Aspen E&Es

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
Creed Fan

Aspen E&Es

Postby Creed Fan » Wed May 05, 2010 4:14 pm

How much of a difference is there between the new editions of the Aspen E&Es and the older editions?

Jarndyce

Re: Aspen E&Es

Postby Jarndyce » Wed May 05, 2010 4:22 pm

Enough of one to shell the extra bucks out. Some things don't change very much- however, the best of the first-year E&Es is universally considered to be Glannon's Civil Procedure book. Unfortunately, in 2007 and 2009, the United States Supreme Court completely destroyed decades of precedent regarding civil pleading standards, via Bell Atlantic v. Twombley and Ashcroft v. Iqbal. The old edition would not even mention this- and it is a significant enough difference that you would want a book to be right and have the updated standard. But I wouldn't necessarily do what I did and buy every E&E before law school because some are pretty bad.

Here are the supplements I used:

CivPro: E&E
Contracts: E&E
Criminal: Understanding
Torts: E&E
Property: Understanding
ConLaw: Q&A

Take that for what its worth, but I feel like those have done me pretty well. The E&E for Criminal is not good, and, while the Property E&E is okay, I like the way that the Understanding book explains thing better.

Creed Fan

Postby Creed Fan » Wed May 05, 2010 4:30 pm

Thanks for the response. I wasn't aware of the civ pro changes.

Much obliged.

General Tso

Postby General Tso » Wed May 05, 2010 4:32 pm

fyi -- the property e&e is atrocious

the civpro E&E will be the best supplement you buy 1L year

Esc

Postby Esc » Sat May 22, 2010 12:36 pm

+1 on civpro and torts E&Es and crim law Understanding, they are always good no matter how your professor teaches the subject.

Property E&E is ok, but I don't think there are any real great supplements for that class. Contracts E&E was pretty bad IMO - I think contracts can be taught a couple different ways and really depends on the focus your professor has. The E&E was awful for me because it had a lot of the old common law rules that some states still follow, and my professor was solely about the UCC and Restatement - but maybe it would have been better if he had been an old school common law guy.

For Con Law, Chemerinsky's big ass hornbook is the best supplement, but Con Law can be taught so many ways that it completely depends on the professor's teaching style.....and political leanings. My prof was a very fair-minded guy who did a socratic/lecture hybrid that gave a really fair overview of the law, and he told us not to use supplements and only to know what he went over in class. Other professors ramble incoherently and the only way to survive their exams is to memorize Chemerinsky and tailor your answer to what they believe the constitution is about.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”