Updated - Unemployed EIC of CK Law Review now at Kirkland Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
dr123

Gold

Re: Unemployed Editor in Chief of Chicago kent Law Review

Post by dr123 » Wed Jan 26, 2011 12:37 am

I bet a big reason this kid doesn't have a job is because he's a shit interviewer, he really comes off as an entitled douche in the article

dresden doll

Platinum

Post by dresden doll » Wed Jan 26, 2011 1:04 am

seespotrun wrote:
BaronDetroit wrote:You bring customer oriented service customized to the particuliar needs of the client. Some lawyers treat clients as if they are trash. Certainly, another key is to launch lawsuits and not be afraid to bring actions that a more experienced lawyer would dismiss as non viable. The thrill and aggressiveness to ensure your client gets richly compensated is the lynchpin of my theory.
Sounds bulletproof to me.
Do not encourage that nonsense, even in jest.

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Wed Jan 26, 2011 1:11 am

BaronDetroit wrote:You bring customer oriented service customized to the particuliar needs of the client. Some lawyers treat clients as if they are trash. Certainly, another key is to launch lawsuits and not be afraid to bring actions that a more experienced lawyer would dismiss as non viable. The thrill and aggressiveness to ensure your client gets richly compensated is the lynchpin of my theory.
You're an obvious troll, there's a mild danger someone reading might actually believe something you say, so... you're gone.

Aqualibrium

Gold

Post by Aqualibrium » Wed Jan 26, 2011 1:12 am

dr123 wrote:I bet a big reason this kid doesn't have a job is because he's a shit interviewer, he really comes off as an entitled douche in the article

Most people are either shit interviewers or passing interviewers...The odds are 90% that you fall in to one of those two categories as well. The article acknowledged that the letter he wrote was tongue in cheek.

The big reason this kid is unemployed is because he is top 34-5% at Kent and wants major firm work.

Aqualibrium

Gold

Post by Aqualibrium » Wed Jan 26, 2011 1:13 am

vanwinkle wrote:
You're an obvious troll, there's a mild danger someone reading might actually believe something you say, so... you're gone.

I think people were actually believing it. I can't believe people actually tried to argue with that gibberish.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Black-Blue

Bronze

Post by Black-Blue » Wed Jan 26, 2011 1:51 am

The moral of the story is that at TTTs Law Review doesn't mean jack if you don't have grades. Firms first look at your GPA (e.g. top 10%), and then law review. This guy couldn't get past the first step because he was only 34%.

Mickey Quicknumbers

Gold

Post by Mickey Quicknumbers » Wed Jan 26, 2011 1:56 am

Aqualibrium wrote:
vanwinkle wrote:

I think people were actually believing it. I can't believe people actually tried to argue with that gibberish.
I didn't think he was real, but I figured i'd humor him anyways just in case.

awarunn

New

Post by awarunn » Wed Jan 26, 2011 3:03 am

Aqualibrium wrote:
dr123 wrote:I bet a big reason this kid doesn't have a job is because he's a shit interviewer, he really comes off as an entitled douche in the article

Most people are either shit interviewers or passing interviewers...The odds are 90% that you fall in to one of those two categories as well. The article acknowledged that the letter he wrote was tongue in cheek.

The big reason this kid is unemployed is because he is top 34-5% at Kent and wants major firm work.
I found this interview/thread fairly inspiring.

First, you're probably right. This writer may be unemployed because he (1) is a mediocre student at a T2 law school, (2) he may not be a good interviewer, or (3) because his standards may be too high...I don't really know.

Second, if we believe his blog entry, his unemployment is not due to lack of effort.

Personally, I am inspired by his effort and his willingness to try unconventional means. He was apparently up against the ropes and tried every way to meet people that he could think of. His results were successful, at least indirectly. He has a nationally-read blog writing an article about him. Plus, he got an informational interview with a successful attorney/writer where he received some sound advice (see his blog) and he displayed perseverance.

I think we could all learn from his efforts. I'm not recommending his precise strategy but I think his attitude is admirable. He is not giving up and he's clearly demonstrated his strong desire to get a job.

In this economy, and if you are a T2 student, you should be trying all avenues of employment that you can think of. I'm sure a lot of mediocre T2 students, who have invested a lot of money into their education, have given up because they haven't stumbled into a job.

Don't look at this guy's strategy as a model path to employment but look at the story as motivation to think outside the box and give 100% effort to gain employment.

A'nold

Gold

Post by A'nold » Wed Jan 26, 2011 4:16 am

Yes, we all know dude was just messing with people in this thread. However, I just have to add that the doom and gloom "the sky is falling," "oh noez, yu'll be sood for malpractiz!!!!!!!" comments are greatly over-exaggerated. It's not that hard not to get sued for malpractice, whether you are a 10+ year attorney or just a kid starting out. As long as you make sure you know the rules you will be fine. Note that I am not saying your services will be fantastic, but it's not like you are a high school kid trying to perform brain surgery. Tons of graduates hang a shingle right away and there is no giant malpractice epidemic sweeping the nation.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Jack Smirks

Silver

Post by Jack Smirks » Wed Jan 26, 2011 4:22 am

vanwinkle wrote:
Well that's some bullshit.

smokyroom26

Bronze

Post by smokyroom26 » Wed Jan 26, 2011 5:57 pm

JusticeHarlan wrote:
BaronDetroit wrote:Nobody has told me why this theory is not viable: Go to any ABA accredited law school and become a lawyer arising out of the juris doctorate. Simplify the way in which lawyers make money. Become very ignorant and simply find clients who want to obtain large quantities of money. Find these claimants and launch lawsuit after lawsuit knowing that clients nor judges care what your school was or grades were. Its not easy- nothing is. But until a new lawyer fails at this theory I see no reason to ever apply for any jobs.
FRCP 11(c)
TITCR

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Wed Jan 26, 2011 6:42 pm

smokyroom26 wrote:
JusticeHarlan wrote:
BaronDetroit wrote:Nobody has told me why this theory is not viable: Go to any ABA accredited law school and become a lawyer arising out of the juris doctorate. Simplify the way in which lawyers make money. Become very ignorant and simply find clients who want to obtain large quantities of money. Find these claimants and launch lawsuit after lawsuit knowing that clients nor judges care what your school was or grades were. Its not easy- nothing is. But until a new lawyer fails at this theory I see no reason to ever apply for any jobs.
FRCP 11(c)
TITCR

helfer snooterbagon

Bronze

Post by helfer snooterbagon » Mon Mar 28, 2011 11:52 am

This guy scored. He is now at Kirkland.

http://www.kirkland.com/sitecontent.cfm ... emID=10170

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

seespotrun

Gold

Post by seespotrun » Mon Mar 28, 2011 12:37 pm

helfer snooterbagon wrote:This guy scored. He is now at Kirkland.

http://www.kirkland.com/sitecontent.cfm ... emID=10170
Thanks for the update. Do you know him?

vanwinkle

Platinum

Re: Updated - Unemployed EIC of CK Law Review now at Kirkland

Post by vanwinkle » Mon Mar 28, 2011 1:03 pm

Wow. Dormant thread revival that's actually legit. I never thought I'd see the day...

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”