also want to follow your other advice and rock OCI...

So conflicted...

User avatar
Hjones33
Posts: 135
Joined: Fri Nov 18, 2011 8:07 pm

Re: Maybe you should drop out of law school.

Postby Hjones33 » Tue Jan 03, 2012 7:13 pm

thesealocust wrote:We're still going to be #1 in the U.S. News & World Report substance abuse, alcoholism, and depression rankings.


I am not saying you are wrong, but could you link me that exact thing? I find that interesting and did a search for something of that sort and couldn't find anything. Thanks!

User avatar
Errzii
Posts: 158
Joined: Sun Jul 31, 2011 7:09 am

Re: Maybe you should drop out of law school.

Postby Errzii » Tue Jan 03, 2012 7:20 pm

How about putting up a similar PSA at the other forums for aspiring law students to not attend at all? Those are the ones that can really still be saved.

User avatar
NYC Law
Posts: 1569
Joined: Thu May 26, 2011 3:33 pm

Re: Maybe you should drop out of law school.

Postby NYC Law » Tue Jan 03, 2012 7:32 pm

Hjones33 wrote:
thesealocust wrote:We're still going to be #1 in the U.S. News & World Report substance abuse, alcoholism, and depression rankings.


I am not saying you are wrong, but could you link me that exact thing? I find that interesting and did a search for something of that sort and couldn't find anything. Thanks!


notsureifsrs

User avatar
thesealocust
Posts: 8448
Joined: Mon Oct 20, 2008 8:50 pm

Re: Maybe you should drop out of law school.

Postby thesealocust » Tue Jan 03, 2012 7:46 pm

Errzii wrote:How about putting up a similar PSA at the other forums for aspiring law students to not attend at all? Those are the ones that can really still be saved.


The mods tend to take a dim view towards telling prospective law students not to attend law school, and I'm usually on a fairly short leash as it is. Pick your battles, etc.

User avatar
NYC Law
Posts: 1569
Joined: Thu May 26, 2011 3:33 pm

Re: Maybe you should drop out of law school.

Postby NYC Law » Tue Jan 03, 2012 7:52 pm

Errzii wrote:How about putting up a similar PSA at the other forums for aspiring law students to not attend at all? Those are the ones that can really still be saved.


That job is already spoke for

adonai
Posts: 1033
Joined: Mon Apr 23, 2007 9:09 pm

Re: Maybe you should drop out of law school.

Postby adonai » Tue Jan 03, 2012 8:26 pm

Thanks for the encouragement. I really was going to drop out until I saw this!

User avatar
JamMasterJ
Posts: 6688
Joined: Sat Jan 29, 2011 7:17 pm

Re: Maybe you should drop out of law school.

Postby JamMasterJ » Tue Jan 03, 2012 8:44 pm

NYC Law wrote:
Errzii wrote:How about putting up a similar PSA at the other forums for aspiring law students to not attend at all? Those are the ones that can really still be saved.


That job is already spoke for

facepalm.
Though I would actually take a law school apocalypse thread seriously if it was thesealocust posting it

User avatar
Naked Dude
Posts: 746
Joined: Thu Apr 07, 2011 3:09 pm

Re: Maybe you should drop out of law school.

Postby Naked Dude » Tue Jan 03, 2012 11:34 pm

adonai wrote:Thanks for the encouragement. I really was going to drop out until I saw this!


I might get into street magic

User avatar
Bildungsroman
Posts: 5548
Joined: Sun Apr 11, 2010 2:42 pm

Re: Maybe you should drop out of law school.

Postby Bildungsroman » Tue Jan 03, 2012 11:39 pm

I already hate myself, so law school is redundant.

flcath
Posts: 1502
Joined: Fri Nov 06, 2009 11:39 pm

Re: Maybe you should drop out of law school.

Postby flcath » Fri Jan 06, 2012 2:56 pm

I am very optimistic, so I look at it as a recoverable mistake, vice an unrecoverable one.

Very sad that that's the most optimistic view I can muster without going into flights of fantasy.

User avatar
thesealocust
Posts: 8448
Joined: Mon Oct 20, 2008 8:50 pm

Re: Maybe you should drop out of law school.

Postby thesealocust » Fri Jan 20, 2012 5:32 pm

'tis the season - bump.

nStiver
Posts: 388
Joined: Thu Nov 06, 2008 4:15 am

Re: Maybe you should drop out of law school.

Postby nStiver » Fri Jan 20, 2012 5:34 pm

thesealocust wrote:It's that wonderful time of year, and I thought I'd make a friendly PSA that the best thing a 1L could do right now may well be to drop out of law school.

First, there aren't jobs for any of you. Sad times. Every year about 50,000 begin law school and the BLS estimates there might be 30,000 entry level legal jobs. In the entire country. And I hope you aren't in debt, because estimates suggest there are only on the order of 5,000 biglaw openings every year.

Second, it doesn't get any better. Your classmates are still going to be law students when you wake up tomorrow. Lawyer is still going to be the most hated profession. We're still going to be #1 in the U.S. News & World Report substance abuse, alcoholism, and depression rankings. Professors are still going to be asshats. Class will still be insufferable. The only thing that wears off after the first year is the naive hope that there might be a brighter future.

Third, sunk cost fallacy economics bla bla bla. The only thing worse than voluntarily giving up money in exchange for a semester of law school is doing so 6 times in a row and then becoming a lawyer. Remember kids: If at first you don't succeed, quit and don't admit to trying.

But thesealocust - aren't you still in law school? - I'm sure you are asking. The answer is yes, but I'm still in law school for the same reason I went to law school. Because I hate myself. Not for love of the law, career prospects, ambition, or because I want to be a lawyer. No no no, thesealocust went to law school because of thesealocust's off-the-charts self-loathing. It brought me to law school and it keeps me here.

But for the rest of you, there may yet be hope.

It's not too late.


You are just a big bundle of positivity aren't you. :P
Last edited by nStiver on Fri Jan 20, 2012 5:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

nStiver
Posts: 388
Joined: Thu Nov 06, 2008 4:15 am

Re: Maybe you should drop out of law school.

Postby nStiver » Fri Jan 20, 2012 5:36 pm

And for the love of God, law school is not that bad. If it makes people that miserable then maybe they should drop out and go into something completely different....Like accountant or physical trainer or high school teacher or firefighter or whatever else it is that people do.

edit because I am lazy and don't proof read

User avatar
romothesavior
Posts: 14772
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:29 pm

Re: Maybe you should drop out of law school.

Postby romothesavior » Fri Jan 20, 2012 5:39 pm

This thread rules.




Return to “Forum for Law School Students”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Yahoo [Bot] and 3 guests