to judge: handwritten thank you note or typed?

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
PhillyLawGirl

New

to judge: handwritten thank you note or typed?

Postby PhillyLawGirl » Thu Jan 21, 2010 11:07 pm

Stupid question:

I interviewed for a federal judicial internship yesterday and received an offer on the spot. I accepted.
I'd like to send the Judge a thank you note, but I can't decide if a handwritten card would be appropriate or not. (I have always thought that handwritten notes are more personal/thoughtful than emails.) I have really nice stationary from papyrus, but it's a bit decorative....would a plain old typed letter be a better idea??

napolnic

Bronze

Re: to judge: handwritten thank you note or typed?

Postby napolnic » Thu Jan 21, 2010 11:27 pm

Generally this kind of thank you note is for the time between interview and offer, so I kinda echo the sentiments that this might not be necessary.

That said, if you feel you want to write one, really can't hurt. I would say it doesn't matter either way. A handwritten note might be a novelty, but especially since you already have the job (though my advice would be the same either way), a typewritten note is not a negative.

aad

New

Postby aad » Thu Jan 21, 2010 11:35 pm

Can't hurt to write a note. I don't think it matters whether it's hand written or typed. Maybe if he's an older individual the hand-written note will remind him of days gone by.

coolio

New

Postby coolio » Fri Jan 22, 2010 2:19 pm

also, maybe it doesn't have to be a "thank you note"...just a note of appreciation and friendliness. i have it on good authority that judges like things that are handwritten just by virtue of being handwritten.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students�