Property and Lawyering Freyermuth Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
jdubb990

Bronze

Property and Lawyering Freyermuth

Post by jdubb990 » Thu Jul 22, 2010 4:06 pm

My property class is going to be using the casebook Property and Lawyering by Freyermuth. Has anybody else used this textbook? What supplement did you find went best with it? I've looked through some of the threads I found on the 0L disclaimer regarding supplements. During my investigation I didn't find that anybody had this as their textbook and it seems with property there are certain supplements seem to correspond with certain textbooks.

I also wasn't assigned any supplement for Torts. It seems from what I've looked at that E&E's will be fine though. Am I right?

Gold

Re: Property and Lawyering Freyermuth

Post by 270910 » Thu Jul 22, 2010 4:10 pm

jdubb990 wrote:My property class is going to be using the casebook Property and Lawyering by Freyermuth. Has anybody else used this textbook? What supplement did you find went best with it? I've looked through some of the threads I found on the 0L disclaimer regarding supplements. During my investigation I didn't find that anybody had this as their textbook and it seems with property there are certain supplements seem to correspond with certain textbooks.

I also wasn't assigned any supplement for Torts. It seems from what I've looked at that E&E's will be fine though. Am I right?
Re: #1 stop lying. Nobody uses a casebook other than the Dukemenier casebook for property. It's the law.

Re: #2 yes, but Torts is like every other 1L class in that each professor teaches it differently. My prof covered only a tiny fraction of the E&E and focused on many things that were not in it, rendering it substantially less useful than other supplements. You can't really play this game to any significant degree of effectiveness until you're in the class and have been for weeks. Some classes you won't even want or need a supplement. And you certainly won't NEED one during your first few weeks. And even the universally recommended supplements can have exceptions - I found Chemerinsky not especially useful for my con law class (*SHOCK*).

jdubb990

Bronze

Post by jdubb990 » Thu Jul 22, 2010 4:17 pm

Actually I'm not lying. I just double checked to make sure I ordered the right book. The other professors are using Dukemenier. I've got the oddball though-we are using Property and Lawyering like I previously said.

Gold

Post by 270910 » Thu Jul 22, 2010 4:19 pm

jdubb990 wrote:Actually I was lying, sorry. I just double checked to make sure I ordered the right book, and it turns out we are using Dukemenier. Thanks for clearing that up!
Not a problem my man.

jdubb990

Bronze

Post by jdubb990 » Thu Jul 22, 2010 4:19 pm

disco_barred wrote:
jdubb990 wrote:Actually I was lying, sorry. I just double checked to make sure I ordered the right book, and it turns out we are using Dukemenier. Thanks for clearing that up!
Not a problem my man.
Way to be helpful. Ass.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Gold

Post by 270910 » Thu Jul 22, 2010 4:47 pm

I'm just kidding around dood. The Dukemenier casebook is so universal that it's passingly amusing to see it not being used. My comment / re-edit were for the lulz, not aggressive.

And my second comment is actually solid advice. 100% Grade-A Disco_Barred Trying to Help Instead of Being a Sarcastic Prick Advice.

jdubb990

Bronze

Post by jdubb990 » Thu Jul 22, 2010 5:09 pm

I would worry since he's using an off the wall book, but the guy was awarded order of the coif from his alma mater so he can't be a d.a..

Ok, so if I find myself needing a supplement for property, then there's not really a specific place I should turn then? Any property supplement will work?

Gold

Post by 270910 » Thu Jul 22, 2010 5:15 pm

jdubb990 wrote:I would worry since he's using an off the wall book, but the guy was awarded order of the coif from his alma mater so he can't be a d.a..

Ok, so if I find myself needing a supplement for property, then there's not really a specific place I should turn then? Any property supplement will work?
I would wait until about 4 weeks into the semester. Look at what you've done so far, look at the syllabus of what is to come. Pause, breathe deeply, and meditate on the nature of your property class. To that point you don't really have any way to know what you AREN'T focusing on, only what you ARE focusing on.

Then, go to your library or book store and flip through some supplements. Most law students find that some supplements just have an "ah-ha!" click. It will match the way your course is laid out, it will be clear, it will address things in a similar order and depth, etc. Some supplements are so good and comprehensive they are often universally recommended (E&E for civ pro, Chemerinsky for con law), others match casebooks very well (gilberts -> Dukeminier). But the combination of syllabus + prof + case book + a few weeks of class will help you evaluate this decision or yourself so much better than we on the internet can speaking in generalities.

Warhawk

New

Post by Warhawk » Thu Jul 22, 2010 10:09 pm

disco_barred wrote:I'm just kidding around dood. The Dukemenier casebook is so universal that it's passingly amusing to see it not being used. My comment / re-edit were for the lulz, not aggressive.

And my second comment is actually solid advice. 100% Grade-A Disco_Barred Trying to Help Instead of Being a Sarcastic Prick Advice.
Yeah, I'm going to have to step in here and put in a word for Singer...

mikeytwoshoes

Silver

Post by mikeytwoshoes » Fri Jul 23, 2010 4:35 pm

jdubb990 wrote:
disco_barred wrote:
Not a problem my man.
Way to be helpful. Ass.
Legal writing won't be fun for you. "Ass" is not a sentence.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”