1 Year Off before 1L Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
cmckid

New

1 Year Off before 1L

Post by cmckid » Thu Jun 09, 2011 2:24 pm

I'm studying in China starting in September and running through May. While my classes will certainly be time consuming and difficult, I only have instruction six hours a day and have been told that the homework only runs around 3 hours. THen in Januray I intern, but will have plenty of time after that.

So my question is, what would you suggest I read during my year off(ish)? I've picked up Farnsworth's "The Legal Analyst", Nolo "Legal Research", and the E&E on Civ Pro since I've heard being more familiar with the terminology can help a lot.

I thought going through these books and outlining the major cases might be useful, but I've been told that Professors don't like it when you refer to cases they didn't cover in class. Can someone confirm that?

Anything else I should look at? (Don't tell me nothing)

ColomboHeat

New

Re: 1 Year Off before 1L

Post by ColomboHeat » Thu Jun 09, 2011 2:27 pm

nothing.

enjoy China.

don't spend this fantastic opportunity reading books about law school.

savagedm

Bronze

Re: 1 Year Off before 1L

Post by savagedm » Thu Jun 09, 2011 4:37 pm

cmckid wrote:I'm studying in China starting in September and running through May. While my classes will certainly be time consuming and difficult, I only have instruction six hours a day and have been told that the homework only runs around 3 hours. THen in Januray I intern, but will have plenty of time after that.

So my question is, what would you suggest I read during my year off(ish)? I've picked up Farnsworth's "The Legal Analyst", Nolo "Legal Research", and the E&E on Civ Pro since I've heard being more familiar with the terminology can help a lot.

I thought going through these books and outlining the major cases might be useful, but I've been told that Professors don't like it when you refer to cases they didn't cover in class. Can someone confirm that?

Anything else I should look at? (Don't tell me nothing)
I would suggest Game of Thrones. I have fallen in love with this series on HBO and the books are 100x better I'm told. Another good choice would be "Earth" by Jon Stewart. I would stay away from books with boring titles and boring text - you won't have a leg-up on the competition and you will have wasted your life by at least 50 to 100 hours.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”