Probably a dumb question but.......

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )

Probably a dumb question but.......

Postby brockw82 » Mon Jan 10, 2011 11:29 pm

If you are in law school in a state that you aren't sure you want to practice in, how hard is it to find a job back in your home state and where would you even begin looking for employment postings since my school only posts jobs in MN?

I'm currently in the Midwest and would want to see if I could get a job back home in upstate NY, what should I do? How would you take the bar in more than one state? I just want to find out what my options are so if I wanted to move back home I wouldn't be pigeonholed into a particular state.

Re: Probably a dumb question but.......

Postby JaLeCa » Mon Jan 10, 2011 11:37 pm

Depends on the mobility of your degree. If you go to a regional school, etc.

Postby MrKappus » Mon Jan 10, 2011 11:46 pm

Put simply, it's not easy. If you don't have attorney connections back in your home state, then you should go talk to your career services office and see what they have to say. They might have access to postings/listings that you don't. This also depends on where you are in the course of your legal degree. If you're a 1L, then you should try to get something back home to maintain those ties and make it easier to sell them during off-campus interviews this fall. Since so few 1L gigs are paid anyway, you may even want to consider living at home or crashing with friends and volunteering somewhere. If you're a 2L, not sure what you can do b/c it's kind of late in the process.

Either way, it's going to be an uphill battle, but you already know that. Lotsa luck.

Postby random5483 » Tue Jan 11, 2011 2:15 am

Depends on your school. If you are going to a T14 school your mobility should be good. If you are going to a school in the T20 or T30, your mobility should be decent. If you are going to any other school, you will have a hard time getting a job outside of the region (T1s/some T2s) or state (some T2s/T3s/T4s) you are in.

No matter what school you are going to, make sure you get an internship in your target state if you can swing it.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”