Putting the Gunner to Bed Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )

Gold

Re: Putting the Gunner to Bed

Post by 270910 » Sun May 02, 2010 1:22 pm

--ImageRemoved--

mikeytwoshoes

Silver

Post by mikeytwoshoes » Sun May 02, 2010 1:34 pm

imchuckbass58 wrote:Why do people keep using the word disenfranchise? Are people really depriving gunners of the right to vote or any of their other legal rights?

Use normal words that actually mean what you think they do like "ridicule" or "dislike."
--ImageRemoved--

imchuckbass58

Silver

Post by imchuckbass58 » Sun May 02, 2010 1:57 pm

Haha well played.

prezidentv8

Gold

Post by prezidentv8 » Sun May 02, 2010 2:11 pm

--ImageRemoved--

JordynAsh

Bronze

Post by JordynAsh » Sun May 02, 2010 2:17 pm

I like where this thread is going. Bored at work, keep the meme-mocking up plz kthx.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

bigben

Silver

Post by bigben » Sun May 02, 2010 2:21 pm

Best thread ever.

Gold

Post by 270910 » Sun May 02, 2010 2:26 pm

--ImageRemoved--

BobSacamano

Bronze

Post by BobSacamano » Sun May 02, 2010 2:40 pm

Is OP in law school yet? Because there was a time when I was really interested in "the law" too, especially constitutional law. Then I went to law school, and more specifically, I took con law.

With some exceptions, the law is boring. Really, really, really boring. There are exceptions, but the exceptions are certainly not the rule.

Drake014

Silver

Post by Drake014 » Sun May 02, 2010 2:42 pm

BobSacamano wrote:Is OP in law school yet? Because there was a time when I was really interested in "the law" too, especially constitutional law. Then I went to law school, and more specifically, I took con law.

With some exceptions, the law is boring. Really, really, really boring. There are exceptions, but the exceptions are certainly not the rule.
Get a better Con Law instructor. At my school, there were 4 to choose from. Whoever didn't get mine, is bored, hates it, or is indifferent. Everyone who has mine loves her and the subject.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

mikeytwoshoes

Silver

Post by mikeytwoshoes » Sun May 02, 2010 2:44 pm

BobSacamano wrote:Is OP in law school yet? Because there was a time when I was really interested in "the law" too, especially constitutional law. Then I went to law school, and more specifically, I took con law.

Kozinski and only Kozinski

BobSacamano

Bronze

Post by BobSacamano » Sun May 02, 2010 2:51 pm

Drake014 wrote: Get a better Con Law instructor. At my school, there were 4 to choose from. Whoever didn't get mine, is bored, hates it, or is indifferent. Everyone who has mine loves her and the subject.
I didn't have a choice, sadly. I'm not sure if I would have chose differently if I did, though. My professor was pretty brilliant, the class was Socratic to the max, and as a result it was was hard as hell. I'm pretty I got a lot out of it, though, and I did so because of his teaching style.

But that doesn't mean that re-reading cases three times so as to not be totally lost/look like an ass in class was a good time.

annapavlova

Bronze

Post by annapavlova » Sun May 02, 2010 2:52 pm

No way. I find the law very, very interesting. I looove it actually. But I 1) do not read for class, and read canned case briefs and supps while I outline, and 2) rarely participate and 3) perform at 10% level.

OP - you don't have to be that kind of gunner to do well in law school. You don't have to be a gunner at all to do well in law school. You do not have to raise your hand and say "Let me see if I understand this..." and then repeat back to the professor what he said to show that you understand the abstract legal concept the class just learned. You do not have to throw anyone under the bus to do well. You do not have to have your entire section hate you so much, that when the class is occasionally forced to discuss or work in groups, you have to work alone.

THAT is what gunner is - not someone who is just smart and works hard, but someone who everyone despises because they are so obnoxiously rude. If you like to read E&Es I would encourage you to do so because it makes learning the law easier than reading your retardedly obfuscated casebook. The point is = don't be an asswipe, and you won't be a gunner.

TTT-LS

Silver

Post by TTT-LS » Sun May 02, 2010 2:56 pm

Last edited by TTT-LS on Sun Jul 11, 2010 5:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Fark-o-vision

Silver

Post by Fark-o-vision » Sun May 02, 2010 3:00 pm

I'm pretty excited about the posters. I want most of the collection. Except Hercules. Who ever did Hercules is disappointing to me.

So the only thing that makes a gunner a gunner is raising your hand in class and asking stupid questions? I'm basically arguing against the attitude that you can only be cool if you make it seem like law school is effortless, or that the study of law is only a means to an end. Most specifically "doing well" in law school. It might just be that I was a worthless humanities major, but I'm used to the people in my classes being more interested in the subject matter than the grade.

prezidentv8

Gold

Post by prezidentv8 » Sun May 02, 2010 3:00 pm

--ImageRemoved--

--ImageRemoved--

prezidentv8

Gold

Post by prezidentv8 » Sun May 02, 2010 3:02 pm

--ImageRemoved--

Gold

Post by 270910 » Sun May 02, 2010 3:09 pm

--ImageRemoved--

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

annapavlova

Bronze

Post by annapavlova » Sun May 02, 2010 3:15 pm

prezidentv8 wrote:--ImageRemoved--

--ImageRemoved--
That. Is. FUCKING. AWESOME.

A'nold

Gold

Post by A'nold » Sun May 02, 2010 3:18 pm

As I woke up this morning and re-read the op, I was going to post "in before the awesome memes" but when I saw it had gone to 2 pages I knew I was too late.

Op = jumpjump alt? Yes.

Fark-o-vision

Silver

Post by Fark-o-vision » Sun May 02, 2010 4:54 pm

I don't know what jumpjump alt is, but I was really disappointed to log back on and find the Hercules blast hadn't been made into a poster. Step your game up!

A'nold

Gold

Post by A'nold » Sun May 02, 2010 5:07 pm

Fark-o-vision wrote:I don't know what jumpjump alt is, but I was really disappointed to log back on and find the Hercules blast hadn't been made into a poster. Step your game up!
You are the only poster that has even come close to a jumpjump-esque op, therefore, you are jump jump.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Fark-o-vision

Silver

Post by Fark-o-vision » Sun May 02, 2010 5:28 pm

Um, thank you?

JordynAsh

Bronze

Post by JordynAsh » Sun May 02, 2010 5:30 pm

Fark-o-vision wrote:Um, thank you?
This is not a good thing besides the fact you inspire meme mockery.

prezidentv8

Gold

Post by prezidentv8 » Sun May 02, 2010 5:33 pm

JordynAsh wrote:
Fark-o-vision wrote:Um, thank you?
This is not a good thing besides the fact you inspire meme mockery.
Which is like saying "This is not a good thing besides the fact that IT'S TOTALLY FRICKIN AWESOME!"

Fark-o-vision

Silver

Post by Fark-o-vision » Sun May 02, 2010 5:34 pm

I don't understand how you can assume I've intended otherwise. Re: final line of OP. I think the point is valid, but getting on a high horse on the internet is literally asking to be entertained by the responses. I can say I never expected the posters (never saw them before), but I'm glad I've provided to the community in this way.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”