Need TLS Wisdom: Email Grades Update to Employers?

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
jbarl1

Need TLS Wisdom: Email Grades Update to Employers?

Postby jbarl1 » Sun Jan 16, 2011 1:12 pm

I sent out a bunch of cover letters and resumes over winter break to various possible summer employers. I am not taking a traditional route with summer employment and am seeking positions with universities and other education institutions because I am interested in education law and working in higher education. My resume did not have any grades listed on it for law school because, at the time I sent them out, we had not received any grades yet. As of last week grades are in at my school and I did very well and landed myself two spots outside of the top 5% of my class.

Sadly, I have only heard from one office up to this point, and it was to let me know they do not have any summer opportunities for me.

Should I email the people I sent my materials to and let them know how well I did academically this past semester? If so, does anyone have any tips on what the email should say?
Last edited by jbarl1 on Sun Jan 16, 2011 8:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dakatz

Re: Would it be appropriate to email employers to update?

Postby dakatz » Sun Jan 16, 2011 1:22 pm

jbarl1 wrote:I sent out a bunch of cover letters and resumes over winter break to various possible summer employers. I am not taking a traditional route with summer employment and am seeking positions with universities and other education institutions because I am interested in education law and working in higher education. My resume did not have any grades listed on it for law school because, at the time I sent them out, we had not received any grades yet. As of last week grades are in at my school and I did very well and landed myself two spots outside of the top 5% of my class.

Sadly, I have only heard from one office up to this point, and it was to let me know they do not have any summer opportunities for me.

Should I email the people I sent my materials to and let them know how well I did academically this past semester? If so, does anyone have any tips on what the email should say?

Of course. Thats the main weapon you will use to get hired. Shoot those grades out everywhere you can.

jbarl1

Postby jbarl1 » Sun Jan 16, 2011 1:40 pm

dakatz wrote:
jbarl1 wrote:I sent out a bunch of cover letters and resumes over winter break to various possible summer employers. I am not taking a traditional route with summer employment and am seeking positions with universities and other education institutions because I am interested in education law and working in higher education. My resume did not have any grades listed on it for law school because, at the time I sent them out, we had not received any grades yet. As of last week grades are in at my school and I did very well and landed myself two spots outside of the top 5% of my class.

Of course. Thats the main weapon you will use to get hired. Shoot those grades out everywhere you can.

How should I phrase the email? Any tips?

dakatz

Postby dakatz » Sun Jan 16, 2011 1:48 pm

jbarl1 wrote:
dakatz wrote:

I decided to go the route of informing rather than boasting about my performance. I just took the time to re-express my interest in the position, and tell them that I would like to update my application with my grades from this past semester. I very concisely told them what my GPA was, and referenced an attached grade chart for a breakdown by class. I mentioned again when I would be available for interviews, etc.

jbarl1

Postby jbarl1 » Sun Jan 16, 2011 1:53 pm

dakatz wrote:
jbarl1 wrote:
dakatz wrote:

I decided to go the route of informing rather than boasting about my performance. I just took the time to re-express my interest in the position, and tell them that I would like to update my application with my grades from this past semester. I very concisely told them what my GPA was, and referenced an attached grade chart for a breakdown by class. I mentioned again when I would be available for interviews, etc.

The grade chart is a good idea, thanks!

jbarl1

Postby jbarl1 » Sun Jan 16, 2011 8:25 pm

Anyone else have any feedback?

Lady Finch

Re: Need TLS Wisdom: Email Grades Update to Employers?

Postby Lady Finch » Sun Jan 16, 2011 8:37 pm

I would say email them. It might also be a good way to get an update on if they take interns or not. They will probably be more likely to email someone back because it is so much easier.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”