Who to contact with personal problem Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
pleasepickme

Bronze

Who to contact with personal problem

Post by pleasepickme » Tue Sep 14, 2010 8:09 pm

I'm wondering if anyone knows whom I should contact at law school with a personal problem. My family has basically fallen apart at home, and there's a reasonable chance that I may need to leave from time to time to help out, not to mention it's affecting my ability to work and concentrate pretty severely. To whom, if anyone, is it appropriate to mention this?

mmmadeli

New

Re: Who to contact with personal problem

Post by mmmadeli » Tue Sep 14, 2010 8:11 pm

At orientation, our assistant dean for students said she was the person to contact at our school, but YMMV.

Edited to get her title right.

Maven

New

Post by Maven » Tue Sep 14, 2010 8:20 pm

Customarily, the Dean of Students has primary responsibilty for interacting with students on personal issues.

worldtraveler

Platinum

Post by worldtraveler » Tue Sep 14, 2010 8:21 pm

Dean of Students and most schools have a counselor on staff for the law school. Otherwise, check out if the university as a whole has a counselor service available, which may be useful.

pleasepickme

Bronze

Post by pleasepickme » Tue Sep 14, 2010 8:47 pm

Thank you! Yes, I am getting in to talk to a counselor, I just wasn't sure who, if anyone, in the school itself I should notify. There's a dean of student affairs, so I'll probably talk to her. Thank you!

Fast_Fingers

Silver

Post by Fast_Fingers » Tue Sep 14, 2010 10:15 pm

mmmadeli wrote:At orientation, our assistant dean for students said she was the person to contact at our school, but YMMV.

Edited to get her title right.
Funny...mine did too. I'm sure if you go to the Dean's office they'll find someone appropriate.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”