Berkeley Class Rank Calculation

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
Lawl Shcool

Berkeley Class Rank Calculation

Postby Lawl Shcool » Thu Nov 25, 2010 3:01 pm

Given our grading system I imagine getting a precise class rank (other than applying for clerkships) is tough. So, is there a general cut-off/calculation?

Lawl Shcool

Re: Berkeley Class Rank Calculation

Postby Lawl Shcool » Thu Nov 25, 2010 7:26 pm

Ya they will give you an exact rank for clerkships and academia jobs but you cannot get access to it otherwise. I just want to know so I can figure out roughly where I stand after this semester, since I don't intend to apply for either of the aforementioned positions.

XxSpyKEx

Postby XxSpyKEx » Thu Nov 25, 2010 9:23 pm

JPU wrote:Ya they will give you an exact rank for clerkships and academia jobs but you cannot get access to it otherwise.

Will they give you your class rank letter to include in your application for these jobs? If yes, then maybe you could just apply to one clerkship after your grades are out to get that info?

Lawl Shcool

Postby Lawl Shcool » Sun Jan 16, 2011 3:13 pm

Ok now that grades are almost done trickling in I wanted to bump this to see if theres any more insight out there.

Given the goofy grading system this is a very indefinite ranking (which I guess is the goal of it?)

I remember something like, HH = 5, H = 3, and P = 2. The calculate with weighting for credit hour, but where is the cut off point for what ranking?

OR

Do you just count up total Hs and its something like: (all approximations) 8/semester = top 5%, 4/semester = median?

Basically, help a confused transfer please.

EDIT:

Info for outsiders:

each class curve is:
top 10% = HH
top 40% = H
bottom 60% = P

truevines

Postby truevines » Sun Jan 16, 2011 11:37 pm

Lawl Shcool wrote:Ok now that grades are almost done trickling in I wanted to bump this to see if theres any more insight out there.

Given the goofy grading system this is a very indefinite ranking (which I guess is the goal of it?)

I remember something like, HH = 5, H = 3, and P = 2. The calculate with weighting for credit hour, but where is the cut off point for what ranking?

OR

Do you just count up total Hs and its something like: (all approximations) 8/semester = top 5%, 4/semester = median?

Say, if you have: HH for 4 credits, H for 3 credits, and P's for 2 2-credit courses, your GPA is

(5*4 +3*3 + 2*2 +2*2) / (4+3+2+2) = 3.36

Rumor has it that GPA
> 3 = top 1/3
2.6 - 3 = middle 1/3
<2.6 = bottom 1/3.
In addition, order of the coif is usually > 3.9.

No one knows the actual cut-off.

Lawl Shcool

Postby Lawl Shcool » Mon Jan 17, 2011 5:12 pm

truevines wrote:
Lawl Shcool wrote:Ok now that grades are almost done trickling in I wanted to bump this to see if theres any more insight out there.

OR

Say, if you have: HH for 4 credits, H for 3 credits, and P's for 2 2-credit courses, your GPA is

(5*4 +3*3 + 2*2 +2*2) / (4+3+2+2) = 3.36

Rumor has it that GPA
> 3 = top 1/3
2.6 - 3 = middle 1/3
<2.6 = bottom 1/3.
In addition, order of the coif is usually > 3.9.

No one knows the actual cut-off.

Wow, this is awesome. Thanks for posting this. Can anyone confirm or add any extra insight into this methodology?

mrmangs

Postby mrmangs » Mon Jan 17, 2011 5:29 pm

Tagged.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”