Question from my Evidence Exam That's Driving Me Crazy Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
blong4133

Bronze

Question from my Evidence Exam That's Driving Me Crazy

Post by blong4133 » Wed Dec 07, 2011 8:41 pm

Really not that big of a deal, but it's driving me nuts that I wasn't sure when I took the exam and can't figure out what the answer is.

Is a barking watch-dog a Declarant?

I said it can because it's an animal trained to elicit some reaction to a particular event/situation. So in a sense, that dog barking is an assertive statement that someone is at or near the house.

Does that sound right or am I just a moron?

Grapes

New

Re: Question from my Evidence Exam That's Driving Me Crazy

Post by Grapes » Wed Dec 07, 2011 8:45 pm

A barking watch dog is not a declarant.

Animals don’t make true or false statements. Dog makes non-expressive nonassertive conduct

Can’t impute statement that’s true or false to animal.

One can only observe what they saw the dog doing, "the watch-dog was barking"

blong4133

Bronze

Post by blong4133 » Wed Dec 07, 2011 8:50 pm

Grapes wrote:A barking watch dog is not a declarant.

Animals don’t make true or false statements. Dog makes non-expressive nonassertive conduct

See that's what I initially thought. However, I remembered going over an example in which a trained Parrot could be a declarant. My thought process was that a trained Parrot isn't making assertive content, but it is trained to elicit a response to an event (it mimics something that is said) I thought that a dog that was trained to alert someone to the presence of another individual is the same thing as a Parrot that is trained to mimic/repeat words or phrases. Essentially, I guess they've both been trained by a human to respond to something in a certain way, so as to send a message to the person (i.e. Dog barks, and the owner knows that someone is outside the house)

I don't know though. I think you're right. I'm ticked I put the wrong answer now.

Grapes

New

Post by Grapes » Wed Dec 07, 2011 11:11 pm

blong4133 wrote:
Grapes wrote:A barking watch dog is not a declarant.

See that's what I initially thought. However, I remembered going over an example in which a trained Parrot could be a declarant. My thought process was that a trained Parrot isn't making assertive content, but it is trained to elicit a response to an event (it mimics something that is said) I thought that a dog that was trained to alert someone to the presence of another individual is the same thing as a Parrot that is trained to mimic/repeat words or phrases. Essentially, I guess they've both been trained by a human to respond to something in a certain way, so as to send a message to the person (i.e. Dog barks, and the owner knows that someone is outside the house)

I don't know though. I think you're right. I'm ticked I put the wrong answer now.
yes but the barking isn't a statement. what if he was barking because he was having a bad dream? animals can't make statements.

but dont worry about it the exam is over! on to the next one...

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”