Considering dropping out of law school Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
General Tso

Gold

Re: Considering dropping out of law school

Post by General Tso » Sat Nov 27, 2010 5:36 pm

what kind of blue collar? like construction or something?

ResolutePear

Platinum

Post by ResolutePear » Sat Nov 27, 2010 5:41 pm

General Tso wrote:what kind of blue collar? like construction or something?
For instance, if you were trying to break into the retail electronics market - you go work for Best Buy as a sales assoc. and work your way up into management and eventually into "the corporate side of things."

The advantage to that is: You've proven yourself consistently to get to a certain level and you have strong job security.

The disadvantage is: You potentially have some 22 year old shmuck be your boss after graduating from a prestigious MBA program.

The shmuck better watch himself though, if he fucks up - you'll be there to take his job ;)

Melkaba

New

Post by Melkaba » Sat Nov 27, 2010 8:54 pm

ResolutePear wrote: If you're not interested in hitting 6-figured:
Accounting.

Though, you have to realize that low paying jobs aren't the problem. It's trying to find a job.
Blerg. Accounting is the absolute last thing I want to do and I do have a strong desire to be a lawyer. With that said, I hope there is a shred of truth in the entire "you can do A LOT of things with a JD/Bar Pass!" crap that career services likes to say if the legal market doesn't un-implode itself in '13. Even though I sincerely doubt it is.

whymeohgodno

Gold

Post by whymeohgodno » Sat Nov 27, 2010 9:45 pm

Life isn't all about happiness you know.

Black-Blue

Bronze

Post by Black-Blue » Sat Nov 27, 2010 10:36 pm

OP, all I can say is that it takes a lot of balls to get through law school and incur all the debt and misery, but it takes even more balls to drop out and also be successful. So if you accomplish the later, it's no small feat, and I'd put you above the lemmings here (and people like me) who couldn't be successful, if at all, without law school.
scribblehead wrote:BTW OP there is no such thing as a "respectable" non Top 14.

Hell, my buddy is on doc review in DC right now and about 50 kids there are GULC grads clicking away for $30 an hour and no health insurance.

Only the truly delusional still think there's anything worthwhile in this absolute gutter of an industry.
$30/hour? That sounds pretty good to me, actually because that's equivalent to 60k per year. Too bad it takes T14 pedigree to get $30/hr.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

JazzOne

Gold

Post by JazzOne » Sat Nov 27, 2010 10:41 pm

whymeohgodno wrote:Life isn't all about happiness you know.
lol

Aqualibrium

Gold

Post by Aqualibrium » Sat Nov 27, 2010 10:48 pm

Black-Blue wrote:OP, all I can say is that it takes a lot of balls to get through law school and incur all the debt and misery, but it takes even more balls to drop out and also be successful. So if you accomplish the later, it's no small feat, and I'd put you above the lemmings here (and people like me) who couldn't be successful, if at all, without law school.

Hell, my buddy is on doc review in DC right now and about 50 kids there are GULC grads clicking away for $30 an hour and no health insurance.

Only the truly delusional still think there's anything worthwhile in this absolute gutter of an industry.
$30/hour? That sounds pretty good to me, actually because that's equivalent to 60k per year. Too bad it takes T14 pedigree to get $30/hr.

60k a year, in DC, after spending more than 100k to go to school and live in DC, is bullshit.

Acknowledging that isn't some sense of entitlement, it's basic economics.

ResolutePear

Platinum

Post by ResolutePear » Sat Nov 27, 2010 10:55 pm

I'm going to print this out and stick it up on my wall via banner.

BriaTharen

Silver

Post by BriaTharen » Sat Nov 27, 2010 11:00 pm

ResolutePear wrote:

I'm going to print this out and stick it up on my wall via banner.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Snooker

Bronze

Post by Snooker » Sun Nov 28, 2010 1:27 am

Black-Blue wrote:OP, all I can say is that it takes a lot of balls to get through law school and incur all the debt and misery, but it takes even more balls to drop out and also be successful. So if you accomplish the later, it's no small feat, and I'd put you above the lemmings here (and people like me) who couldn't be successful, if at all, without law school.

ATL/JD Underground type posts probably have more to do with the pessimistic and whiny nature of the profession than any misery you'll experience in it. Tons of professions have less satisfaction than lawyers do yet they do not have mega-blogs devoted to it.

Probably the most surprising thing I found about law school is the huge number of students reading law blogs every day while in class. They never seem to read real newspapers, like WSJ, NYTimes, etc. There could be a war in Korea right now and all they'd have heard about is the latest skadden bonuses.

ResolutePear

Platinum

Post by ResolutePear » Sun Nov 28, 2010 1:32 am

Snooker wrote:

ATL/JD Underground type posts probably have more to do with the pessimistic and whiny nature of the profession than any misery you'll experience in it. Tons of professions have less satisfaction than lawyers do yet they do not have mega-blogs devoted to it.

Probably the most surprising thing I found about law school is the huge number of students reading law blogs every day while in class. They never seem to read real newspapers, like WSJ, NYTimes, etc. There could be a war in Korea right now and all they'd have heard about is the latest skadden bonuses.
And I bet you're not aware of the newest graphene manufacturing processes until 3 months later reading WSJ, NYTimes, etc. instead of slashdot. Jeez, get your head out of your ass.

DoubleChecks

Gold

Post by DoubleChecks » Sun Nov 28, 2010 1:37 am

Snooker wrote: ATL/JD Underground type posts probably have more to do with the pessimistic and whiny nature of the profession than any misery you'll experience in it. Tons of professions have less satisfaction than lawyers do yet they do not have mega-blogs devoted to it.
hm, maybe...but at the same time, there are a lot of factors to consider. you have a profession that requires a graduate school degree that pretty much = $150kish debt + really bad job prospects for a lot of the people coming out of most law schools, esp. ITE + the image of lawyers that clashes w/ the reality many law grads end up facing...

tbh, i cant think of a lot of other jobs that have those factors, so while many other professions may yield less satisfaction in some regard, the mega-blog level of dissatisfaction may really only be a spawn of the above reasons

Stanford4Me

Platinum

Post by Stanford4Me » Sun Nov 28, 2010 1:46 am

screwsandboalts wrote:Dazed and Confuzed

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

ResolutePear

Platinum

Post by ResolutePear » Sun Nov 28, 2010 1:50 am

Stanford4Me wrote:
screwsandboalts wrote:Dazed and Confuzed
WIN.

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Sun Nov 28, 2010 1:53 am