Importance of Journals/Student Clubs Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
PunjabiLower

Bronze

Importance of Journals/Student Clubs

Post by PunjabiLower » Wed Sep 22, 2010 8:37 pm

Last edited by PunjabiLower on Sat Oct 02, 2010 8:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

vamedic03

Gold

Re: Importance of Journals/Student Clubs

Post by vamedic03 » Wed Sep 22, 2010 9:00 pm

1) Grades / Rank of School
2) Law Review

3) Secondary journal (1 journal) / Work Experience

4) Anything else

Join a club if you're interested in it; don't waste time on a club for the sake of your resume.

worldtraveler

Platinum

Post by worldtraveler » Wed Sep 22, 2010 11:59 pm

More doesn't mean better. If you do tons of stuff but aren't committed to any of it, you'd be better off doing less and showing more commitment. And no one cares about clubs. No one.

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Thu Sep 23, 2010 12:05 am

I think secondary journals sometimes matter, and I think it's important to show that you're trying to learn or get exposed to the law beyond the classroom. Plus, it can give you at least a brief talking point during interviews, depending on how the interview is going.

It doesn't matter nearly as much as grades or law review. It can matter that you have something, but it's not going to gain you that much if you try to kill yourself to do too much. Not only that, but you want to make sure you don't do so much that it distracts from your studies--since grades are ultimately the most important thing.

Lawl Shcool

Silver

Post by Lawl Shcool » Fri Sep 24, 2010 7:11 pm

As a transfer, my secondary journal has been a good way to talk about getting involved at school and acclimating in interviews. I'm sure it has helped. It is also a cool group of people.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”