Yes, Another One: Best Supplement for Crim Law

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
ben1185

Yes, Another One: Best Supplement for Crim Law

Postby ben1185 » Sat Jan 09, 2010 3:44 am

Hey, I searched for a similar thread and couldn't find one. Sorry if I missed it...

I have the Kadish case book. Thoughts on supplements? Is Dressler the way to go or are there better options with this book. Thanks.

mallard

Re: Yes, Another One: Best Supplement for Crim Law

Postby mallard » Sat Jan 09, 2010 3:46 am

Dressler.

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Sat Jan 09, 2010 3:47 am

I think part of this depends on the school, the professor, and the textbook. For instance, many sections at my school use a textbook written by several of our profs, and one of them wrote a commercial outline that ended up being the best companion for the book.

It might help if you at least said what textbook you're required to use.

ben1185

Postby ben1185 » Sat Jan 09, 2010 3:54 am

vanwinkle wrote:I think part of this depends on the school, the professor, and the textbook. For instance, many sections at my school use a textbook written by several of our profs, and one of them wrote a commercial outline that ended up being the best companion for the book.

I did list the casebook.

Cornell
Prof. = Underkuffler (hasn't written anything I could find in a quick search).

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Sat Jan 09, 2010 3:56 am

ben1185 wrote:
vanwinkle wrote:I think part of this depends on the school, the professor, and the textbook. For instance, many sections at my school use a textbook written by several of our profs, and one of them wrote a commercial outline that ended up being the best companion for the book.

I did list the casebook.

Cornell

Blah, massive RC fail on my part. Good indicator it's time to go to sleep.

ak362

Postby ak362 » Sat Jan 09, 2010 4:21 am

To confirm what others have said, I heard the Dressler Understanding book is good - we're using the Dressler casebook, so I decided to cash out a semester's worth of Lexis points for the book. Sigh. Oh well, at least it was "free."

kimber1028

Postby kimber1028 » Sat Jan 09, 2010 4:38 am

Dressler is great. I used his Sum and Substance in conjunction with the Understanding book, and it was really helpful.

Aqualibrium

Postby Aqualibrium » Sat Jan 09, 2010 5:47 am

Dressler is probably the consensus pick here. Crim law seems to be a subject that is taught and interpreted in a countless number of ways though. Some people teach state law, some teach mpc only, some teach common law only, some teach both, some teach largely theory, etc... I don't think there is a substitute for actually going to every class, taking good notes, making your own outline, and understanding exactly what it is your professor wants.

I bought the emmanuels just for kicks during finals...there were soooo many things that the book said was right which my professor said was absolutely wrong.

mbw

Postby mbw » Sat Jan 09, 2010 8:49 am

ben1185 wrote:

I did list the casebook.

Cornell

Actually, OP, we have Ohlin for Crim. Underkuffler is Property.

Looking at our prof's CV, he is really into international criminal code development. I have a friend at a different T14 whose prof used our textbook (Kadish) for Crim, and said her prof was really into the Model Penal Code, so I wonder if ours is as well. If so, what would people recommend as good supplements?

samiseaborn

Postby samiseaborn » Sat Jan 09, 2010 10:10 am

hombredulce wrote:Dressler is probably the consensus pick here. Crim law seems to be a subject that is taught and interpreted in a countless number of ways though. Some people teach state law, some teach mpc only, some teach common law only, some teach both, some teach largely theory, etc...

This x1000. As someone who bought 4 different supplements for that class last semester, just wait until and see how your prof describes the type of crim law he wants to teach. Then start thinking about supplements. Or think about how none fit his style, which turned out to be the case in my situation.

pasteurizedmilk

Postby pasteurizedmilk » Sat Jan 09, 2010 11:16 am

Is there a "Sum and Substance" equivalent for Crim Pro? Strangely, my school has Crim Pro instead of Crim J for 1Ls.

ben1185

Postby ben1185 » Sat Jan 09, 2010 12:37 pm

mbw wrote:
ben1185 wrote:

I did list the casebook.

Cornell

Actually, OP, we have Ohlin for Crim. Underkuffler is Property.

Looking at our prof's CV, he is really into international criminal code development. I have a friend at a different T14 whose prof used our textbook (Kadish) for Crim, and said her prof was really into the Model Penal Code, so I wonder if ours is as well. If so, what would people recommend as good supplements?

Haha mbw.... beat me to it... That's what I get for trusting my memory after 3 weeks of nothingness.

ben1185

Postby ben1185 » Sat Jan 09, 2010 1:31 pm

vanwinkle wrote:
ben1185 wrote:

I did list the casebook.

Cornell

Blah, massive RC fail on my part. Good indicator it's time to go to sleep.

No worries... We've all done it. :mrgreen:

Anonymous Loser

Postby Anonymous Loser » Sat Jan 09, 2010 1:37 pm

ben1185 wrote:Hey, I searched for a similar thread and couldn't find one. Sorry if I missed it...

There is a 9 page thread on supplements pinned at the top of the Law Students forum.

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=26949

ben1185

Postby ben1185 » Sat Jan 09, 2010 1:42 pm

Anonymous Loser wrote:
ben1185 wrote:Hey, I searched for a similar thread and couldn't find one. Sorry if I missed it...

There is a 9 page thread on supplements pinned at the top of the Law Students forum.

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=26949

Yeah, I saw that one, but I was looking for more detailed advice on my particular casebook. Thanks though!

pasteurizedmilk

Postby pasteurizedmilk » Sat Jan 09, 2010 2:23 pm

pasteurizedmilk wrote:Is there a "Sum and Substance" equivalent for Crim Pro? Strangely, my school has Crim Pro instead of Crim J for 1Ls.

nvm.....

RVP11

Postby RVP11 » Sat Jan 09, 2010 2:40 pm

The Dressler is not just the best criminal law supplement, but probably the best supplement for any 1L class.

vamedic03

Postby vamedic03 » Sat Jan 09, 2010 2:57 pm

JSUVA2012 wrote:The Dressler is not just the best criminal law supplement, but probably the best supplement for any 1L class.

TITCR . . . loved Dressler and I strongly disliked the Low supplement despite using the casebook . . .

stingaries

Postby stingaries » Sat Jan 09, 2010 3:59 pm

My 1L Crim law course was heavy on the MPC. The Dubber book helped me immensely with it.

http://www.amazon.com/Criminal-Law-Mode ... 016&sr=8-2

Obviously if your course doesn't focus as heavily on the MPC it isn't worth as much. You should definitely wait and see your syllabus. But if you will be dealing a lot with the MPC this book is incredibly helpful, clear and concise. I can't sing its praises enough.

kimber1028

Postby kimber1028 » Sat Jan 09, 2010 5:31 pm

pasteurizedmilk wrote:Is there a "Sum and Substance" equivalent for Crim Pro? Strangely, my school has Crim Pro instead of Crim J for 1Ls.

I can't link because I'm on my phone, but a sum and substance crim pro search on amazon comes up with another Dressler CD set. I absolutely loved S&S last semester, and recommend that series highly.

Danteshek

Postby Danteshek » Sun Jan 10, 2010 12:38 am

The best is Learning Criminal Law Through Advocacy Argument, by John Delaney
This book should be used in addition to Dressler.

I got an A in Crim thanks to this book.

KMaine

Postby KMaine » Sun Jan 10, 2010 2:17 pm

Is the Dressler called "Understanding Criminal Law?"

mbw

Postby mbw » Sun Jan 10, 2010 2:52 pm

KMaine wrote:Is the Dressler called "Understanding Criminal Law?"

Yes. I have a copy I got from NALSA, and don't mind sharing.

lishi

Postby lishi » Sun Jan 10, 2010 2:57 pm

If you want to find supplements specific to your casebook you can go to lawbooksforless.com

Find your book on the site, and underneath the book it will show all supplements or casebriefs for the book. OR you can just post this question in the common 0L questions post and it will not be locked.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”