How to buy case summary books?

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )

How to buy case summary books?

Postby gbpackerbacker » Sat Sep 03, 2011 7:03 pm

I'm considering buying case summary books for a couple of classes, and I have a few questions.

- Are they helpful?
- Do they have to be "keyed" to the exact book in the course, or can I just use one keyed to the same subject?

Edit: I will use them to supplement the summary books.

Re: How to buy case summary books?

Postby morris248 » Sat Sep 03, 2011 8:41 pm

You can find the case briefs online for free.

Postby Metaread » Sat Sep 03, 2011 11:29 pm

I think Kaplan and BarBri also offer "1L guide" books, I'm not sure how useful they are, but after scanning a friend's copy of the Kaplan book I can verify they have case briefs there. Online case briefs tend to be shorter though.

Postby justinlgordon » Sun Sep 04, 2011 12:53 pm

Since the other replies did not answer your questions, I will.

Yes, they are helpful, but sometimes incorrect so be careful.

Yes, they need to be keyed to the books you have or you will not have the same cases and the ordering will be incorrect.

A good place to find them is -- they have decent ones ranging from $30-40 per book. You can get digital versions (if you have Aspen law study desk which is a poor quality piece of software they make), or you can get paperback (i would recommend this option).

Another place is on amazon. You can get "high court case summaries" keyed to particular books which is an alternative to the aspen ones...

A Free alternative is although they are often lacking. Of course, you can also always use the small summaries at the top of Lexisnexis searches too...

good luck

Postby missinglink » Sun Sep 04, 2011 2:38 pm

Postby pleasetryagain » Sun Sep 04, 2011 2:59 pm

I like buying hard copes of the briefs keyed to the casebooks I'm using. That said, I also use Quimbee pretty regularly (great for 1L classes and are keyed to the major casebooks). You ahve to pay for it but it is ~$5/month and you can turn off the billing when youre not using it.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”