Can you be a lawyer and be a loner? Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
rawrab

New

Can you be a lawyer and be a loner?

Post by rawrab » Fri Dec 02, 2011 10:21 pm

I know this is a dumb question but as I'm nearing the end of my first semester of law school I'm wondering if I'm not cut out for being a lawyer because I don't have the personality.

I am enjoying all my classes and doing well, but I hate talking in class and am very shy. Also, I have made friends but I find it hard to make close friends/keep them at law school because honestly after going to class all I want to do is go home. I have a fiancé so I prefer to get home as quick as possible and do my work at home so that I can spend more time with him and also because I just really enjoy my alone time. The people at law school are okay, but I'd rather just get away from there as soon as possible, plus I already have some good friends outside of school. I notice that most other people in law school spend hours every day just shooting the shit and that is just not something I enjoy.

Is it possible to be a lawyer when you generally just prefer to be at home and alone and don't really like hanging out with other people all the time?

ph14

Gold

Re: Can you be a lawyer and be a loner?

Post by ph14 » Fri Dec 02, 2011 10:22 pm

rawrab wrote:I know this is a dumb question but as I'm nearing the end of my first semester of law school I'm wondering if I'm not cut out for being a lawyer because I don't have the personality.

I am enjoying all my classes and doing well, but I hate talking in class and am very shy. Also, I have made friends but I find it hard to make close friends/keep them at law school because honestly after going to class all I want to do is go home. I have a fiancé so I prefer to get home as quick as possible and do my work at home so that I can spend more time with him and also because I just really enjoy my alone time. The people at law school are okay, but I'd rather just get away from there as soon as possible, plus I already have some good friends outside of school. I notice that most other people in law school spend hours every day just shooting the shit and that is just not something I enjoy.

Is it possible to be a lawyer when you generally just prefer to be at home and alone and don't really like hanging out with other people all the time?
Yes. Although you'll probably have to fake it a bit while you're getting interviewed and hired. Don't let it discourage you

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Fri Dec 02, 2011 10:27 pm

They are called transactional attorneys.

luthersloan

Bronze

Post by luthersloan » Fri Dec 02, 2011 10:32 pm

Or tax attorneys.

crossarmant

Silver

Post by crossarmant » Fri Dec 02, 2011 10:51 pm

rawrab wrote:I know this is a dumb question but as I'm nearing the end of my first semester of law school I'm wondering if I'm not cut out for being a lawyer because I don't have the personality.

I'm exactly the same. I think if you can snag a job and fake it when need be, we should be okay. We're not going to be running for public office or anything like that but we should be alright when it comes to the actual work involved...

I have a feeling I'm going to turn into Wayne Jarvis from Arrested Development: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CC3IaOOu ... re=related

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

headandshoulderos

Bronze

Post by headandshoulderos » Fri Dec 02, 2011 10:59 pm

Do you have friends outside of law school? I have a strong network of friends but don't really click with anybody at my law school and like to get out of there as quickly as possible. It reminds me of some weird mix of high school and all the bad parts of undergrad. I think it's pretty normal not to get a long with law students, especially when you are a bit more mature and have a fiance / serious relationship. There's a serious single, going out to get drunk contingent at any school.

Anyway, if you are just generally a loner that's fine too---being a lawyer is all about writing. You don't really have to interact with people as much as a customer service person or salesperson, for example.

But, I'm just saying you might not actually be a loner --- you might just be not fit in with law students, which is something to be proud of :).

ph14

Gold

Post by ph14 » Fri Dec 02, 2011 11:00 pm

headandshoulderos wrote:Do you have friends outside of law school? I have a strong network of friends but don't really click with anybody at my law school and like to get out of there as quickly as possible. It reminds me of some weird mix of high school and all the bad parts of undergrad. I think it's pretty normal not to get a long with law students, especially when you are a bit more mature and have a fiance / serious relationship. There's a serious single, going out to get drunk contingent at any school.

Anyway, if you are just generally a loner that's fine too---being a lawyer is all about writing. You don't really have to interact with people as much as a customer service person or salesperson, for example.

But, I'm just saying you might not actually be a loner --- you might just be not fit in with law students, which is something to be proud of :).
This attitude is extremely dumb.

MrAnon

Gold

Post by MrAnon » Fri Dec 02, 2011 11:01 pm

There are lots of women like you in the profession. generally my sense is that they hate it, they are just doing it to pay off their loans, and they try to get out as soon as possible.

headandshoulderos

Bronze

Post by headandshoulderos » Fri Dec 02, 2011 11:02 pm

ph14 wrote:
headandshoulderos wrote:Do you have friends outside of law school? I have a strong network of friends but don't really click with anybody at my law school and like to get out of there as quickly as possible. It reminds me of some weird mix of high school and all the bad parts of undergrad. I think it's pretty normal not to get a long with law students, especially when you are a bit more mature and have a fiance / serious relationship. There's a serious single, going out to get drunk contingent at any school.

Curious why you think so?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

NYC Law

Gold

Post by NYC Law » Fri Dec 02, 2011 11:05 pm

ph14 wrote:

If you don't recognize the problem with law students, you are the problem.

rawrab

New

Post by rawrab » Fri Dec 02, 2011 11:10 pm

Do you have friends outside of law school? I have a strong network of friends but don't really click with anybody at my law school and like to get out of there as quickly as possible. It reminds me of some weird mix of high school and all the bad parts of undergrad. I think it's pretty normal not to get a long with law students, especially when you are a bit more mature and have a fiance / serious relationship. There's a serious single, going out to get drunk contingent at any school.

But, I'm just saying you might not actually be a loner --- you might just be not fit in with law students, which is something to be proud of .
This is exactly how I feel. I have friends outside of law school that I hang out with on the weekends but I just don't click with anyone at school either. My personality at school and home/with friends is very different. At school I'm serious and quiet and just want to get the hell out of there, while at home and with friends I am pretty fun and outgoing. Sometimes law school just makes me feel like a huge loser that can't get along with any lawyers. And then when people do sometimes invite me to go to lunch or hang out, I just want to get my work done as soon as possible so I can leave/finish studying so I have to decline which makes me feel bad. It's all just so annoying.

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Fri Dec 02, 2011 11:11 pm

rawrab wrote:

But, I'm just saying you might not actually be a loner --- you might just be not fit in with law students, which is something to be proud of .
This is exactly how I feel. I have friends outside of law school that I hang out with on the weekends but I just don't click with anyone at school either. My personality at school and home/with friends is very different. At school I'm serious and quiet and just want to get the hell out of there, while at home and with friends I am pretty fun and outgoing. Sometimes law school just makes me feel like a huge loser that can't get along with any lawyers. And then when people do sometimes invite me to go to lunch or hang out, I just want to get my work done as soon as possible so I can leave/finish studying so I have to decline which makes me feel bad. It's all just so annoying.
I think you'll be fine once you get a job and aren't in school.

ph14

Gold

Post by ph14 » Fri Dec 02, 2011 11:11 pm

NYC Law wrote:
ph14 wrote:

If you don't recognize the problem with law students, you are the problem.
:roll:

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

headandshoulderos

Bronze

Post by headandshoulderos » Fri Dec 02, 2011 11:12 pm

rawrab wrote:

Ya, you're just normal. I guarantee you most lawyers wouldn't be able to hang out with typical law students for extended periods of time either.

ahduth

Gold

Post by ahduth » Fri Dec 02, 2011 11:14 pm

NYC Law wrote:If you don't recognize the problem with law students, you are the problem.
You're either part of the problem, or part of the solution.

sccjnthn

New

Post by sccjnthn » Fri Dec 02, 2011 11:32 pm

I would also assume that this might become a problem once you advance in your career and start needing to attract clients. I've heard that as you progress salesmanship really becomes the key to continuing to advance...it seems like much of the details of lawyering can be shoveled off on "of counsel" and the lower level associates.

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Fri Dec 02, 2011 11:40 pm

MrAnon wrote:There are lots of women like you in the profession. generally my sense is that they hate it, they are just doing it to pay off their loans, and they try to get out as soon as possible.
Really insightful.

prezidentv8

Gold

Post by prezidentv8 » Sat Dec 03, 2011 12:01 am

headandshoulderos wrote:you might just be not fit in with law students, which is something to be proud of :).
Checking in. 8)

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”