Law Review Personal Statement Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
kazootey

New

Law Review Personal Statement

Post by kazootey » Sat May 07, 2011 10:43 pm

I just received the instructions for my school's law review write-on competition, and there is a personal statement required. The directions say that the Law Review values diversity in their writers that reflect a range of beliefs, perspectives and life experiences. I am wondering, however, if it would be appropriate to talk my own political beliefs in the personal statement. My school is very liberal, and I am decidedly not. Am I at risk of being judged differently (though anonymously) if I talk about life experiences directly related to my political views? Or should I just talk about something else?

haberbe

New

Re: Law Review Personal Statement

Post by haberbe » Mon May 09, 2011 11:33 am

no one cares about your views. these submissions are read by fellow students that don't want to read them. they probably have this requirement because the school administration forces them to. don't take it seriously, and try to make it at least worthy of a chuckle. just remember that no one cares what you think or what you views are, but people always appreciate a laugh. I know that I will have to be reading these things over the summer, it is the last thing i want to do, and i will appreciate the submissions that make it easiest for me to finish quickly.

vamedic03

Gold

Post by vamedic03 » Mon May 09, 2011 8:54 pm

haberbe wrote:no one cares about your views. these submissions are read by fellow students that don't want to read them. they probably have this requirement because the school administration forces them to. don't take it seriously, and try to make it at least worthy of a chuckle. just remember that no one cares what you think or what you views are, but people always appreciate a laugh. I know that I will have to be reading these things over the summer, it is the last thing i want to do, and i will appreciate the submissions that make it easiest for me to finish quickly.
This is distinctly bad advice for Law Reviews that have diversity programs.

Further, I hope that you actually take your LR responsibilities seriously.

zanda

Silver

Post by zanda » Mon May 09, 2011 9:47 pm

despite Grutter being about a diversity of viewpoints, that's not the kind of diversity they're looking for.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”