UC Hastings Class of 2014 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2014)
kapital98

Silver

Re: UC Hastings Class of 2014

Post by kapital98 » Sat Jun 04, 2011 2:05 pm

jawsome wrote:
kapital98 wrote:
rebelx13 wrote:What're people doing for housing. Anyone looking for a (male) roommate?
I have no idea. The Tower is full with a waitlist of ~40 people. I tried to get into the "The Mission's" subsidized housing (the projects) but they are full and their waitlist is full. You have to call each week to see if a spot opens up. I don't know how San Francisco's public housing works so if anyone can help it would be much appreciated. I'm willing to live anywhere.

I'll PM you some specifics.
Trust me, you do not want to live in SF's public housing. It is not worth it, even if it were half the price of a regular apartment. Share a bedroom with someone instead.
What's wrong with public housing? Where I live public housing doesn't exist.

I may do public interest work and, if I do, it might be beneficial to live in public housing.

whathojeeves

Bronze

Post by whathojeeves » Sat Jun 04, 2011 4:05 pm

kapital98 wrote:
jawsome wrote:
kapital98 wrote:
rebelx13 wrote:What're people doing for housing. Anyone looking for a (male) roommate?
I have no idea. The Tower is full with a waitlist of ~40 people. I tried to get into the "The Mission's" subsidized housing (the projects) but they are full and their waitlist is full. You have to call each week to see if a spot opens up. I don't know how San Francisco's public housing works so if anyone can help it would be much appreciated. I'm willing to live anywhere.

I'll PM you some specifics.
Trust me, you do not want to live in SF's public housing. It is not worth it, even if it were half the price of a regular apartment. Share a bedroom with someone instead.
What's wrong with public housing? Where I live public housing doesn't exist.

I may do public interest work and, if I do, it might be beneficial to live in public housing.
I grew up in San Francisco and recently moved back. Having seen public housing all over the world, some of it from a professional standpoint, I cannot agree more with the earlier poster. If fact, let me reiterate and restate the earlier poster's comment. Do not live in San Francisco public housing. Seriously.

Also I really don't see why you think you need to live in "the projects" if you're doing public interest work. At all. There are plenty of people doing public interest in this city, and none that I know live in public housing. Many share bedrooms or space with like-minded individuals in the Mission, Outer Mission, Dogpatch, or Potrero Hill, all of which have some reasonably priced share-options and are much less uncomfortable and potentially dangerous.

kapital98

Silver

Post by kapital98 » Sat Jun 04, 2011 9:22 pm

whathojeeves wrote:
I grew up in San Francisco and recently moved back. Having seen public housing all over the world, some of it from a professional standpoint, I cannot agree more with the earlier poster. If fact, let me reiterate and restate the earlier poster's comment. Do not live in San Francisco public housing. Seriously.

Also I really don't see why you think you need to live in "the projects" if you're doing public interest work. At all. There are plenty of people doing public interest in this city, and none that I know live in public housing. Many share bedrooms or space with like-minded individuals in the Mission, Outer Mission, Dogpatch, or Potrero Hill, all of which have some reasonably priced share-options and are much less uncomfortable and potentially dangerous.
Thank you. I appreciate the input. However, can you tell me why it's worse? Is the housing in really poor quality (i.e. cockroaches, rats, walls falling apart)? Is there a relatively high chance of getting mugged or harmed?

I'm interested in living in public housing because: 1) I should qualify for subsidized rent; and, 2) being in the shoes of the people you represent is different from being around "like minded" people.

Any help is appreciated. Thank You.

P.S. I plan on living in public housing during law school. After law school I have NO intent on living in public housing.

whathojeeves

Bronze

Post by whathojeeves » Sun Jun 05, 2011 4:22 pm

kapital98 wrote:
whathojeeves wrote:

Thank you. I appreciate the input. However, can you tell me why it's worse? Is the housing in really poor quality (i.e. cockroaches, rats, walls falling apart)? Is there a relatively high chance of getting mugged or harmed?

I'm interested in living in public housing because: 1) I should qualify for subsidized rent; and, 2) being in the shoes of the people you represent is different from being around "like minded" people.

Any help is appreciated. Thank You.

P.S. I plan on living in public housing during law school. After law school I have NO intent on living in public housing.
In all fairness, there is/has been a huge move to improve and rebuild them. The set of buildings on between Valencia and Guerrero at 14th Street is a good example of this. However, it is slow going, and in some cases even the replacement housing has quickly become pretty shady (some of the Cesar Chavez buildings for example).

The actual buildings of a majority of the projects are very old -- new construction is the exception rather than the rule. Many of the buildings date to the 1970's, have dubious handicapped access, limited ventilation, and a host of structural issues (keep in mind that this is after all earthquake country, so that's really something to worry about). For an example, look at the projects in the Western Addition.

There's a pretty high rate of crime in many of the projects in the city. Break-ins are common. As are drug use and, though to a lesser obvious degree these days, prostitution. I walked by the Valencia projects the other day at about 6pm (which are miles and miles better than many of the projects as they were recently rebuilt) and found myself in front of a very large, very high woman dressed in a pink tank top and a purple thong. And that was it. No shoes. No pants. A couple of hours later I walked by again and she was still wandering up and down the sidewalk, threatening passersby. The Mission as a whole has had an uptick in gang violence recently, particularly around the projects -- I've heard from people working in the at-risk industry that gentrification has made "territories" more compact and hotly disputed than before.

I completely agree with you that it's important to understand the populace that you're serving. However, I think it's very possible to do that without putting yourself in harms way. I love this city, and have lived/would live in the Mission/Outer Mission or the Western Addition, where you will absolutely encounter (and can easily work with) the populations that you will be serving.

Living directly in the heart of chaos just doesn't strike me as the most conducive living situation for succeeding in law school, particularly your first year.

Edit: I feel I should qualify my analysis here by saying that there are some very decent public housing projects in San Francisco, and I don't think that public housing is awful, just that it desperately needs to be reformed. Those buildings are limited, and typically have special criteria for qualification.

If you qualify for Section 8 vouchers, that may be a route to take to defray some of your housing costs. You would then likely live in a building with people requiring some public assistance (landlords that will take Section 8 tend to have several renters using them) and it would probably be a much less stressful option.

Good luck, and welcome to San Francisco :-)!

Borhas

Platinum

Post by Borhas » Mon Jun 06, 2011 12:26 am

just don't live in Hunter's Point, though if you're moving from out of town I have to imagine lots of folks are ahead of you on the waiting lists for public housing anyway

don't worry, there are a ton of under-served folks on the streets around campus... exposure won't be a problem
Last edited by Borhas on Sun Jan 28, 2018 1:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

kapital98

Silver

Post by kapital98 » Mon Jun 06, 2011 9:37 pm

Thank you Whathojeeves for the detailed answer. It's much appreciated.

Nice comment Borhas. I look forward to San Francisco!

sclatin2000

New

Post by sclatin2000 » Tue Jun 07, 2011 1:57 pm

Hi everyone. Finally made the decision to attend Hastings and am happy to join everyone on this thread. I'm coming in from Los Angeles through the LEOP program, and look forward to meeting everyone soon.

That being said, is anyone looking for an extra roommate to share a place? I'm clean, low-key, and have a big ass 3D Plasma TV to share if that helps :lol: . Feel free to PM me if you'd like.

Thanks!

Gallon_Ziplock

New

Post by Gallon_Ziplock » Tue Jun 07, 2011 8:08 pm

ilovesf wrote:
rebelx13 wrote: Not sure about pictures as the housing site has very basic and generic photos. I'm planning on going there this week (assuming everything my schedule works out) and taking a look at the studio sizes. 500 square feet doesn't mean much in paper. Just not a fan of the academic year lease. Wish it was semester instead. I'd like to have an out if my roommate moves out or the like.
Would you be able to take a picture with your phone or something of the tower apts you see and post them here? It could be helpful for people who are trying to decide whether to live there or not. I saw a studio while I visited and it was bigger than I thought it would be.. I'm a really bad judge of space and can't really get a grasp of space based on square footage either.
I took some photos with my phone when i visited a couple months back, and I will try to dig them up.

Btw, I sent my CA residency forms a while back and WebAdvisor still says they are "missing". Has anyone else's status changed on WebAdvisor?

Lasers

Gold

Post by Lasers » Wed Jun 08, 2011 12:37 am

Gallon_Ziplock wrote:
ilovesf wrote:
rebelx13 wrote: Not sure about pictures as the housing site has very basic and generic photos. I'm planning on going there this week (assuming everything my schedule works out) and taking a look at the studio sizes. 500 square feet doesn't mean much in paper. Just not a fan of the academic year lease. Wish it was semester instead. I'd like to have an out if my roommate moves out or the like.
Would you be able to take a picture with your phone or something of the tower apts you see and post them here? It could be helpful for people who are trying to decide whether to live there or not. I saw a studio while I visited and it was bigger than I thought it would be.. I'm a really bad judge of space and can't really get a grasp of space based on square footage either.
I took some photos with my phone when i visited a couple months back, and I will try to dig them up.

Btw, I sent my CA residency forms a while back and WebAdvisor still says they are "missing". Has anyone else's status changed on WebAdvisor?
i sent mine a month or so ago, and it was marked recieved like 2 weeks ago. i would call them soon seeing as the deadline is the 15th i think?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

ilovesf

Diamond

Post by ilovesf » Wed Jun 08, 2011 7:50 am

Lasers wrote: i sent mine a month or so ago, and it was marked recieved like 2 weeks ago. i would call them soon seeing as the deadline is the 15th i think?
Me too. I would also call them to double check if I were you.

restless

New

Post by restless » Wed Jun 08, 2011 2:05 pm

ilovesf wrote:
Lasers wrote: i sent mine a month or so ago, and it was marked recieved like 2 weeks ago. i would call them soon seeing as the deadline is the 15th i think?
Me too. I would also call them to double check if I were you.
I called on Monday to verify that mine was received (I had delivery confirmed on May 20th). Apparently the lady in charge of processing was on vacation last week and this will be her first week back. They said they encourage checking up every other day on your residency petition.
They also sent me this e-mail for reassurance:

Dear Ashley:

The default on WebAdvisor will continue to show your documents as "missing" until your application is reviewed. It does not indicate that your application has not been received. Please continue to check WebAdvisor over the next 2 weeks for an update on your application.

Please feel free to contact our office with any further questions.

Residency Officer

Definitely follow up, but don't worry too much just yet.

Lasers

Gold

Post by Lasers » Wed Jun 08, 2011 3:08 pm

just got my housing assignment.

wanted an efficiency, but they are apparently out of those and instead was assigned a studio on the 12th floor. not bad.

restless

New

Post by restless » Wed Jun 08, 2011 3:50 pm

Lasers wrote:just got my housing assignment.

wanted an efficiency, but they are apparently out of those and instead was assigned a studio on the 12th floor. not bad.
Did they ever tell you what spot you were on the housing waitlist?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Lasers

Gold

Post by Lasers » Wed Jun 08, 2011 3:54 pm

restless wrote:
Lasers wrote:just got my housing assignment.

Did they ever tell you what spot you were on the housing waitlist?
nope, they didn't. i sent in my application over a month ago, if that can help you gauge anything.

the 12th floor sounds like a happy medium; might have a decent view and yet not too high.

vb007

New

Post by vb007 » Thu Jun 09, 2011 4:00 am

welcome class of 2014! i'm a rising 3L wasting time instead of sleeping before work tomorrow. feel free to pm me with questions.

for the person who got assigned to the 12th floor of the tower. i think a few of my friends are on the 12th floor. you'll have good neighbors!

auroojgulzar

New

Post by auroojgulzar » Sat Jun 11, 2011 1:22 am

Hey-

do you think i still have a chance getting a studio in the tower also have any of you considered shipping your furniture long distant.

thedumbwaiter

New

Post by thedumbwaiter » Sat Jun 11, 2011 10:40 am

I just got my room assignment too. They've given me one with a bed, desk and chair. Maybe they felt sorry for me because I'm coming from abroad. Whatever the reason is I'm super relieved I don't have to build myself an Ikea bed.
Last edited by thedumbwaiter on Wed Feb 01, 2012 10:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Borhas

Platinum

Post by Borhas » Sat Jun 11, 2011 10:42 am

you guys worrying about furniture/moving... if you get to SF you could get a zip car to haul stuff around, if you're lucky they'll even have a truck... at $7.5/hr including gas it may be an efficient way to get large objects from pt A to pt B
Last edited by Borhas on Sun Jan 28, 2018 1:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

restless

New

Post by restless » Sat Jun 11, 2011 12:18 pm

thedumbwaiter wrote:I just got my room assignment too. I'll be living in an efficiency on the fifth floor. Also, I know the website says all rooms are unfurnished but they've given me one with a bed, desk and chair. Maybe they felt sorry for me because I'm coming from a different country. Whatever the reason is I'm super relieved I don't have to build myself an Ikea bed.
Ha, well it does mention on the tower website that the very few furnished rooms it has are reserved for international students.
auroojgulzar wrote:Hey-

do you think i still have a chance getting a studio in the tower also have any of you considered shipping your furniture long distant.
If you've just recently been accepted, then probably not. I know a few people who sent in their housing application in late April/early May and they've been told via e-mail that there are no longer any available efficiencies/studios.

auroojgulzar

New

Post by auroojgulzar » Sat Jun 11, 2011 9:35 pm

thanks for the response guys. are we responsible for finding our own roommate if we get a two bedroom?

kapital98

Silver

Post by kapital98 » Sun Jun 12, 2011 7:37 pm

Does any 2L or 3L know what classes students take during the first semester? Also, how big is each block of students? I've looked at the course catalog and it says almost all first year classes are offered in both Fall and Spring. Is there any set combination of this or is there any generally preferred choice?

Any help is appreciated,

Thank You

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

thebauss

New

Post by thebauss » Mon Jun 13, 2011 7:08 pm

Hey guys what are some good living options around campus other than on on campus housing? How are prices and such?

jspri

New

Post by jspri » Mon Jun 13, 2011 9:59 pm

Wanted a studio but got an efficiency. Still stoked to be living in the tower.

mnolen

Bronze

Post by mnolen » Mon Jun 13, 2011 11:09 pm

kapital98 wrote:Does any 2L or 3L know what classes students take during the first semester? Also, how big is each block of students? I've looked at the course catalog and it says almost all first year classes are offered in both Fall and Spring. Is there any set combination of this or is there any generally preferred choice?

Any help is appreciated,

Thank You
The different sections tend to take classes in a different order. For example, my first semester was Torts, Crim, and Civ Pro. Second semester was Contracts, Property, and Con Law 1. Others had this same set of classes but in a different order, eg with torts/civ pro/property first semester or whatever. During my year, everyone took Civ Pro first sem and everyone took Con law second, but apparently this year one section took Civ Pro second semester. Not sure if they'll be doing that again and I think it would probably suck. Everyone takes LWR 1st semester and Moot Court 2nd semester. During second semester you also take a statutory class of your choice.

There are 80-90 people per section.

kapital98

Silver

Post by kapital98 » Mon Jun 13, 2011 11:35 pm

mnolen wrote:
kapital98 wrote:Does any 2L or 3L know what classes students take during the first semester? Also, how big is each block of students? I've looked at the course catalog and it says almost all first year classes are offered in both Fall and Spring. Is there any set combination of this or is there any generally preferred choice?

Any help is appreciated,

Thank You
The different sections tend to take classes in a different order. For example, my first semester was Torts, Crim, and Civ Pro. Second semester was Contracts, Property, and Con Law 1. Others had this same set of classes but in a different order, eg with torts/civ pro/property first semester or whatever. During my year, everyone took Civ Pro first sem and everyone took Con law second, but apparently this year one section took Civ Pro second semester. Not sure if they'll be doing that again and I think it would probably suck. Everyone takes LWR 1st semester and Moot Court 2nd semester. During second semester you also take a statutory class of your choice.

There are 80-90 people per section.
Thanks

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2014 Forum”