Got an F - Dropping out.... Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
disbarred

New

Got an F - Dropping out....

Post by disbarred » Thu Jun 02, 2011 11:43 pm

I don't know how it happened. Still dumbfounded. I had a 3.2 (T25) going into this semester and did fine in my other classes this semester. This class effectively eviscerated my GPA. The exam was a classic issue spotter and I felt like I did a decent job...but I guess not. I just don't understand how anyone can get an F on an issue spotter. I spoke to the Dean who was apparently approached by the prof about my score...supposedly the score was re-tallied against the rubric and ended up the same. In any case, it seems my only alternative is to concede defeat and stop the bleeding. I'm already 50k in the hole and it doesn't make any economic sense to accrue more debt. It's just sad that one exam can derail everything. I'm appalled that law school profs can dish out D's and F's on a subjectively graded exam with a curve and in this job climate. I just feel like everything I've invested into this endeavor over the last year is all in vain with nothing to show for it. I've never seen an F and feel like an imbecile. You figure a good faith effort would warrant a C at worst. But I guess I have to live with the shame. The only silver lining in all this is that my job prospects probably would've been bleak regardless and I'd be an additional 100k in the hole. I worked in finance for a number of years prior to law school and have sufficient contacts in the industry to be able to land a job again. It's just an expensive lesson learned. Anyways, there's no purpose to this rant...I'm not looking for sympathy and criticism is warranted. You guys have provided a wealth of information and support and I'm appreciative. Best of luck to all of you and I hope none of you have to experience anything akin to this.

MVPson

New

Re: Got an F - Dropping out....

Post by MVPson » Thu Jun 02, 2011 11:49 pm

sounds like a big life decision is in the works. best of luck to you, my friend. best of luck.

NYC Law

Gold

Post by NYC Law » Thu Jun 02, 2011 11:50 pm

Would you care to go in depth about what you did wrong so at least us 0Ls can try to learn from your mistakes?

FantasticMrFox

Silver

Post by FantasticMrFox » Thu Jun 02, 2011 11:51 pm

It is a good thing that you have connections to get back on your feet; good luck!

soaponarope

Bronze

Post by soaponarope » Fri Jun 03, 2011 12:09 am

NYC Law wrote:Would you care to go in depth about what you did wrong so at least us 0Ls can try to learn from your mistakes?

Read newb: OP clearly states, "I don't know how it happened. Still dumbfounded."

Edit: Anyway, OP you go to a top law school. A little adversity and you're just going to quit? If becoming a lawyer is your dream, your passion, then buckle that f'ing chin strap and get to it. As cliche as this may sound, when there is a will there is a way. Retake the class, beg the prof, challenge the grade, just do everything in your power to fix this shit. And even if you can't... remember, they still call the last guy who graduates in your class a lawyer.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

disbarred

New

Post by disbarred » Fri Jun 03, 2011 12:19 am

NYC Law wrote:Would you care to go in depth about what you did wrong so at least us 0Ls can try to learn from your mistakes?

I wish I knew. That grade was a complete aberration. I prepped for that exam as much as I had done for others. I'm planning on meeting the prof to review the exam so that I have some closure.

protein

Bronze

Post by protein » Fri Jun 03, 2011 12:19 am

soaponarope wrote:

Read newb: OP clearly states, "I don't know how it happened. Still dumbfounded."

Edit: Anyway, OP you go to a top law school. A little adversity and you're just going to quit? If becoming a lawyer is your dream, your passion, then buckle that f'ing chin strap and get to it. As cliche as this may sound, when there is a will there is a way. Retake the class, beg the prof, challenge the grade, just do everything in your power to fix this shit. And even if you can't... remember, they still call the last guy who graduates in your class a lawyer.
OP got a 0.0 for a class. His GPA is now dead.

He's making the right move imo, a 50k loss isn't so bad in the long run.

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Fri Jun 03, 2011 12:20 am

soaponarope wrote:

Debts brother.

JamMasterJ

Platinum

Post by JamMasterJ » Fri Jun 03, 2011 12:24 am

shit dude, that sucks

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

uvahooo

Bronze

Post by uvahooo » Fri Jun 03, 2011 12:26 am

WHY quit NOW?

I know i am going to be hated for this.... but
1) what do you envision your life doing? DO you SEE yourself as a lawyer?

extempore88

New

Post by extempore88 » Fri Jun 03, 2011 12:27 am

What is your school's policy on a retake? Does your grade on the second attempt substitute for the 0.0 for GPA purposes?

icon13

New

Post by icon13 » Fri Jun 03, 2011 12:28 am

soaponarope wrote:

I agree. You learn more from your failures than your successes (This is coming from a person who's failed a lot, so take it for what its worth). Successful people succeed no matter what adversity faces them. Before you quit, take it as far as you can and do not take no for an answer. If you cause a stir, fuck it. What are they going to do if you upset some people. If you don't get what you want, make it hell for them. A single voice can have an amazing impact.
Last edited by icon13 on Fri Jun 03, 2011 9:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

disbarred

New

Post by disbarred » Fri Jun 03, 2011 12:28 am

soaponarope wrote:

Under ordinary circumstances I wouldn't succumb to this adversity. But I have to be realistic about my prospects. It would take a herculean effort to salvage that abysmal gpa. Plus, my prospects are hopeless in a job environment where students ranked in the top 20% with law review credentials aren't getting jobs. I never imagined things would come to this.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

soaponarope

Bronze

Post by soaponarope » Fri Jun 03, 2011 12:30 am

rad law wrote:
soaponarope wrote:

Debts brother.
Most of us are similarly situated in debt. Law students are always thinking in the short term (I'm guilty of it). But, most firms do not care about your grades after X amount of years in practice. Also, if you have below a 3.0 ya don't put that shit on your resume so it's not like OP will be singled out in the job hunt amongst a majority of his peers. Plus, he goes to a top 25 school... that alone is validation that OP has a brain.

Yea, the safe route is to drop out... but, if you truly want to practice law you will always wonder what if. I feel for the OP. I too would sincerely consider dropping out.

seatown12

Silver

Post by seatown12 » Fri Jun 03, 2011 12:32 am

So what if he got a 0.0, once you're below say 33% (at a t25) your GPA is irrelevant. This F is only dispositive if he's Biglaw or bust.
disbarred wrote:my prospects are hopeless in a job environment where students ranked in the top 20% with law review credentials aren't getting jobs. I never imagined things would come to this.
Plenty of people with worse academic credentials are getting the jobs they want. The person you describe probably bid poorly or is a bad interview. There is not 80% unemployment among t25 grads.
Last edited by seatown12 on Fri Jun 03, 2011 12:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

disbarred

New

Post by disbarred » Fri Jun 03, 2011 12:32 am

extempore88 wrote:What is your school's policy on a retake? Does your grade on the second attempt substitute for the 0.0 for GPA purposes?
Unfortunately the retake grade wouldn't supersede the original grade.

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Fri Jun 03, 2011 12:51 am

soaponarope wrote:
rad law wrote:
soaponarope wrote:

Debts brother.
Most of us are similarly situated in debt. Law students are always thinking in the short term (I'm guilty of it). But, most firms do not care about your grades after X amount of years in practice. Also, if you have below a 3.0 ya don't put that shit on your resume so it's not like OP will be singled out in the job hunt amongst a majority of his peers. Plus, he goes to a top 25 school... that alone is validation that OP has a brain.

Yea, the safe route is to drop out... but, if you truly want to practice law you will always wonder what if. I feel for the OP. I too would sincerely consider dropping out.
I wouldn't drop, but with a finance background, I might.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

haus

Gold

Post by haus » Fri Jun 03, 2011 12:55 am

disbarred wrote:
extempore88 wrote:What is your school's policy on a retake? Does your grade on the second attempt substitute for the 0.0 for GPA purposes?
Unfortunately the retake grade wouldn't supersede the original grade.
For what it is worth, assuming that 84 credits are required for your JD, if you went through your entire program (with the exception of this one course) with a 3.2, your end GPA would be 3.05 (assuming the F was a four credit course, if it was only a three credit course then you would end up with a 3.09).

barry

Bronze

Post by barry » Fri Jun 03, 2011 12:56 am

Your school doesn't force profs to give out F's right? this professor has to be a huge A-hole to give anyone an F who gave a good faith effort

traehekat

Gold

Post by traehekat » Fri Jun 03, 2011 1:07 am

you certainly have my sympathy if that's indeed what you were looking for. :(

boiler cat

New

Post by boiler cat » Fri Jun 03, 2011 1:10 am

OP you go to a top law school. A little adversity and you're just going to quit? If becoming a lawyer is your dream, your passion, then buckle that f'ing chin strap and get to it.
Tend to agree with this.

My math may be wrong but with 3.2 gpa after 1st semester (15 cr/sem), then now you're at ~2.8+ if rest of 2nd semester = 3.2. You're back over 3.0 after 2L by maintaining a 3.2, 3.1 at end of 3L. Bump up to 3.4 and you've recovered (easier said than done but not impossible). That's assuming all other appeals don't remedy the grade. But still...

if you are in a T25, you've done plenty right thus far. Perhaps it's not what you envisioned entering law school but with your solid W/E and the work ethic displayed as 2L/3L, you will parlay that with a first rate education and it will pay off.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

BruceWayne

Gold

Post by BruceWayne » Fri Jun 03, 2011 1:12 am

barry wrote:Your school doesn't force profs to give out F's right? this professor has to be a huge A-hole to give anyone an F who gave a good faith effort
Exactly. Honestly your professor is an Asshole. No one should get an F on a forced curve law exam if they are not saying things that are repeatedly incorrect or inappropriate (especially in this climate). So wth did he think merited giving you an F? Not spotting enough issues? That's garbage. Talk to the dean.

traehekat

Gold

Post by traehekat » Fri Jun 03, 2011 1:14 am

tend to agree with others about raising a little bit of hell over this. an F is almost unheard of in law school, and you don't sound like the kind of student who would even come close to warranting such a grade.

disbarred

New

Post by disbarred » Fri Jun 03, 2011 1:18 am

barry wrote:Your school doesn't force profs to give out F's right? this professor has to be a huge A-hole to give anyone an F who gave a good faith effort
Our school doesn't force profs to give out F's. I didn't think our prof had a dick streak but who knows. The thing that kills me is that I discussed my exam responses with fellow classmates afterwards and I felt like I identified many of the central issues. Oh well. Fail.

geoduck

Silver

Post by geoduck » Fri Jun 03, 2011 1:19 am

Real Amuricans stick with it until Mission Accomplished. Pussy.

But my old Producer just took me out for drinks, so my current opinion might not be totally valid.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”