Dropbox - WTF is it?

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
ResolutePear

Dropbox - WTF is it?

Postby ResolutePear » Sat Oct 09, 2010 7:10 pm

What is Dropbox?

It’s a tool for synchronizing your data (documents, pictures, music, etc.) into one place that is accessible from anywhere you have internet access. It also allows for the recovery of previous versions of documents.

Why should I use this?

It helps keep all your data in one place no matter if you’re on your computer, your laptop, or your smart-phone. The last thing you want to do is go back home to print out a reports and game tickets when you have printers on campus or at work and as long as you save your files into your dropbox folder, it’s completely transparent.
Perhaps you overwrote that file you’ve been working on with something and saved over it. Now you’re fucked. Not if you’re using Dropbox! Dropbox lets you revert the file back to a previous save. No hassles. Same goes for pictures, music, just about anything.

Wait, wait, wait… How much is this?
You get 2GB for free. There are other plans you pay per year, but if saving documents… you’re never going to pass that. The 50GB plan is 10USD/month while the 100GB plan is 20USD/month. There are no “extra” features, just more place.

Soooo… how does this help me on TLS?
Well, since you people like to post pictures but don’t want them to be public for *too* long, Dropbox gives you a powerful feature: a public folder. Put a file in this folder and you’ll get a URL that links back to your picture. No need to keep your computer(s) on either – it’s uploaded automagically to the Dropbox server and when you no longer want the file shown, just delete the file on any computer/phone and it’ll delete it from the server, making the file no longer accessible.

HTH. I’ll post pics later.

tl;dr - If you ever fuck up with your files, this will probably save your ass.

Get Dropbox.

And as a matter of fair disclosure, if you use my link to create your account, then I get more space permanently added to my account for free. If you are indifferent to my self-serving, then by all means, continue.

Miniver

Re: Dropbox - WTF is it?

Postby Miniver » Sat Oct 09, 2010 7:22 pm

ResolutePear

Postby ResolutePear » Thu Jan 09, 2014 12:24 am

That time of the year. Public service announcement.

So on, and so forth.

brotherdarkness

Postby brotherdarkness » Thu Jan 09, 2014 12:42 am

Last edited by brotherdarkness on Sat Jun 28, 2014 10:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

guano

Postby guano » Thu Jan 09, 2014 12:54 am

brotherdarkness wrote:
ResolutePear wrote:That time of the year. Public service announcement.

So on, and so forth.

There are people who still don't have Dropbox?

I don't see the point.
Also, there are other websites/companies that do the exact same thing

zeth006

Postby zeth006 » Fri Jan 10, 2014 3:50 pm

Skydrive and Google Drive are your other options. Dropbox starts you off at 2gb while Skydrive gets ya 7gb out the door.

ResolutePear

Postby ResolutePear » Fri Jan 10, 2014 4:33 pm

brotherdarkness wrote:

So on, and so forth.

It's the easiest, most reliable solution that I've found thus far.

ResolutePear

Postby ResolutePear » Fri Jan 10, 2014 4:33 pm

guano wrote:
brotherdarkness wrote:

So on, and so forth.

I don't see the point.
Also, there are other websites/companies that do the exact same thing

Your point? This thread is about Dropbox..

ResolutePear

Postby ResolutePear » Fri Jan 10, 2014 4:38 pm

zeth006 wrote:Skydrive and Google Drive are your other options. Dropbox starts you off at 2gb while Skydrive gets ya 7gb out the door.

I guess.

I don't see myself gathering up more than 2GB (Though, I have over 30GB free due to referrals and many other promotions over the years) in word and pdf docs, so the solution works fine for me. They also have a great portable app that you can put on your USB key and tote your dropbox around with you. Everybody has their own take on it; but I always have people come to me with their life's grand works stuck on a hard drive that experienced a dropped head on the platter 2 days before it's due. This is one of the best ways to backup your work; hands down.

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Fri Jan 10, 2014 4:49 pm

I recently nested my local Dropbox folder inside my local SkyDrive folder. Now my shit is backed up in two different clouds, and I can access it via Dropbox on my laptop (it's faster overall) and SkyDrive on my tablet (Win RT 8.1 more seamlessly uses SkyDrive). Changes made in a file on either device show up momentarily everywhere else.

So think about which one works best for your devices and how/from where you want to be able to access your stuff.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”