1L Exam Prep and Motivation Thread Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
Helmholtz

Gold

Re: 1L Exam Prep and Motivation Thread

Post by Helmholtz » Sat Dec 18, 2010 6:27 pm

fuck law school

Baylan

Bronze

Post by Baylan » Sat Dec 18, 2010 6:28 pm

Helmholtz wrote:fuck law school
+eleventybillion

I'm at a loss of what to do anymore. I have no practice questions. I have no practice exams. I just have me, my case book, and my thoughts.

Stanford4Me

Platinum

Post by Stanford4Me » Sat Dec 18, 2010 6:29 pm

I'm not even trying to convince myself that I'm going to study today. I would get nothing productive done. I've been watching TV all day - real life murder mysteries FTW (right now they're telling the story of a woman who was murdered in a church . . . ooooh).

goosey

Gold

Post by goosey » Sat Dec 18, 2010 6:30 pm

Stanford4Me wrote:I'm not even trying to convince myself that I'm going to study today. I would get nothing productive done. I've been watching TV all day - real life murder mysteries FTW (right now they're telling the story of a woman who was murdered in a church . . . ooooh).
lol, I spent an hour watching "fatal beauty" on e! about the 15 most notorious women murderers/criminals

Helmholtz

Gold

Post by Helmholtz » Sat Dec 18, 2010 6:32 pm

Stanford4Me wrote:I'm not even trying to convince myself that I'm going to study today. I would get nothing productive done. I've been watching TV all day - real life murder mysteries FTW (right now they're telling the story of a woman who was murdered in a church . . . ooooh).
I watched Exit Through the Gift Shop and The Social Network while consuming alcohol and pizza and sitting in my underwear.

Trying to do something productive now. Failing miserably.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

clintonius

Silver

Post by clintonius » Sat Dec 18, 2010 6:40 pm

I read through an old exam and model answers, to get an idea of what I need to do on this civ pro test to dominate. Looks like I need to do a lot more than I'm capable of doing. Plus I keep coming back to goddamn TLS. Tomorrow, it will be better.

goodolgil

Silver

Post by goodolgil » Sat Dec 18, 2010 6:44 pm

I need to learn a semester's worth of property in four days. I am just trying to console myself with the fact that I'm pretty sure no one in my section knows anything either.

goosey

Gold

Post by goosey » Sat Dec 18, 2010 6:50 pm

goodolgil wrote:I need to learn a semester's worth of property in four days. I am just trying to console myself with the fact that I'm pretty sure no one in my section knows anything either.
is property a lot of material? Since I get some sort of sick pleasure out of stressing myself out, I found my way to the spring 2011 exam schedule and noticed I only have 3 days to prep for property

Holly Golightly

Gold

Post by Holly Golightly » Sat Dec 18, 2010 7:00 pm

Law school is great! Life is awesome!

You will understand this mania in a few short days.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

nygrrrl

Gold

Post by nygrrrl » Sat Dec 18, 2010 7:57 pm

Holly Golightly wrote:

:mrgreen:

Baylan

Bronze

Post by Baylan » Sat Dec 18, 2010 8:03 pm

Holly Golightly wrote:

Law school will be great, and life will be awesome, when all this %*(&ing bullshit is over.

beach_terror

Platinum

Post by beach_terror » Sat Dec 18, 2010 9:40 pm

ffs ORP can DIAF afaic

chicoalto0649

Silver

Post by chicoalto0649 » Sat Dec 18, 2010 9:54 pm

goosey wrote:
clintonius wrote:
Thirteen wrote:
Holly Golightly wrote:I do not envy people who aren't done yet. I think I broke my brain.
I feel like Humpty Dumpty.
I feel like jumping in front of a truck.

for reals. the fact that I am looking forward to wednesday so I can start this memo for a summer internship app is reallllly sad.

But wow this is an amazing opportunity---1L summer associate positions with law firms..paid between 800 and 3100 a week, depending on the firm you match up with. And some firms have offered 2L positions at the end of the summer. will freakin DIE if I get this. please let me get A's. pllleaaasseee
I'm applying too. You go to BK right?

It looks great on an app. Be aware 1) its HIGHLY competitive and 2) grades are just one of the things they consider. You might not even have your grades in by the 18th of Jan.

Even if you're one of the 5 finalists your school selects you're not guaranteed to get a job because you have a whole other round to go through with more interviews etc.

G/luck tho.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

goosey

Gold

Post by goosey » Sat Dec 18, 2010 10:36 pm

chicoalto0649 wrote:
goosey wrote:

It looks great on an app. Be aware 1) its HIGHLY competitive and 2) grades are just one of the things they consider. You might not even have your grades in by the 18th of Jan.

Even if you're one of the 5 finalists your school selects you're not guaranteed to get a job because you have a whole other round to go through with more interviews etc.

G/luck tho.
yeah I go to bk. and I imagine it would be super competitive. I'm riding on my writing skills and "diversity" even among the diverse hahaha.

are you serious??? we might not have grades until jan 18th?? do they release them one by one as they come in or all at once when all are submitted?

chicoalto0649

Silver

Post by chicoalto0649 » Sat Dec 18, 2010 10:50 pm

goosey wrote:
chicoalto0649 wrote:
goosey wrote:

G/luck tho.
yeah I go to bk. and I imagine it would be super competitive. I'm riding on my writing skills and "diversity" even among the diverse hahaha.

are you serious??? we might not have grades until jan 18th?? do they release them one by one as they come in or all at once when all are submitted?
were @ diff schools lol and that prob varies very much by teacher. crim and ks wont be back for atleast 3-4 weeks. Prop could come earlier.

Sogui

Silver

Post by Sogui » Sat Dec 18, 2010 11:47 pm

TCR, plz sticky

Sakura3210

Bronze

Post by Sakura3210 » Sun Dec 19, 2010 12:44 am

clintonius wrote:I read through an old exam and model answers, to get an idea of what I need to do on this civ pro test to dominate. Looks like I need to do a lot more than I'm capable of doing. Plus I keep coming back to goddamn TLS. Tomorrow, it will be better.
Hah, we're in the same boat. I need to pull together an attack guide, but did NOTHING today. I'm excusing it as temporary burn out from killer finals. :(

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

BaiAilian2013

Silver

Post by BaiAilian2013 » Sun Dec 19, 2010 1:08 am

Same. I made like four flashcards today and that's about it lol. Whatevz, I got like three full days to learn civ pro but a fleeting moment to watch Basketball Wives!

goosey

Gold

Post by goosey » Sun Dec 19, 2010 2:39 pm

torts exam on tuesday...its sunday, and I've hardly studied. someone please tell me I can still do well if I buckle down now.

beach_terror

Platinum

Post by beach_terror » Sun Dec 19, 2010 2:53 pm

goosey wrote:torts exam on tuesday...its sunday, and I've hardly studied. someone please tell me I can still do well if I buckle down now.
My torts exam is on Tuesday as well goosey. Torts isn't hard. Is it a standard torts issue spotter where A's only get 200/400 points? Can you type fast? You'll be fine.

goosey

Gold

Post by goosey » Sun Dec 19, 2010 3:02 pm

beach_terror wrote:
goosey wrote:torts exam on tuesday...its sunday, and I've hardly studied. someone please tell me I can still do well if I buckle down now.
My torts exam is on Tuesday as well goosey. Torts isn't hard. Is it a standard torts issue spotter where A's only get 200/400 points? Can you type fast? You'll be fine.
its anything but a standard issue spotter. Its about as typical of a law school exam as a 3 headed cow is of farm animals.

he doesnt grade on points, he grades on how it "feels"--if it feels like an A, its an A, even if you missed a bunch of issues. I think the main thing with him is to discuss the issues with depth of understanding and intelligence. I've looked at a bunch of his A answers--one of them started with "ok well um.." while another said "you know, I should really know this. I really should." And I think thats why it was so hard to get myself to study..bc I felt like I can talk about the subject, and thats all I need. Based on the same hypo, one exam received an A and never mentioned intentional torts [stuck with negligence] while the other A answer never mentioned negligence and stuck to intentional torts. One A answer mentioned about half the issues that another mentioned. I have a good idea of what he wants..I have looked at every exam going back to 1988, though i've only done a few of them....but I also know that every other person has been studying since friday. And I have not.

But I *need* to know the law..which I feel like I do, but when I take practice exams I need to refer to my outline. and the exam is closed book. not good.

theres always a drunk driver, a windy night, a car accident which leave the innocent ppl quadrplegic and the drunk driver scratch-free...theres always causation issues because a tree fell across the hwy or there was a raging storm and there no way to say for sure that the drunkenness was the cause. its always the same.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

beach_terror

Platinum

Post by beach_terror » Sun Dec 19, 2010 3:18 pm

Oof, sounds like how my crim teacher grades. It was tough to pull myself together to study for crim because I felt like no matter how well I knew it, it's just going to come down to her gut reaction.

as stars burn

Silver

Post by as stars burn » Sun Dec 19, 2010 5:17 pm

My Torts exam was sort of like yours as well Goosey. I ended up typing around 40,000 characters so I figure there's at least a B's worth of material in there somewhere. I was surprisingly calm when I was taking the test, and was able to spot a few smaller issues that I felt like some of the other students more than likely missed (which gave me a nice ego boost). The only thing I was worried about is that he seemed to have neglected intentional torts quite a bit as most of my answers consisted of negligence only. I mean, there were maybe two or three intentional Torts I was able to spot, but that was it. All in all, you'll be okay. If you know the material and truly understand it and have taken a few practice exams I feel like that's all you can do.

goosey

Gold

Post by goosey » Sun Dec 19, 2010 5:43 pm

as stars burn wrote:My Torts exam was sort of like yours as well Goosey. I ended up typing around 40,000 characters so I figure there's at least a B's worth of material in there somewhere. I was surprisingly calm when I was taking the test, and was able to spot a few smaller issues that I felt like some of the other students more than likely missed (which gave me a nice ego boost). The only thing I was worried about is that he seemed to have neglected intentional torts quite a bit as most of my answers consisted of negligence only. I mean, there were maybe two or three intentional Torts I was able to spot, but that was it. All in all, you'll be okay. If you know the material and truly understand it and have taken a few practice exams I feel like that's all you can do.
Yeah, I mean it is what it is. I just dnt want to go off on a long tangent abt something he doesn't care about and get a C.

Sogui

Silver

Post by Sogui » Sun Dec 19, 2010 5:49 pm

Our torts professor only started teaching torts last year.

It was "easy" last year.

This year's 9 short answer problems don't look hard either.

So we have 30 questions in about 3.5 hours, 29 of them are 2-4 sentence short answers. With 1 1-hour essay.

One one hand, only 9 practice short answers to practice on = not so worried about prep'ing.

On the other hand many of them are like "A kicked B in the chest during a boxing match", what would B's best argument against A be?

next question: What would B's best defense be to that argument?

next: How could A overcome B's defense against your claim?

The doubt about your answer multiplies each time. Is the best defense to argue for a "malice-based" standard of intent for battery? Or is it to argue that B had consented to a highly physical and dangerous sport, he profits off the violence, why should we shift harm?

Etc... some answers are clearer than others, but this "best argument" stuff is too arbitrary for me, some of the answers are just too close to call and there's nothing in the notes about which way we should go.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”