Character and Fitness - Online Poker? Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
Nietzsche_Addy

New

Character and Fitness - Online Poker?

Post by Nietzsche_Addy » Sat Jan 02, 2010 3:02 pm

I decided to treat myself to some Full Tilt over break. I deposited $100 after my last final; two weeks later, my stack is at $2276.74! Started at $5-10 SNGs and won a few tourneys, then went to cash games and started making bank.

I'd like to keep playing for the rest of my break to see how much I can bring in. However, online poker is illegal here. No one has ever been prosecuted, but it is punishable as a misdemeanor. Even though I'll most likely never be charged with anything, could this still come up during character and fitness? Am I just being paranoid?

dakatz

Gold

Re: Character and Fitness - Online Poker?

Post by dakatz » Sat Jan 02, 2010 3:07 pm

I once participated in a football pool with a bunch of friends for a $100 prize. You think I'm going to put that? C'mon, buddy, don't be so paranoid.

Mr. Matlock

Silver

Post by Mr. Matlock » Sat Jan 02, 2010 3:12 pm

Nietzsche_Addy wrote:I decided to treat myself to some Full Tilt over break. I deposited $100 after my last final; two weeks later, my stack is at $2276.74! Started at $5-10 SNGs and won a few tourneys, then went to cash games and started making bank.

I'd like to keep playing for the rest of my break to see how much I can bring in. However, online poker is illegal here. No one has ever been prosecuted, but it is punishable as a misdemeanor. Even though I'll most likely never be charged with anything, could this still come up during character and fitness? Am I just being paranoid?
Oh, it spells trouble all right.

Tell you what, PM me your account # and I'll transfer the money into a safe account I have. No one will be the wiser.

Nietzsche_Addy

New

Post by Nietzsche_Addy » Sat Jan 02, 2010 3:14 pm

dakatz wrote:I once participated in a football pool with a bunch of friends for a $100 prize. You think I'm going to put that? C'mon, buddy, don't be so paranoid.
Well, there is a "paper" trail here. It is a little different than a pool with some friends.

Nietzsche_Addy

New

Post by Nietzsche_Addy » Sat Jan 02, 2010 3:15 pm

Mr. Matlock wrote:
Nietzsche_Addy wrote:I decided to treat myself to some Full Tilt over break. I deposited $100 after my last final; two weeks later, my stack is at $2276.74! Started at $5-10 SNGs and won a few tourneys, then went to cash games and started making bank.

Oh, it spells trouble all right.

Tell you what, PM me your account # and I'll transfer the money into a safe account I have. No one will be the wiser.
Sent you a PM :wink:

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Mroberts3

Bronze

Post by Mroberts3 » Sat Jan 02, 2010 4:44 pm

I was under the impression that recent legislation made it illegal for banks to approve online poker transfers, not for the players themselves. This may be incorrect, or there may be a local law relevant to you. I do know that congress attached an anti poker bill to a port securty bill a while back that apparently wasn't aimed directly at the players, but rather at poker sites and banks.

Corsair

Gold

Post by Corsair » Sat Jan 02, 2010 5:40 pm

TTT-LS

Silver

Post by TTT-LS » Sat Jan 02, 2010 6:20 pm

Last edited by TTT-LS on Sun Jul 04, 2010 5:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

apper123

Silver

Post by apper123 » Sun Jan 03, 2010 1:41 am

As a few have pointed out on this thread already, you likely did nothing illegal.

If anyone here is a regular at the legislation forum on 2+2, shoot me a PM. Have a feeling some of you may be.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

wiseowl

Silver

Post by wiseowl » Sun Jan 03, 2010 2:17 am

C&F - likely fine

any criminal proceedings - likely fine

IRS - more likely to be a problem

polaris769

New

Post by polaris769 » Sun Jan 03, 2010 2:45 am

Gees, why don't you read the text of the UIGEA? Federally, its not even clear that online poker is illegal, and anyway, the UIGEA attacks the companies, not the individual consumer. Plus, there is a delay until the UIGEA is officially implemented. All the online poker players who have been prosecuted have been prosecuted for other activities such as running illegal poker clubs, money laundering, etc, not for playing online poker. What state do you live in? Most state's laws are fairly ambiguous except for Washington and some other states. And even in Washington, I doubt legal enforcement authorities will target the individual player for playing online because that would cause a lot of headaches as to whether the Washington law is constitutional (brings up a lot of privacy concerns) and anyway whether the Wire Act of the 1960s allows online poker.

Nietzsche_Addy

New

Post by Nietzsche_Addy » Sun Jan 03, 2010 12:51 pm

Sorry everyone. I was tweaking out a little bit yesterday.
wiseowl wrote:C&F - likely fine

any criminal proceedings - likely fine

IRS - more likely to be a problem
Why would the IRS be a problem if I file my winnings?

wiseowl

Silver

Post by wiseowl » Sun Jan 03, 2010 11:28 pm

well, i assumed you wouldn't file. good for you :) 8)

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”