Fordham Law 1L - Below 50% - Drop out? Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
solidsnake

Silver

Re: Fordham Law 1L - Below 50% - Drop out?

Post by solidsnake » Fri Jan 08, 2010 5:22 pm

Did you think "Precious" was a testament to the triumph of the human spirit?

OperaSoprano

Gold

Post by OperaSoprano » Fri Jan 08, 2010 5:27 pm

solidsnake wrote:Did you think "Precious" was a testament to the triumph of the human spirit?
Didn't see it. Should I?

solidsnake

Silver

Post by solidsnake » Fri Jan 08, 2010 5:45 pm

From what I know of you: Yes. A resounding yes.

FTR, I thought it was awful, but, admittedly, the actress who played the mother should win the academy award for Best Supporting.

OperaSoprano

Gold

Post by OperaSoprano » Fri Jan 08, 2010 6:39 pm

solidsnake wrote:From what I know of you: Yes. A resounding yes.

FTR, I thought it was awful, but, admittedly, the actress who played the mother should win the academy award for Best Supporting.
I'll take that as a ringing endorsement, then, lol.

This waiting is making us all batshit insane.

thesealocust

Platinum

Post by thesealocust » Fri Jan 08, 2010 6:42 pm

n/m
Last edited by thesealocust on Sat Dec 25, 2010 12:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

OperaSoprano

Gold

Post by OperaSoprano » Fri Jan 08, 2010 6:50 pm

thesealocust wrote:
OperaSoprano wrote:This waiting is making us all batshit insane.
Do you hear the voices too :D?
Yes. My voice said: you need a drink, stat. Yours?

Miracle

Silver

Post by Miracle » Fri Jan 08, 2010 7:17 pm

1Lpanic wrote:
OperaSoprano wrote:
1Lpanic wrote:Thanks everyone for the advice. I really hope my remaining two grades are higher than a B, but I'm not confident. I will keep you guys posted.

And no, I'm not a troll. I just preferred not to use my other TLS username which has more identifying information since I know my classmates use this site :/
I know you aren't a troll. I won't speculate about who you are because I don't want to know anyone else's grades, but please believe me that you will be fine. Congrats on your courage for looking. My hands are still shaking. You are going to be fine. One B is not bad. At least you looked, which is more than I can bring myself to do.

False alarm for me. None of my grades are up. If your other two grades were at least B+s, you will still be above median. I just calculated it out. You could also get two Bs and an A- and be above median. Take comfort that we have no grade inflation. Top 10% is only just above a 3.5.
I'm just desperately worried because I highly doubt I got both a B+ in Crim and Contracts or an A- in either. It really is likely I will be at median or below.

The thought of the 200k in loans is frightening if I am only looking at a career making 60k a year.
Thats's not bad at all! All you have to do is live your life the way you're living now after the graduation, work for 5 years and its paid off! Doesn't sound bad to me. Not to mention, you'll have one of the most prestigious jobs in NYC (assuming you would be an ADA in NYC)

Besides, you will receive a lot more B's as you move on with your education. Your B is not that big of a deal! :D

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Fri Jan 08, 2010 7:22 pm

betasteve wrote:
thesealocust wrote:
OperaSoprano wrote:This waiting is making us all batshit insane.
Do you hear the voices too :D?
I'll +1 the batshit insane part. Didn't really hit me until we had our first class today and he vaguely talked about the exam (not in a review sense, but still talked about little pieces of it). That pretty much triggered it for me.
This post makes me especially glad that we don't go back to class until the 25th. I couldn't imagine being in class without at least some idea of how I did before.

metsfan2486

New

Post by metsfan2486 » Fri Jan 08, 2010 7:26 pm

Does anyone know when grades MUST be turned in by professors for fordham?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

SteelReserve

Bronze

Post by SteelReserve » Fri Jan 08, 2010 7:37 pm

This post is premature because you don't know your other grades; maybe you bomb one of them and you'll know for sure you should drop out. Maybe you ACE both and decide to stay.

The hard part will be if you get Bs or B-. You may be tempted to stay but if I was in your shoes I'd drop out. I say that because I know I am strong enough to acknowledge "hey, I made my best effort, took the law school gamble and it didn't pan out--I'm going to cut my losses and deal with my parents and friends questioning why I dropped out...it's my life and I don't want to spend it paying back soul-crushing debt in a job I might not even enjoy"

Please let us know what you decide to do after you get your grades back. Best of luck.

1Lpanic

New

Post by 1Lpanic » Fri Jan 08, 2010 7:43 pm

Thanks. I'm just worried that if my other two grades are a B and a B- (less than a 3.0) that in dropping out I'll have 70k in debt by the end of spring semester. I'll need a strong Plan B to figure out a way to pay off that debt.

1Lpanic

New

Post by 1Lpanic » Fri Jan 08, 2010 7:46 pm

metsfan2486 wrote:Does anyone know when grades MUST be turned in by professors for fordham?
I don't know if there is one. I heard my contract professor doesn't get his in until Feb.

Kohinoor

Gold

Post by Kohinoor » Fri Jan 08, 2010 7:52 pm

Miracle wrote:
1Lpanic wrote:
OperaSoprano wrote:
1Lpanic wrote:Thanks everyone for the advice. I really hope my remaining two grades are higher than a B, but I'm not confident. I will keep you guys posted.

And no, I'm not a troll. I just preferred not to use my other TLS username which has more identifying information since I know my classmates use this site :/
I know you aren't a troll. I won't speculate about who you are because I don't want to know anyone else's grades, but please believe me that you will be fine. Congrats on your courage for looking. My hands are still shaking. You are going to be fine. One B is not bad. At least you looked, which is more than I can bring myself to do.

False alarm for me. None of my grades are up. If your other two grades were at least B+s, you will still be above median. I just calculated it out. You could also get two Bs and an A- and be above median. Take comfort that we have no grade inflation. Top 10% is only just above a 3.5.
I'm just desperately worried because I highly doubt I got both a B+ in Crim and Contracts or an A- in either. It really is likely I will be at median or below.

The thought of the 200k in loans is frightening if I am only looking at a career making 60k a year.
Thats's not bad at all! All you have to do is live your life the way you're living now after the graduation, work for 5 years and its paid off! Doesn't sound bad to me. Not to mention, you'll have one of the most prestigious jobs in NYC (assuming you would be an ADA in NYC)

Besides, you will receive a lot more B's as you move on with your education. Your B is not that big of a deal! :D
His cost of living is currently negative?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

1Lpanic

New

Post by 1Lpanic » Fri Jan 08, 2010 8:01 pm

If I'm at or below median I probably wouldn't be able to get an ADA job. Something like a thousand graduates apply for each of these jobs in NYC.
Last edited by 1Lpanic on Fri Jan 08, 2010 8:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

addicted

New

Post by addicted » Fri Jan 08, 2010 8:01 pm

1Lpanic wrote:
metsfan2486 wrote:Does anyone know when grades MUST be turned in by professors for fordham?
I don't know if there is one. I heard my contract professor doesn't get his in until Feb.
who is your contacts prof?

Bankhead

Silver

Post by Bankhead » Fri Jan 08, 2010 8:19 pm

I'm sure it's either Calamari or Perillo. Those guys are K's gods and can turn in grades whenever they want.

1Lpanic

New

Post by 1Lpanic » Fri Jan 08, 2010 8:28 pm

addicted wrote:
1Lpanic wrote:
who is your contacts prof?
I don't really want to say because I want to retain some anonymity.

I'm getting closer to being about 70% sure I'm dropping out. Planning to take out 210k in debt was a terrible idea in this economy. I feel like I completely screwed myself.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Space_Cowboy

Bronze

Post by Space_Cowboy » Fri Jan 08, 2010 9:11 pm

1Lpanic wrote:I'm getting closer to being about 70% sure I'm dropping out. Planning to take out 210k in debt was a terrible idea in this economy. I feel like I completely screwed myself.
There's also the option transferring down to a school that doesn't cost three arms and a leg.

1Lpanic

New

Post by 1Lpanic » Fri Jan 08, 2010 9:30 pm

The job opportunities at a lower school would probably be much worse though, so I don't know if that's the best option.

Drop out and try to go into a grad program with better job prospects in something less bleak job-wise than law?

Bankhead

Silver

Post by Bankhead » Fri Jan 08, 2010 9:35 pm

1Lpanic wrote:The job opportunities at a lower school would probably be much worse though, so I don't know if that's the best option.

Drop out and try to go into a grad program with better job prospects in something less bleak job-wise than law?
What is less bleak that you could feasibly get into right now? Dammit we're all fucked.

Silver

Post by 2807 » Fri Jan 08, 2010 9:48 pm

Whoa.. Hold on.

I know nothing about law school and job prospects, but I know a lot about life.

Dont quit. Ever. At least, not for the reasons you are citing.

I am older than you and have lost a career, had tons of debt, no debt, tons of money, no money.... married, divorced... injured, healthy..... it goes on and on....

You will experience all of these things in life. Dont add to that list "I quit law school because I got B's" Good Grief...

You have already gone so far in college, the LSAT, the applications, the commitiment, and now the actual first semester of classes... You are so close! STAY. FIGHT BACK.

You can't fix normal.

It is normal to doubt, panic, be depressed and all of that.... You forget--> these feelings are now offsetting all of those manic feelings you had before about making it big in law. All of them serve a purpose, and in the end you find BALANCE.

Screw the debt issue. Get the education AT ALL COSTS. You will always have debt....deal with it.

Make sure you are not using debt as an excuse for your fear. Is debt, without the potential of a law degree, better? NO.

Just relax. Study better, or study the same and get B's, and move on in life. Somehow I just know you will find a job, a spouse, a home, and all of this will seem very silly. You just lack the perspective right now.

FIGHT BACK and you will learn a lot more than goofy legal theory as you graduate law school and thrive thrive thrive.

It is the fight that will define you. Not the grade.

Trust me.

I come to you from the future.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

gollymolly

Bronze

Post by gollymolly » Fri Jan 08, 2010 10:01 pm

Last edited by gollymolly on Sat Dec 11, 2010 2:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

Black-Blue

Bronze

Post by Black-Blue » Fri Jan 08, 2010 10:29 pm

2807 wrote:Whoa.. Hold on.

I know nothing about law school and job prospects, but I know a lot about life.
Glad to know.

The choice of attending law school is about cost and benefit. That's basically it, because who the heck wants to go to law school if not for some benefit, which is embodied in job prospects. Of course you could go to law school to "learn about the law" but you might have noticed that many law school professors, up to those at Yale, don't even have a degree in law.

Like the OP, I'm also a 1L, a T1, but I will only have about 60k debt at graduation. However, even though it would take lower grades for me to drop out, I will still drop out if for some reason law school doesn't make sense in a cost-benefit analysis.

SteelReserve

Bronze

Post by SteelReserve » Fri Jan 08, 2010 10:55 pm

I won't go all jdunderground and tell you to learn a trade like HVAC or electrician or plumber (though you might consider it).

But the question is, is there really any grad program that has better job prospects now? Probably not; and assuming you went to law school, you probably don't have a strong science background.
Truth is, everyone it struggling for work now, not just law.

So the real calculus is whether you want to bleed 200k for no job or 70k for no job (35k if you drop out now instead of doing 2nd semester).

Silver

Post by 2807 » Fri Jan 08, 2010 11:04 pm

How much debt is there if you get A's?

All that has been clarified is that your fantasy of how you would pay back the debt has changed. Pick a new fantasy, they are all equal....

Relax. If law is what you want to do, then do it buddy. And then focus on things that really matter, like family and health, and family, and family. There are thousands of attorneys living wonderful and fulfilling lives who never went to the fancy schools. Relax. You are too caught up in the image. You can never live up to an image.

I say, study the same way and take the B's, learn the ropes, and go kick ass in life. Do not wait for big-law to design you--for you. In the end you will resent ALL OF THAT. Go be you, the guy that got some B's in law school, and now is 10 years out and doing great.....

And let the cards fall where they are gonna fall, cause you can't change them anyway.

All of the rest is commentary.

Trust me, I come to you from the future.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”