1L Exam Prep and Motivation Thread Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
thegrayman

Silver

Re: 1L Exam Prep and Motivation Thread

Post by thegrayman » Sun Dec 04, 2011 12:22 am

Anyone have a good resource for an erie question? I have the E&E already, I'll review that again, but anyone have anything in addition to that?

Also, anyone have a hypo with an erie problem in it? I'm trying to conceptualize how it will look on an actual exam Q.

crossarmant

Silver

Post by crossarmant » Sun Dec 04, 2011 1:23 am

thegrayman wrote:Anyone have a good resource for an erie question? I have the E&E already, I'll review that again, but anyone have anything in addition to that?

Also, anyone have a hypo with an erie problem in it? I'm trying to conceptualize how it will look on an actual exam Q.
Richard Freer's "Into to Civil Procedure" F'in gold.

theavrock

Silver

Post by theavrock » Sun Dec 04, 2011 1:42 am

so i cut the shit out of my middle finger this evening and as i looked at it bleeding all I thought was "I wonder how many wpm this is going to take off for exams"

thanks law school

ph14

Gold

Post by ph14 » Sun Dec 04, 2011 1:48 am

theavrock wrote:so i cut the shit out of my middle finger this evening and as i looked at it bleeding all I thought was "I wonder how many wpm this is going to take off for exams"

thanks law school
You know you're a law student when...

Extension_Cord

Silver

Post by Extension_Cord » Sun Dec 04, 2011 1:57 am

Do you suppose the Glannon Guide to Civil Procedure 2003 edition will be worth spending $12 on compared to the 2009 edition for $30?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

ph14

Gold

Post by ph14 » Sun Dec 04, 2011 1:59 am

Extension_Cord wrote:Do you suppose the Glannon Guide to Civil Procedure 2003 edition will be worth spending $12 on compared to the 2009 edition for $30?
Personally, i'd get the 2009 edition. There have been some fairly significant decisions in between. I can think of at least 3 and i'm probably missing a ton.

dabomb75

Bronze

Post by dabomb75 » Sun Dec 04, 2011 2:00 am

ph14 wrote:
Extension_Cord wrote:Do you suppose the Glannon Guide to Civil Procedure 2003 edition will be worth spending $12 on compared to the 2009 edition for $30?
Personally, i'd get the 2009 edition. There have been some fairly significant decisions in between. I can think of at least 3 and i'm probably missing a ton.
+1

crossarmant

Silver

Post by crossarmant » Sun Dec 04, 2011 2:02 am

ph14 wrote:You know you're a law student when...
... You watch a football game and all you can think about is implicit consent to battery.

ph14

Gold

Post by ph14 » Sun Dec 04, 2011 2:05 am

crossarmant wrote:
ph14 wrote:You know you're a law student when...
... You watch a football game and all you can think about is implicit consent to battery.
...You see a railroad and think "death trap."

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Extension_Cord

Silver

Post by Extension_Cord » Sun Dec 04, 2011 2:10 am

ph14 wrote:
Thanks, really appreciate it. I know some classes there hasnt been a lot of changes in the past decade, but others there have. I'll pony up and buy the 2009 edition if my exam is multiple choice.

Are most civil procedure exams multiple choice or essay?

ph14

Gold

Post by ph14 » Sun Dec 04, 2011 2:14 am

Extension_Cord wrote:
ph14 wrote:
Thanks, really appreciate it. I know some classes there hasnt been a lot of changes in the past decade, but others there have. I'll pony up and buy the 2009 edition if my exam is multiple choice.

Depends on your prof. Mine's all essay, which I think is more common.

sknight323

New

Post by sknight323 » Sun Dec 04, 2011 2:37 am

Mine was all essay.

sundance95

Gold

Post by sundance95 » Sun Dec 04, 2011 4:03 am

Extension_Cord wrote:
ph14 wrote:

Buying the 2003 edition would be a huge mistake. For example, the pleading doctrine you teach yourself will be completely fucked.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Extension_Cord

Silver

Post by Extension_Cord » Sun Dec 04, 2011 4:29 am

sundance95 wrote:
Extension_Cord wrote:
ph14 wrote:

Buying the 2003 edition would be a huge mistake. For example, the pleading doctrine you teach yourself will be completely fucked.
Is the 2009 edition still good? Its the latest out.

sknight323

New

Post by sknight323 » Sun Dec 04, 2011 5:15 am

As long as it has Iqbal (2009), then I think it's good (which covers pleading). But you'll still have to look at Nicastro (2010) (personal jurisdiction).

K question - If I tell somebody "if you find my dog, I will give $100" then I am basically offering a unilateral contract, correct?

The offeree then searches for my dog, but cannot find the dog. Does this create an option contract? I would assume this is beginning performance. And, let's say the offeree incurs some type of monetary damage due to him trying to complete/accept the K. So, basically, does this scenario create an option contract under §45, and can he collect any kind of damages from me, if they exist?

Or, would this basically be limited to §87(2)? Confused. Halp.

And can someone explain §87(1) to me a bit...the whole part about consideration, and it creating a new K has me confused. There's no situation in which there would be a promissory estoppel claim in an §87(1) scenario for the consideration of the firm offer because then that would just lead to §87(2), right?

Also, what happens if I made a K for a firm offer in 87(1), but then the other party breaches it - I promised to keep my land open, and they promised to pay 1 dollar in at least 30 days. They ended up never paying the dollar, but I kept my land open to them for 30 days waiting for their dollar, which never came. Can I collect only the dollar because the breached K for the firm offer, or does them breaching that K lead to me being able to collect any consequential damages from them not buying the land b/c I kept it off the market? This separate K thing has me confused. Explain it to me like I am 5 years old, because at this point in the night, I pretty much am an idiot.

What the fuck am I talking about? Am I retarded?

TheFutureLawyer

Gold

Post by TheFutureLawyer » Sun Dec 04, 2011 8:32 am

Now at the point of 2 days to study for each exam. Shit's on.
sknight323 wrote:As long as it has Iqbal (2009), then I think it's good (which covers pleading). But you'll still have to look at Nicastro (2010) (personal jurisdiction).
Also LL Bean was from '03, so that prob wasn't in any '03 book. And Goodyear Dunlop was from '11. One thing that I figured was that we'd go over the recent Walmart v Dukes case during the class actions part of the class, but I guess not (actually, the Circuit ruling, which went the other way as SCOTUS, was a small note in the case book as part of our reading, but we didn't go over it in class).

morris248

Bronze

Post by morris248 » Sun Dec 04, 2011 9:54 am

K question - If I tell somebody "if you find my dog, I will give $100" then I am basically offering a unilateral contract, correct?

The offeree then searches for my dog, but cannot find the dog. Does this create an option contract? I would assume this is beginning performance. And, let's say the offeree incurs some type of monetary damage due to him trying to complete/accept the K. So, basically, does this scenario create an option contract under §45, and can he collect any kind of damages from me, if they exist?
This is known as a reward offer that must be communicated. It can only be accepted by performance so it is a unilateral contract. However, the party must know of the offer in order to collect but if they do not perform then they can collect nothing, there are no damages. In other words if someone else finds your dog and did not know of the reward you do not have to pay them.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

$peppercorn

Bronze

Post by $peppercorn » Sun Dec 04, 2011 10:08 am

morris248 wrote:

This is known as a reward offer that must be communicated. It can only be accepted by performance so it is a unilateral contract. However, the party must know of the offer in order to collect but if they do not perform then they can collect nothing, there are no damages. In other words if someone else finds your dog and did not know of the reward you do not have to pay them.
I believe the rule that offers must be communicated is not limited to reward offers.

alicrimson

Silver

Post by alicrimson » Sun Dec 04, 2011 11:15 am

Has anyone used the sum and substance lectures? We had them available in the library and I took out the Dressler one because he is the author of my book, my teacher quotes his supplement verbatim, and my learning style is fairly auditory. I really liked it for crim but am debating using them for the other classes. Anyone use them for torts or contracts?

$peppercorn

Bronze

Post by $peppercorn » Sun Dec 04, 2011 11:23 am

alicrimson wrote:Has anyone used the sum and substance lectures? We had them available in the library and I took out the Dressler one because he is the author of my book, my teacher quotes his supplement verbatim, and my learning style is fairly auditory. I really liked it for crim but am debating using them for the other classes. Anyone use them for torts or contracts?
I used the contract sum and substance and I actually thought it was good. The guy's voice takes some getting use to. But overall it was good.

Sandro

Gold

Post by Sandro » Sun Dec 04, 2011 11:30 am

You have 10 pages to put anything you want on for your K exam in 2 days.

What would you put on them ???? I have a pretty good feel for everything but its not memorized ........

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

alicrimson

Silver

Post by alicrimson » Sun Dec 04, 2011 12:14 pm

Sandro wrote:You have 10 pages to put anything you want on for your K exam in 2 days.

What would you put on them ???? I have a pretty good feel for everything but its not memorized ........
Like an attack sheet? Too much reading on my part. Are you guys limited to 10 pages of material that you can bring into the exam?

TatteredDignity

Gold

Post by TatteredDignity » Sun Dec 04, 2011 12:26 pm

Starting to become disgruntled and cynical about the whole system, and exams haven't even started yet. I've done all the right things, taken a ton of PTs, gone over them with my study group and my profs, feel ready to take exams. But I feel like everyone else is doing the same things, and we're all gonna end up at median.

Le sigh.

ph14

Gold

Post by ph14 » Sun Dec 04, 2011 12:29 pm

0LNewbie wrote:Starting to become disgruntled and cynical about the whole system, and exams haven't even started yet. I've done all the right things, taken a ton of PTs, gone over them with my study group and my profs, feel ready to take exams. But I feel like everyone else is doing the same things, and we're all gonna end up at median.

Le sigh.
Yep, I know this feeling. Facebook should have a no exam related statuses or comments rule for the month of December for law students.

TatteredDignity

Gold

Post by TatteredDignity » Sun Dec 04, 2011 12:47 pm

ph14 wrote:
0LNewbie wrote:Starting to become disgruntled and cynical about the whole system, and exams haven't even started yet. I've done all the right things, taken a ton of PTs, gone over them with my study group and my profs, feel ready to take exams. But I feel like everyone else is doing the same things, and we're all gonna end up at median.

Le sigh.
Yep, I know this feeling. Facebook should have a no exam related statuses or comments rule for the month of December for law students.
Haha, thanks for the commiseration. If I went to your school, I wouldn't worry about everyone possibly being smarter than I am, I would just know. Not sure how you're dealing with that.

I have definitely dome some serious unsubscribing from facebook status updates.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”