Housing at UChicago!

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2014)
User avatar
Dany
Posts: 11580
Joined: Mon Sep 28, 2009 3:00 pm

Housing at UChicago!

Postby Dany » Tue Apr 26, 2011 12:13 pm

Resources:

Padmapper

MAC Website (LinkRemoved) (a company that owns approximately a billion apartment complexes in Hyde Park)

Chicago Apartment Finders (LinkRemoved)

Craigslist



An awesome google map of important places in Hyde Park, courtesy of hmlee (author of the post: So You're Thinking of Moving to Hyde Park?):

Google Map



Some popular choices of law students:

Regents Park (LinkRemoved)

Last year's law school rates (LinkRemoved)

Algonquin (LinkRemoved)

The Windermere (LinkRemoved)
Last edited by Dany on Sun Aug 21, 2011 3:35 am, edited 3 times in total.

User avatar
Xifeng
Posts: 2562
Joined: Thu Mar 24, 2011 3:59 pm

Re: Housing at UChicago!

Postby Xifeng » Tue Apr 26, 2011 12:16 pm

<3 dany :D

d34d9823
Posts: 1915
Joined: Wed Apr 14, 2010 2:52 pm

Re: Housing at UChicago!

Postby d34d9823 » Tue Apr 26, 2011 12:18 pm

Xifeng wrote:<3 dany :D

Ghost
Posts: 1282
Joined: Fri Oct 29, 2010 7:34 pm

Re: Housing at UChicago!

Postby Ghost » Tue Apr 26, 2011 12:19 pm

.
Last edited by Ghost on Wed Aug 31, 2011 5:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Tom Hagen
Posts: 8
Joined: Tue Apr 26, 2011 10:48 am

Re: Housing at UChicago!

Postby Tom Hagen » Tue Apr 26, 2011 12:32 pm

Anybody not know where they're living yet?

I'm a 23 year old male looking for a roommate, male or female, to share an apartment or nice place. I'm specifically going to look for stainless steel appliances and granite countertops as close to the school as possible. Maybe Regents or Algonquin, but open to anything nice.

About me: I'm extremely neat and organized and I prefer the same in a roommate. I have a very well trained 12lb dog. I'm into fitness and like to eat healthy so I cook a lot at home. I take weekdays very seriously but I expect I'll want to party on weekends. I had an active social life in undergrad and still do so if you did/do too we might be on the same page socially.

I prefer to not live with someone straight out of UG but if you are and agree so far with what I'm looking for I'm sure it'll work.

I plan on taking school very seriously but neither law school nor the application process have been the center of my life so I'm not "one of those" and would rather not live with that type.

If anyone out there might be interested, private message would be best since replies to this post may get lost in the tide of other comments that I don't care to sift through. Let me know.

trudat15
Posts: 900
Joined: Mon Jun 07, 2010 11:57 pm

Re: Housing at UChicago!

Postby trudat15 » Tue Apr 26, 2011 1:14 pm

Tag. Thanks Dany!

User avatar
JFo
Posts: 397
Joined: Thu Feb 17, 2011 7:23 pm

Re: Housing at UChicago!

Postby JFo » Tue Apr 26, 2011 1:38 pm

Tagging with photo of adoradog.

Image

User avatar
Emma.
Posts: 2401
Joined: Sun Oct 05, 2008 7:57 pm

Re: Housing at UChicago!

Postby Emma. » Tue Apr 26, 2011 6:17 pm

Tom Hagen wrote:Anybody not know where they're living yet?

I'm a 23 year old male looking for a roommate, male or female, to share an apartment or nice place. I'm specifically going to look for stainless steel appliances and granite countertops as close to the school as possible. Maybe Regents or Algonquin, but open to anything nice.

About me: I'm extremely neat and organized and I prefer the same in a roommate. I have a very well trained 12lb dog. I'm into fitness and like to eat healthy so I cook a lot at home. I take weekdays very seriously but I expect I'll want to party on weekends. I had an active social life in undergrad and still do so if you did/do too we might be on the same page socially.

I prefer to not live with someone straight out of UG but if you are and agree so far with what I'm looking for I'm sure it'll work.

I plan on taking school very seriously but neither law school nor the application process have been the center of my life so I'm not "one of those" and would rather not live with that type.

If anyone out there might be interested, private message would be best since replies to this post may get lost in the tide of other comments that I don't care to sift through. Let me know.


If you want very close to school there are some recently renovated condos on 61st and 62nd street that would probably fit what you are looking for.

Also, I live here and like it a lot: http://www.chicagoapt.com/index.php?opt ... ealty=user

A lot of the apartments in the building are independently owned, so prices vary (we pay less than what this one is listed for).
Last edited by Emma. on Tue Apr 26, 2011 6:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Knock
Posts: 5152
Joined: Wed Jun 10, 2009 3:09 pm

Re: Housing at UChicago!

Postby Knock » Tue Apr 26, 2011 6:21 pm

Tagging this thread. Leaning towards Regents, but wouldn't mind living closer if I could. However, safety is a big concern of mine.
Last edited by Knock on Tue Apr 26, 2011 6:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
bk1
Posts: 18402
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:06 pm

Re: Housing at UChicago!

Postby bk1 » Tue Apr 26, 2011 6:24 pm

Knock wrote:Tagging this thread. Leaning towards Regents, but wouldn't mind living closer if I could, but safety is a big concern of mine.


You should know to bookmark things by now. Tsk, tsk! :P

User avatar
Knock
Posts: 5152
Joined: Wed Jun 10, 2009 3:09 pm

Re: Housing at UChicago!

Postby Knock » Tue Apr 26, 2011 6:24 pm

bk1 wrote:
Knock wrote:Tagging this thread. Leaning towards Regents, but wouldn't mind living closer if I could, but safety is a big concern of mine.


You should know to bookmark things by now. Tsk, tsk! :P


I contributed by sharing my feelings on housing ;).

User avatar
Sentry
Posts: 1235
Joined: Tue Mar 02, 2010 6:38 pm

Re: Housing at UChicago!

Postby Sentry » Tue Apr 26, 2011 6:30 pm

Emma. wrote:
Tom Hagen wrote:Anybody not know where they're living yet?

I'm a 23 year old male looking for a roommate, male or female, to share an apartment or nice place. I'm specifically going to look for stainless steel appliances and granite countertops as close to the school as possible. Maybe Regents or Algonquin, but open to anything nice.

About me: I'm extremely neat and organized and I prefer the same in a roommate. I have a very well trained 12lb dog. I'm into fitness and like to eat healthy so I cook a lot at home. I take weekdays very seriously but I expect I'll want to party on weekends. I had an active social life in undergrad and still do so if you did/do too we might be on the same page socially.

I prefer to not live with someone straight out of UG but if you are and agree so far with what I'm looking for I'm sure it'll work.

I plan on taking school very seriously but neither law school nor the application process have been the center of my life so I'm not "one of those" and would rather not live with that type.

If anyone out there might be interested, private message would be best since replies to this post may get lost in the tide of other comments that I don't care to sift through. Let me know.


If you want very close to school there are some recently renovated condos on 61st and 62nd street that would probably fit what you are looking for.

Also, I live here and like it a lot: http://www.chicagoapt.com/index.php?opt ... ealty=user

A lot of the apartments in the building are independently owned, so prices vary (we pay less than what this one is listed for).

Granite countertops nice.

trudat15
Posts: 900
Joined: Mon Jun 07, 2010 11:57 pm

Re: Housing at UChicago!

Postby trudat15 » Tue Apr 26, 2011 6:34 pm

Emma. wrote:
Tom Hagen wrote:Anybody not know where they're living yet?

I'm a 23 year old male looking for a roommate, male or female, to share an apartment or nice place. I'm specifically going to look for stainless steel appliances and granite countertops as close to the school as possible. Maybe Regents or Algonquin, but open to anything nice.

About me: I'm extremely neat and organized and I prefer the same in a roommate. I have a very well trained 12lb dog. I'm into fitness and like to eat healthy so I cook a lot at home. I take weekdays very seriously but I expect I'll want to party on weekends. I had an active social life in undergrad and still do so if you did/do too we might be on the same page socially.

I prefer to not live with someone straight out of UG but if you are and agree so far with what I'm looking for I'm sure it'll work.

I plan on taking school very seriously but neither law school nor the application process have been the center of my life so I'm not "one of those" and would rather not live with that type.

If anyone out there might be interested, private message would be best since replies to this post may get lost in the tide of other comments that I don't care to sift through. Let me know.


If you want very close to school there are some recently renovated condos on 61st and 62nd street that would probably fit what you are looking for.

Also, I live here and like it a lot: http://www.chicagoapt.com/index.php?opt ... ealty=user

A lot of the apartments in the building are independently owned, so prices vary (we pay less than what this one is listed for).


Your building is nice - but seems far away. Are there buses that come to you? Or do you walk it?

User avatar
TaipeiMort
Posts: 874
Joined: Tue Jun 02, 2009 11:51 pm

Re: Housing at UChicago!

Postby TaipeiMort » Tue Apr 26, 2011 6:42 pm

If anyone wants a 9 month lease on a 2 bedroom (instead of eating the cost of a 12 month lease that Regents forces you into during your 1L summer) I have an apartment for you.

sarahlawg
Posts: 1001
Joined: Fri Jun 25, 2010 5:59 pm

Re: Housing at UChicago!

Postby sarahlawg » Tue Apr 26, 2011 8:24 pm

silver cloud looks great. that's the kind of place I want to find.

Thanks for the thread!

User avatar
Emma.
Posts: 2401
Joined: Sun Oct 05, 2008 7:57 pm

Re: Housing at UChicago!

Postby Emma. » Tue Apr 26, 2011 9:24 pm

trudat15 wrote:Your building is nice - but seems far away. Are there buses that come to you? Or do you walk it?


My building is 4 blocks south of Regents. It is half a block walk to the nearest 171 bus, which is kind of nice since the 172 tends to be way more crowded.

User avatar
coolgreen42
Posts: 64
Joined: Thu Jun 25, 2009 12:33 pm

Re: Housing at UChicago!

Postby coolgreen42 » Tue Apr 26, 2011 9:59 pm

I'm planning on Regents, trying to decide between 1BR alone/2BR with roommate. I'd really like to have a roommate for social as well as financial reasons, but only if they are a really good fit.

If there is someone out there who wants a nice, neat, quiet roommate who is a really great cook, please let me know. I don't care too much if you a man or woman.

Disclaimers: I'd prefer not to have a TV, and I would like keep our desks in the living room rather than the respective bedrooms (working in the bedroom always makes me end up asleep in the bed...). Also, I am allergic to cats (I like other animals though). Also, I am a great cook, but not a vegetarian. My boyfriend will visit occasionally.

Bonus features: I can teach you fun old timey skills (knitting, embroidery, canning, candle/soap making, etc) if you want. I will cook food for you. My college roommate found me very easy to live with because I am very conscientious about not being a pain/annoyance/inconvenience.

Ghost
Posts: 1282
Joined: Fri Oct 29, 2010 7:34 pm

Re: Housing at UChicago!

Postby Ghost » Tue Apr 26, 2011 10:32 pm

.
Last edited by Ghost on Wed Aug 31, 2011 5:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
JFo
Posts: 397
Joined: Thu Feb 17, 2011 7:23 pm

Re: Housing at UChicago!

Postby JFo » Tue Apr 26, 2011 10:40 pm

Ghost wrote:
coolgreen42 wrote:I'm planning on Regents, trying to decide between 1BR alone/2BR with roommate.

Disclaimers: I'd prefer not to have a TV, and I would like keep our desks in the living room rather than the respective bedrooms (working in the bedroom always makes me end up asleep in the bed...).


LOL! I've been saying this last part in the thread since February. Desk + bed in same room = nap. I'm having the same mixed feelings about deciding between a 1 and 2br.


I have the same issue. I tried to solve the problem by getting desktop, but you can guess how that went in thesis time...

I'm about 90% sure I'm going to do 1BR. I like the freedom of having people over anytime I'd like, letting the place get messy during finals, etc. Plus, I'd like to give myself the best shot at having friends in LS as possible, and living with someone would probably mean one less friend in the end. Also animals.

squirrelgirl
Posts: 55
Joined: Mon Jun 28, 2010 5:40 pm

Re: Housing at UChicago!

Postby squirrelgirl » Wed Apr 27, 2011 8:01 am

coolgreen42 wrote:I'm planning on Regents, trying to decide between 1BR alone/2BR with roommate. I'd really like to have a roommate for social as well as financial reasons, but only if they are a really good fit.

If there is someone out there who wants a nice, neat, quiet roommate who is a really great cook, please let me know. I don't care too much if you a man or woman.

Disclaimers: I'd prefer not to have a TV, and I would like keep our desks in the living room rather than the respective bedrooms (working in the bedroom always makes me end up asleep in the bed...). Also, I am allergic to cats (I like other animals though). Also, I am a great cook, but not a vegetarian. My boyfriend will visit occasionally.

Bonus features: I can teach you fun old timey skills (knitting, embroidery, canning, candle/soap making, etc) if you want. I will cook food for you. My college roommate found me very easy to live with because I am very conscientious about not being a pain/annoyance/inconvenience.


You sound like you'd be a pretty excellent roommate, and my knitting skills could definitely use some improvement (I never made it past knitting square/rectangular things, i.e. scarfs), but I think I'll need to have a TV. Anyone else looking for a roommate in Regents who wouldn't mind having a TV to watch on occasion?

User avatar
coolgreen42
Posts: 64
Joined: Thu Jun 25, 2009 12:33 pm

Re: Housing at UChicago!

Postby coolgreen42 » Wed Apr 27, 2011 8:56 am

squirrelgirl wrote:
You sound like you'd be a pretty excellent roommate, and my knitting skills could definitely use some improvement (I never made it past knitting square/rectangular things, i.e. scarfs), but I think I'll need to have a TV. Anyone else looking for a roommate in Regents who wouldn't mind having a TV to watch on occasion?


Well, if you only want to watch it on occasion maybe we could talk.

I am not a total weirdo about this (well, maybe a little) but here is a more detailed explanation.
I do watch TV, I just watch it online. I like that watching TV online gives the possibility of using headphones so that if one person wants to watch TV and the other person wants to study, both can happen. And I am definitely not always the person who wants to study!
My problems with the TV set are
1. Growing up, my house had a super open floor plan and the TV was always on. When the TV was on, the only place that I could not hear it was shut up in my room. The only time I can do real reading is when I can't hear the TV. I didn't like that.
2. Cable is really expensive. If there was a TV in the apartment, I would undoubtedly watch it at some point, but I don't value it at $60/month or whatever cable costs. I am not a jerk, though, and would pay for my share, because not being a jerk is worth more than $30/month to me.

In conclusion, I might be a weirdo, but I'm not a jerk, and I apparently had a traumatic childhood when it comes to TV. If you wouldn't want the TV on for the majority of time that you're in the apartment, send me a PM and maybe we can find each other on facebook...

And if we don't end up roommates, I'll still do my best to help you with knitting. I just bought the most amazing cashmere/silk blend yarn on super sale!

User avatar
rbarcelo9
Posts: 537
Joined: Fri Apr 17, 2009 4:22 pm

Re: Housing at UChicago!

Postby rbarcelo9 » Wed Apr 27, 2011 9:00 am

I'll take a cashmere/silk sweater please 8)

User avatar
coolgreen42
Posts: 64
Joined: Thu Jun 25, 2009 12:33 pm

Re: Housing at UChicago!

Postby coolgreen42 » Wed Apr 27, 2011 9:13 am

rbarcelo9 wrote:I'll take a cashmere/silk sweater please 8)



Give a man a cashmere sweater, he'll be cozy for a while. Teach a man to knit a cashmere sweater, he'll be cozy for life. :)

My boyfriend learned to knit about a year ago, and he's really great at it now. You could totally learn

User avatar
rbarcelo9
Posts: 537
Joined: Fri Apr 17, 2009 4:22 pm

Re: Housing at UChicago!

Postby rbarcelo9 » Wed Apr 27, 2011 9:17 am

coolgreen42 wrote:
rbarcelo9 wrote:I'll take a cashmere/silk sweater please 8)



Give a man a cashmere sweater, he'll be cozy for a while. Teach a man to knit a cashmere sweater, he'll be cozy for life. :)

My boyfriend learned to knit about a year ago, and he's really great at it now. You could totally learn

Probably one of the most impatient men you'll ever meet. My mom crochets, I tried once for 3 minutes and wanted to kill myself.

User avatar
Xifeng
Posts: 2562
Joined: Thu Mar 24, 2011 3:59 pm

Re: Housing at UChicago!

Postby Xifeng » Wed Apr 27, 2011 9:27 am

.
Last edited by Xifeng on Wed Aug 31, 2011 10:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.




Return to “TLS Class of 2014 Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest