List of Treatises Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
delusional

Silver

List of Treatises

Post by delusional » Sun Oct 30, 2011 4:18 pm

Can we get a list of useful treatises going? By treatises, I mean the big and reliable secondary sources. I don't know if I'm even using the word correctly, which kind of illustrates the point of this thread - I am trying to do research, and the worst part is when you try following a trail of cases and you end up at Federal Practice and Procedure, or Williston on Contracts, and you realize that there's a chapter on the very topic that you just spent the whole day on, but you didn't know because nobody told you, and Lexis/Westlaw are too snooty to separate books like that by usefulness or even by identifying characteristic.

So what books are there like that?
I'll start:
Federal Practice and Procedure - Wright, Miller
Williston on Contracts

What is there on torts? Is Prosser and Keeton that sort of book?
How bout property?
Etc.

ephemeral.bete.noire

New

Re: List of Treatises

Post by ephemeral.bete.noire » Sun Oct 30, 2011 10:40 pm

Restatement of..

gothamm

Silver

Post by gothamm » Mon Oct 31, 2011 1:55 am

:|

(hint: check the very first thread in this forum)

delusional

Silver

Post by delusional » Mon Oct 31, 2011 9:48 am

gothamm wrote::|

(hint: check the very first thread in this forum)
The very first thread on this forum might be the place where this topic should be listed, but it isn't. There are a few topics that ask the question, but I haven't found the answer.

To be clear, the type of book I am looking for is not an E and E, nor a supplement, nor a guidebook. I am looking specifically for treatises, and more specifically, treatises that say the way things are, over those that discuss the way they ought to be. I want the type of resource that will help you as a starting point if you are researching something, not making an argument or summarizing something you did in class.

spondee

Bronze

Post by spondee » Mon Oct 31, 2011 10:07 am

There's going to be a handful of these for every area of the law. You're probably better off learning how to use Lexis and Westlaw well enough to locate them when you need to begin researching something new. You don't need to know their names to do that. But, yeah, they are a great place to begin research.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”