Computers for Law School 2011 Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
PaulKriske

Bronze

Re: Computers for Law School 2011

Post by PaulKriske » Fri Jul 06, 2012 8:11 pm

llachans wrote:1. What is the difference between Macbook Air and Macbook Pro?

http://www.store.apple.com

haus

Gold

Post by haus » Fri Jul 06, 2012 8:43 pm

llachans wrote:Hey guys! I have two computer-related questions.

1. What is the difference between Macbook Air and Macbook Pro?
2. Is a 15 inch screen worth extra money over a 13 inch screen? I've been told by law students that it's essential to have a big enough screen to open multiple windows at a time, especially during exam-taking.

Input would be fantastic. Thank you!
1. In the default config, the three most notable differences in the Air compared to the Pro are: smaller size, SSD vice traditional hard drive, minimal ports/features. The size/weight difference is obvious. The SSD is faster than the traditional HD, and potentially more resistance to physical damage via jolts, but will have considerable less capacity. Finally the ports you are giving up include a physical ethernet port, extra USB, DVD drive, Kensington lock slot, memory card slot (does not exit on 11", exist on 13" but more limited).

2. 15" screen is more roomy, and the new (but pricey) retina screen looks really nice. How much this would matter for school depends a great deal on the user.

Happy hunting,

rinkrat19

Diamond

Post by rinkrat19 » Fri Jul 06, 2012 10:03 pm

Got an alert for $450 off Envy laptops. I've got mine so I won't be testing it out myself, but thought someone might be interested.

http://slickdeals.net/f/4851698-HP-ENVY ... st51481526

llachans

Silver

Post by llachans » Sat Jul 07, 2012 12:21 pm

haus wrote:
1. In the default config, the three most notable differences in the Air compared to the Pro are: smaller size, SSD vice traditional hard drive, minimal ports/features. The size/weight difference is obvious. The SSD is faster than the traditional HD, and potentially more resistance to physical damage via jolts, but will have considerable less capacity. Finally the ports you are giving up include a physical ethernet port, extra USB, DVD drive, Kensington lock slot, memory card slot (does not exit on 11", exist on 13" but more limited).

2. 15" screen is more roomy, and the new (but pricey) retina screen looks really nice. How much this would matter for school depends a great deal on the user.

Happy hunting,
Thank you! I admit that I'm not the most technologically savvy, so thank you for breaking it down for me in three major ways. I'm leaning towards the MBP 13". Decisions, decisions!!!!

ResolutePear

Platinum

Post by ResolutePear » Sat Jul 07, 2012 1:15 pm

llachans wrote:
haus wrote:

Happy hunting,
Thank you! I admit that I'm not the most technologically savvy, so thank you for breaking it down for me in three major ways. I'm leaning towards the MBP 13". Decisions, decisions!!!!
On another note, check out stuff available via thunderbolt ports on both models.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Platinum

Post by 2014 » Sat Jul 07, 2012 4:37 pm

I'm not familiar with how often apple updates it's products, is the current line of Airs and Pros what it is going to be for a while? I know they just improved some things recently, but if they are just going to release new shit in August I'll wait. Is it usually a once a year update to the line?

Eta: Would you go with a Pro or an Air? 128 GB is a sufficiently large hard drive for what I use it for, not sure if the slower GHz on the Air will make a difference.

haus

Gold

Post by haus » Sat Jul 07, 2012 5:14 pm

2014 wrote:I'm not familiar with how often apple updates it's products, is the current line of Airs and Pros what it is going to be for a while? I know they just improved some things recently, but if they are just going to release new shit in August I'll wait. Is it usually a once a year update to the line?

Eta: Would you go with a Pro or an Air? 128 GB is a sufficiently large hard drive for what I use it for, not sure if the slower GHz on the Air will make a difference.
You can use this site to see how long it has been for a given model to be updated and how that compares to past gaps. It helps to get a good feel for you chances of seeing a new model roll out the week after you plan to buy...

http://buyersguide.macrumors.com/

I am a big fan of the small form factor system, such as the Air. But at the same time, my portable system is not my only computer, if you have a heavy load of demands from your computer and your laptop will be your only system, you may want to think about the items (ports, DVD, etc...) that you would be giving up on the Air model compared to the Pro models. If these are not items that you will need then you have nothing to worry about.

The impact of the speed for the SSD over that of a traditional drive will exceed the impact of the processor speed difference for most uses that would be typical of a law student.

Platinum

Post by 2014 » Sat Jul 07, 2012 5:35 pm

haus wrote:
2014 wrote:I'm not familiar with how often apple updates it's products, is the current line of Airs and Pros what it is going to be for a while? I know they just improved some things recently, but if they are just going to release new shit in August I'll wait. Is it usually a once a year update to the line?

You can use this site to see how long it has been for a given model to be updated and how that compares to past gaps. It helps to get a good feel for you chances of seeing a new model roll out the week after you plan to buy...

http://buyersguide.macrumors.com/

I am a big fan of the small form factor system, such as the Air. But at the same time, my portable system is not my only computer, if you have a heavy load of demands from your computer and your laptop will be your only system, you may want to think about the items (ports, DVD, etc...) that you would be giving up on the Air model compared to the Pro models. If these are not items that you will need then you have nothing to worry about.

The impact of the speed for the SSD over that of a traditional drive will exceed the impact of the processor speed difference for most uses that would be typical of a law student.
Thanks for the link and advice. I have a PC I'm bringing as well that will stay in my apartment, so it sounds like an Air would probably be the right answer here.

TTRansfer

Gold

Post by TTRansfer » Sun Jul 08, 2012 12:27 pm

Should have my Retina Pro here on Tuesday. Stoked!

Really thinking about buying an iPad for supplements and some note taking. Would work better as a 2L than a 1L, I'd think.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Redamon1

Bronze

Post by Redamon1 » Sun Jul 08, 2012 12:58 pm

I finally decided to go w refurbished 2011 MBA, purchased on Apple's website and picked up in store. Happy w it. It has full 3 year apple care warrantee. I decided Growly Notes would be a fine alternative to OneNote for Mac.

drbarry987

Bronze

Post by drbarry987 » Wed Jul 11, 2012 8:06 am

About to but a think pad before 1P. Was set on the t 420s but now I see they have the t430s, though they changed the keyboard on the new model. I don't care about gaming. And don't care about price. I just want a laptop that is as fast as possible with the best keyboard on the market. Halp me tech bros?!

z0rk

Bronze

Post by z0rk » Wed Jul 11, 2012 10:58 am

drbarry987 wrote:About to but a think pad before 1P. Was set on the t 420s but now I see they have the t430s, though they changed the keyboard on the new model. I don't care about gaming. And don't care about price. I just want a laptop that is as fast as possible with the best keyboard on the market. Halp me tech bros?!
The Thinkpad E430 has simillar specs to the T430 and its cheaper. The keyboards are the same if I am not mistaken.

Wily

Bronze

Post by Wily » Wed Jul 11, 2012 11:13 am

Any opinions on this?
IdeaPad Y580 for $899
Has a 15.6" screen. Will the keyboard be as good as the Thinkpad seriese?

http://shop.lenovo.com/SEUILibrary/cont ... 9A10A0A381

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Paraflam

Bronze

Post by Paraflam » Wed Jul 11, 2012 1:37 pm

drbarry987 wrote:About to but a think pad before 1P. Was set on the t 420s but now I see they have the t430s, though they changed the keyboard on the new model. I don't care about gaming. And don't care about price. I just want a laptop that is as fast as possible with the best keyboard on the market. Halp me tech bros?!
What's so good about the keyboard on those?

haus

Gold

Post by haus » Wed Jul 11, 2012 2:49 pm

Paraflam wrote:
What's so good about the keyboard on those?
For many years (going back to when IBM made these laptops) the thinkpad laptops were known for having top notch keyboards. Primarily they were praised for a superior feel. Now that they are going away from the traditional keyboards they have been making, it will be interesting to see if their longtime fans take to their new keyboards.

For a quick comparison of the old to new keyboards. http://www.gottabemobile.com/2012/05/23 ... -keyboard/

Nammertat

Silver

Post by Nammertat » Wed Jul 11, 2012 5:38 pm

Wily wrote:Any opinions on this?
IdeaPad Y580 for $899
Has a 15.6" screen. Will the keyboard be as good as the Thinkpad seriese?

http://shop.lenovo.com/SEUILibrary/cont ... 9A10A0A381
The T-series notebooks are entirely different, for reasons far more important than they keyboard. They have metal roll cages around the motherboard, metal hinges (vs plastic for ideapads), spill resistant, dust resistant, shock resistant. They're mill spec for all stages except submersion.

drbarry987

Bronze

Post by drbarry987 » Fri Jul 13, 2012 10:59 am

I'm about to buy my laptop for LS. Decided on the T420 after reading this thread (mainly for the keyboard). Could care less about weight, design, gaming, videos etc. But I have ZERO knowledge on what "good" specs are for LS purposes. All I want is fast processing of OneNote and it not freezing up if I'm running a few windows open at the same time.

Is this OK for 1L? Or should I upgrade anything on it?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6834246113

ThinkPad T Series T420 (4177Q5U) Notebook Intel Core i5 2520M(2.50GHz) 14" 4GB Memory DDR3 1333 320GB HDD 7200rpm DVD±R/RW Intel HD Graphics 3000

Really appreciate you tech bro's help.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

thederangedwang

Silver

Post by thederangedwang » Fri Jul 13, 2012 11:00 am

drbarry987 wrote:I'm about to buy my laptop for LS. Decided on the T420 after reading this thread (mainly for the keyboard). Could care less about weight, design, gaming, videos etc. But I have ZERO knowledge on what "good" specs are for LS purposes. All I want is fast processing of OneNote and it not freezing up if I'm running a few windows open at the same time.

ThinkPad T Series T420 (4177Q5U) Notebook Intel Core i5 2520M(2.50GHz) 14" 4GB Memory DDR3 1333 320GB HDD 7200rpm DVD±R/RW Intel HD Graphics 3000

def fast enough, although i think you're overpaying

haus

Gold

Post by haus » Fri Jul 13, 2012 11:14 am

thederangedwang wrote:
drbarry987 wrote:I'm about to buy my laptop for LS. Decided on the T420 after reading this thread (mainly for the keyboard). Could care less about weight, design, gaming, videos etc. But I have ZERO knowledge on what "good" specs are for LS purposes. All I want is fast processing of OneNote and it not freezing up if I'm running a few windows open at the same time.

def fast enough, although i think you're overpaying
I agree that the system should be fast enough for your likely needs. While the price is higher than what you can get in a system with similar specs elsewhere, it does not seem out of line for a T series. These systems are generally considered premium units and come with a bit of a price premium. If the laptop will be your prime or only system, it may be worth while to splurge a bit. If you are looking for a system to be a secondary/ mobile kick around system, then you may want to look for something where you can save a few dollars.

Happy Hunting,

somewhatwayward

Silver

Post by somewhatwayward » Fri Jul 13, 2012 12:59 pm

i'd go with the air if you're planning on bringing it to class because a lighter computer makes a huge difference. i got an ultrabook this year and my back stopped hurting from carrying around a heavy laptop plus casebooks.

Nammertat

Silver

Post by Nammertat » Fri Jul 13, 2012 7:26 pm

I know multiple people using that exact model. Great purchase, well worth the cost for long-term use!

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

laxbrah420

Gold

Post by laxbrah420 » Fri Jul 13, 2012 7:42 pm

buying a pc w/ sandy bridge is dumb.

haus

Gold

Post by haus » Fri Jul 13, 2012 8:52 pm

laxbrah420 wrote:buying a pc w/ sandy bridge is dumb.
Why? Does your word processing needs demand 22 nanometer chips?

Sure it might save a bit on power consumption, but the CPU is not the primary culprit when it comes to killing off your battery.

chickenalfredo

New

Post by chickenalfredo » Sun Jul 15, 2012 5:18 pm

victortsoi wrote:I'm really interested in the 13" vs 15" MBP debate. I'm also waiting till june for the next iteration to come out. I've had the 13" MBP but am curious as to whether the extra screen space = better grades on exams, which is really what we should be caring about, IMO
Bump. I am deciding between the 1499 13"mbp or the 1799 15"mbp. Thoughts? Is the extra screen space necessary?

haus

Gold

Post by haus » Sun Jul 15, 2012 6:37 pm

chickenalfredo wrote: Bump. I am deciding between the 1499 13"mbp or the 1799 15"mbp. Thoughts? Is the extra screen space necessary?
In large part it depends on how you work and what you want. Extra screen space is nice, when I write code I find sitting at my 12" laptop I have problems following my own threads nearly as well as I can when I am working on my 24" desktop. But I find the portability to be exceedingly nice, especially when I need to carry a great deal of other items, saving a bit of mass is appreciated.

Personally if the laptop were to be my only box I would likely go for the larger screen (or splurge for a larger monitor to plug it into when I am home), if I had a 'main' system at home then I would likely go for a smaller screen and enjoy the smaller system while on the move.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”