Corps/Tax/Fed Courts???

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )

If you had to, which 2 would you pick?

Corporations
43%
Fed Courts
19%
Tax
38%

Total votes: 81

iagolives

Corps/Tax/Fed Courts???

Postby iagolives » Thu Dec 09, 2010 10:12 pm

Hey all,

So, after an argument with a friend, I decided to turn to the wisdom and musings of TLS. If you could only take 2 of the following three before you graduated, which would you take? Corporations, Tax, Fed Courts.
Last edited by iagolives on Fri Dec 10, 2010 12:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

patrickd139

Re: Corps/Tax/Fed Courts???

Postby patrickd139 » Thu Dec 09, 2010 10:16 pm

Depends on career aspirations and who's teaching them. Personally, tax (career aspirations) and fed courts (awesome prof). Tough call just on subject matter, though.

ETA: need poll to garner largest sample

vamedic03

Postby vamedic03 » Fri Dec 10, 2010 12:30 am

iagolives wrote:Hey all,

So, after an argument with a friend, I decided to turn to the wisdom and musings of TLS. If you could only take 2 of the following three before you graduated, which would you take? Corporations, Tax, Fed Courts.

No matter what you are going to do after law school - Corporations.

If you're going to litigate or do a regulatory practice - Fed Courts. Transactional - Tax.

TTH

Postby TTH » Fri Dec 10, 2010 12:38 am

Corporations absolutely. Fed Cts v. Tax depends on what you want to do, like others have said.

iagolives

Postby iagolives » Fri Dec 10, 2010 12:46 am

Not that I expect it to be that riveting of a poll, but I threw one up. Thanks for the suggestion, Patrick.

ggocat

Postby ggocat » Fri Dec 10, 2010 12:48 am

I took tax and fed courts. It seems to me that tax and corps at most schools are like introductory courses that are good for getting a general understanding, but they don't give you enough knowledge to actually do anything. They are both pretty easy to learn without taking the course (coming from someone who learned corps in bar prep). If you have ever filed your own taxes, then tax is relatively easy.

Fed courts is good if you like big picture courses and issues litigated in federal courts. Fed courts seems to vary among schools a bit because the profs have a lot of leeway on what they can and want to teach.

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Fri Dec 10, 2010 12:48 am

As someone taking Fed Courts right now, I voted for Corps and Tax.

iagolives

Postby iagolives » Fri Dec 10, 2010 12:50 am

vamedic03 wrote:
iagolives wrote:Hey all,

No matter what you are going to do after law school - Corporations.

If you're going to litigate or do a regulatory practice - Fed Courts. Transactional - Tax.

I understand litigation, but why regulatory?

lbeezy

Postby lbeezy » Fri Dec 10, 2010 9:22 pm

I have Corps and Tax both this semester. I find Corps to be brutal, and Tax to be really enjoyable. But I'm taking Fed Courts next year. So I guess I think you should take them all?

I only took Corps (well, we have "business organizations -- partnerships, llc's and corps) because I needed it as a pre-req for a class they aren't even going to offer next year. Given the opportunity to do this semester over, I would definitely have dropped it. I don't think it's the most difficult thing ever, but my particular section was just so incredibly dense that it was miserable.

bostonian

Postby bostonian » Fri Dec 10, 2010 9:24 pm

I'm taking Corporations in the spring and agree with others that it's useful for almost everyone. I also voted for Tax because I have no interest in litigation.

Renzo

Postby Renzo » Fri Dec 10, 2010 9:26 pm

Fed courts is for stupid gunnerfaces who're going to COA clerkships. If that was you, you'd be studying in a locked basement instead of reading this thread.

BruceWayne

Postby BruceWayne » Fri Dec 10, 2010 9:30 pm

Renzo wrote:Fed courts is for stupid gunnerfaces who're going to COA clerkships. If that was you, you'd be studying in a locked basement instead of reading this thread.

Doesn't OP go to Harvard?

Renzo

Postby Renzo » Fri Dec 10, 2010 9:34 pm

BruceWayne wrote:
Renzo wrote:Fed courts is for stupid gunnerfaces who're going to COA clerkships. If that was you, you'd be studying in a locked basement instead of reading this thread.

I don't know. No matter what school he's at, the above is true.

BruceWayne

Postby BruceWayne » Fri Dec 10, 2010 9:43 pm

Renzo wrote:
BruceWayne wrote:

I don't know about that. They really do seem to have it that much better than the rest of the top schools (HYS). From what I've seen if they're top 1/3 they have a shot at a COA. If it's on the 5th circuit they might not even need that.

irishman86

Postby irishman86 » Fri Dec 10, 2010 10:36 pm

Corporations, definitely.
Tax is fun but you don't need it unless you want to be a tax attorney. (And then, you'd have to take Corporate, Individual, Partnership tax, which are WAY more difficult than Individual Income Tax.) Partnership is probably the hardest law school course.
Fed courts, supposedly only useful for those interested in clerking.

ToTransferOrNot

Postby ToTransferOrNot » Fri Dec 10, 2010 10:43 pm

Fed courts is the worst fucking class ever. Fuck fed courts. In the ear. With a rusty spork.

Also, voted corps and tax.

I never want to see the Constitution again after having taken Fed Courts.

irishman86

Postby irishman86 » Fri Dec 10, 2010 10:54 pm

ToTransferOrNot wrote:Fed courts is the worst fucking class ever. Fuck fed courts. In the ear. With a rusty spork.

I never wanted to see the Constitution again after taking Con Law.

iagolives

Postby iagolives » Sat Dec 11, 2010 1:20 am

irishman86 wrote:
ToTransferOrNot wrote:Fed courts is the worst fucking class ever. Fuck fed courts. In the ear. With a rusty spork.

I never wanted to see the Constitution again after taking Con Law.

After having suffered through Con Law this year, TITCR. I don't know how anyone remembers this stuff for finals. Or how they made all of this doctrine out of thin air (but that's a rant for another day/thread).

ggocat

Postby ggocat » Sat Dec 11, 2010 2:12 am

iagolives wrote:After having suffered through Con Law this year, TITCR. I don't know how anyone remembers this stuff for finals. Or how they made all of this doctrine out of thin air (but that's a rant for another day/thread).

Did you know that in about 2.5 years you will face conlaw on the MBE? :(

Renzo

Postby Renzo » Sat Dec 11, 2010 10:30 am

BruceWayne wrote:
Renzo wrote:
BruceWayne wrote:

I don't know about that. They really do seem to have it that much better than the rest of the top schools (HYS). From what I've seen if they're top 1/3 they have a shot at a COA. If it's on the 5th circuit they might not even need that.

Stop being daft. This isn't about how great Harvard is, it's about how terrible Fed Courts is.

iagolives

Postby iagolives » Sat Dec 11, 2010 1:12 pm

ggocat wrote:
iagolives wrote:After having suffered through Con Law this year, TITCR. I don't know how anyone remembers this stuff for finals. Or how they made all of this doctrine out of thin air (but that's a rant for another day/thread).

Did you know that in about 2.5 years you will face conlaw on the MBE? :(

Yeah, I just blocked it out.... until now. :(

iagolives

Postby iagolives » Sat Dec 11, 2010 3:26 pm

So, I've heard that fed courts is for clerks but I'm not sure exactly why that is. Does it mainly help you do the work IF you get the job or does it actually help you IN getting the job? I'm assuming people on this thread mean the latter but how does that work, esp. considering most people I know take fed courts 3L?

PS: G. T. L. Rev., I literally LOL once I figured out what your pic was. Good work. :)

ToTransferOrNot

Postby ToTransferOrNot » Sat Dec 11, 2010 3:38 pm

G. T. L. Rev. wrote:
ToTransferOrNot wrote:I never want to see the Constitution again after having taken Fed Courts.

OH You are going to LOVE clerking. Esp. the annoying 1983 cases with multiple Ds: qualified immunity, ex parte young, limits on types of relief, all that crap.

Also, I agree that OP should not take fed courts unless s/he is (1) trying to clerk or (2) seriously twisted.

Certain advantages to clerking for the guy assigning the cases;)

Fwiw, I didnt mind the doctrinal aspects. It was the 85% of the class filled with pure policy bs ("OMG is state sovereign immunity a good thing?!?!?! Let's talk about protective jurisdiction for 3 hours!!!! How about the diversity view?! Oh, oh, let's spend an hour on thibidoux abstention and how it interacts with the principle of constitutional avoidance!"

God, fuck fed jur.

BruceWayne

Postby BruceWayne » Sun Dec 12, 2010 2:01 am

G. T. L. Rev. wrote:
BruceWayne wrote:I don't know about that. They really do seem to have it that much better than the rest of the top schools (HYS). From what I've seen if they're top 1/3 they have a shot at a COA. If it's on the 5th circuit they might not even need that.

LOL at random HLS top 1/3 (or below) people getting 5th Cir. Simply not so. I'm not clerking on the 5th, but I know the hiring process right now is simply not running in a way that people can just waltz into the less desirable circuits and pick up a job, regardless of which school they're from.

Career services has our (UVA's) average GPA listed for 5th circuit clerks at a 3.55........I'm sure that connections and what not play a huge role but I don't think it's as bad as he was making it out to be for a HYS student.

iagolives

Postby iagolives » Sun Dec 12, 2010 10:28 am

So, I was looking at the topics tested on the Bar and apparently all three, including Fed Jur, are on there. So, it looks like, for better or worse, I'll be learning all three subjects anyway... heh.... *facepalm*

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”