Florida State Class of 2014 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2014)
warmweatherseeker

New

Re: Florida State Class of 2014

Post by warmweatherseeker » Mon Apr 11, 2011 11:23 am

jackattack17 wrote:
warmweatherseeker wrote:Does anybody know when the second deposit is due and how much it is?
i want to say there isn't one; can anyone confirm?

You're right, I just called the school. Thanks!

ssj752

New

Post by ssj752 » Mon Apr 11, 2011 8:39 pm

I'm going up for the Spring game this weekend to get my fix of football in the off season and to look at housing. Who else is going?

lawschoolstudent85

Bronze

Post by lawschoolstudent85 » Mon Apr 11, 2011 8:40 pm

minuit

Silver

Post by minuit » Tue Apr 12, 2011 9:57 am

Sooo, I've been going back and forth between GW and FSU for about six months now. One month I'll be certain of GW, then the next I'll swing towards FSU. Having given it a good, long thought again, and having spoken with my fiancé, it seems like FSU would be the better all around choice. Moving to DC would put us approximately 300k in student loan debt between the both of us. We could buy a house (and a pretty damn nice one) with that money. We don't plan on buying a house, just the fact that we could is pretty crazy. My scholarship + in-state tuition + cost of living + weather + smaller class size + already having an established network + environmental law + friends = FSU??? GW's job opportunities are the strong pull for me, that's basically what it comes down to. Where do I go to get the job that I want?

What do you guys think? Staying in Tally is definitely the easiest option, but can the easiest also be the best/right option? I'm scared to make a choice! Ahhh!

warmweatherseeker

New

Post by warmweatherseeker » Tue Apr 12, 2011 11:30 am

minuit wrote:Sooo, I've been going back and forth between GW and FSU for about six months now. One month I'll be certain of GW, then the next I'll swing towards FSU. Having given it a good, long thought again, and having spoken with my fiancé, it seems like FSU would be the better all around choice. Moving to DC would put us approximately 300k in student loan debt between the both of us. We could buy a house (and a pretty damn nice one) with that money. We don't plan on buying a house, just the fact that we could is pretty crazy. My scholarship + in-state tuition + cost of living + weather + smaller class size + already having an established network + environmental law + friends = FSU??? GW's job opportunities are the strong pull for me, that's basically what it comes down to. Where do I go to get the job that I want?

What do you guys think? Staying in Tally is definitely the easiest option, but can the easiest also be the best/right option? I'm scared to make a choice! Ahhh!
I think what it comes down to is where do you want to work, and where do you and your fiancé want to live? If you go to FSU, you'll be able to find a solid job, but you'll be limited to the region. If you went to GW you'd be more limited to the East Coast. GW is also in competition with Georgetown, as well as the other top schools on the East Coast. FSUs main competition is UF, but you have a very strong chance of building a good career as long as you do well. So this is really a decision that can only be made by you and your fiancé.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Cool Brees

New

Post by Cool Brees » Tue Apr 12, 2011 11:47 am

minuit wrote:Sooo, I've been going back and forth between GW and FSU for about six months now. One month I'll be certain of GW, then the next I'll swing towards FSU. Having given it a good, long thought again, and having spoken with my fiancé, it seems like FSU would be the better all around choice. Moving to DC would put us approximately 300k in student loan debt between the both of us. We could buy a house (and a pretty damn nice one) with that money. We don't plan on buying a house, just the fact that we could is pretty crazy. My scholarship + in-state tuition + cost of living + weather + smaller class size + already having an established network + environmental law + friends = FSU??? GW's job opportunities are the strong pull for me, that's basically what it comes down to. Where do I go to get the job that I want?

$300,000 worth of debt would be the deciding factor for me. That is an awfully large sum of money. ITE, job prospects and ability to pay on that debt would be my biggest concerns.

minuit

Silver

Post by minuit » Tue Apr 12, 2011 2:15 pm

Cool Brees wrote:

$300,000 worth of debt would be the deciding factor for me. That is an awfully large sum of money. ITE, job prospects and ability to pay on that debt would be my biggest concerns.
Yeah those are definitely two of the most important factors to consider. These were things that were just coming off the top of my head... we've talked more, and I think I'm officially making a decision for FSU!!! And who says I can't still do an externship in DC? :wink:

I didn't go to any Admitted Students Day events, but I'm so excited to meet you all!

Bill Cosby

Bronze

Post by Bill Cosby » Tue Apr 12, 2011 2:35 pm

minuit wrote:
Cool Brees wrote:

Yeah those are definitely two of the most important factors to consider. These were things that were just coming off the top of my head... we've talked more, and I think I'm officially making a decision for FSU!!! And who says I can't still do an externship in DC? :wink:

I didn't go to any Admitted Students Day events, but I'm so excited to meet you all!
Welcome aboard!

amarkonthedoor

New

Post by amarkonthedoor » Tue Apr 12, 2011 10:20 pm

minuit wrote: Yeah those are definitely two of the most important factors to consider. These were things that were just coming off the top of my head... we've talked more, and I think I'm officially making a decision for FSU!!! And who says I can't still do an externship in DC? :wink:

Congrats on your decision! Welcome aboard x2 :)

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Cool Brees

New

Post by Cool Brees » Wed Apr 13, 2011 8:46 am

minuit wrote:
Cool Brees wrote:

That's great! I think

For ME, debt load was a serious consideration when choosing a law school. DC would be awesome, but unless I thought my job prospects would be that much better to cover the higher debt, I would weigh other cheaper options more heavily. As you know though, if you want to work in that area or market, maybe the risk is worth it for YOU. I don't know how well FSU is represented in those markets, but I would imagine not as well as other schools because FSU is a regional school. However, I was surprised to see some DC employers listed on the 07-09 employer breakdown:

--LinkRemoved--

DISTRICT OF COLUMBIA
American Osteopathic Association
Department of Homeland Security
Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation (FDIC)
National Football Association (NFL) Players Association
US Air Force, JAG Corps
US Department of Housing and Urban Development
US Navy, JAG Corps
Venable, LLP

Two are JAG and one is Homeland security; so, those people are likely not actually in DC. I am not sure about the other government agencies. NFLPA would be cool though. I'm sure I am not saying anything you don't already know. Choosing a school is such a personal decision that what is right for one person, may not be right for someone else. I look forward to meeting you, if you do choose FSU!

minuit

Silver

Post by minuit » Wed Apr 13, 2011 8:58 am

Cool Brees wrote:
minuit wrote:
Cool Brees wrote:

That's great! I think

For ME, debt load was a serious consideration when choosing a law school. DC would be awesome, but unless I thought my job prospects would be that much better to cover the higher debt, I would weigh other cheaper options more heavily. As you know though, if you want to work in that area or market, maybe the risk is worth it for YOU. I don't know how well FSU is represented in those markets, but I would imagine not as well as other schools because FSU is a regional school. However, I was surprised to see some DC employers listed on the 07-09 employer breakdown:

--LinkRemoved--

DISTRICT OF COLUMBIA
American Osteopathic Association
Department of Homeland Security
Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation (FDIC)
National Football Association (NFL) Players Association
US Air Force, JAG Corps
US Department of Housing and Urban Development
US Navy, JAG Corps
Venable, LLP

Two are JAG and one is Homeland security; so, those people are likely not actually in DC. I am not sure about the other government agencies. NFLPA would be cool though. I'm sure I am not saying anything you don't already know. Choosing a school is such a personal decision that what is right for one person, may not be right for someone else. I look forward to meeting you, if you do choose FSU!
Thanks Bill and amark!! And Brees, I know that I'll be going to FSU next year, is that better? :) I'll be married by the time school starts, we should start a club lol!

Yeah, FSU isn't very well represented in DC (of course), and I actually have no strong desire to live in DC permanently, it was just going to be a young professional type thing before moving back to.... oh, I don't know... Florida?!? There are some externship opportunities in DC in environmental law and other areas of law - of course very competitive to get, but not impossible! I also believe they recently placed a girl in an EPA office in Denver, so you just have to put in the effort. It's really just federal vs. state government that I'm thinking about. I'd be fine with the DEP, too!

Does anybody want me to start a facebook group for our class? I know there's one from the admissions office for all admitted students, but not one specifically for attending students.

Cool Brees

New

Post by Cool Brees » Wed Apr 13, 2011 11:39 am

minuit wrote: Thanks Bill and amark!! And Brees, I know that I'll be going to FSU next year, is that better? :) I'll be married by the time school starts, we should start a club lol!
:D I was just joshin ya! Yeah, it is nice to know there will be other married couples.
minuit wrote: Yeah, FSU isn't very well represented in DC (of course), and I actually have no strong desire to live in DC permanently, it was just going to be a young professional type thing before moving back to.... oh, I don't know... Florida?!? There are some externship opportunities in DC in environmental law and other areas of law - of course very competitive to get, but not impossible! I also believe they recently placed a girl in an EPA office in Denver, so you just have to put in the effort. It's really just federal vs. state government that I'm thinking about. I'd be fine with the DEP, too!

Does anybody want me to start a facebook group for our class? I know there's one from the admissions office for all admitted students, but not one specifically for attending students.
I agree. If you really want to be there, you will find a way. Yeah, yeah... TLS disclaimer: grades and connections, wait and retest, etc., but if there is a will, there is a way. I really need to get on my facebook. I never really use(d) it. Really only to check in with military friends.

trayball23

Bronze

Post by trayball23 » Wed Apr 13, 2011 11:59 am

When will the new building be ready for use?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Cool Brees

New

Post by Cool Brees » Wed Apr 13, 2011 2:37 pm

trayball23 wrote:When will the new building be ready for use?
It is suppose to be ready January of 2012.

http://www.facilities.fsu.edu/projecto/ ... ectID=3211

trayball23

Bronze

Post by trayball23 » Wed Apr 13, 2011 2:41 pm

has the deposit deadline been moved back... sorry if someone has already answered this

Skipper2014

New

Post by Skipper2014 » Wed Apr 13, 2011 5:36 pm

Seat deposit paid -- excited to meet you guys in the fall! :D Anyone want a clean female roommate who will most likely be gone every other weekend?

cmraider

Bronze

Post by cmraider » Thu Apr 14, 2011 12:50 am

*wrong forum. I failed at using the search function*
Last edited by cmraider on Sun Apr 17, 2011 4:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

ThereIsNo

New

Post by ThereIsNo » Thu Apr 14, 2011 5:18 pm

For any of you that have received scholarships or scholarship information, what was the process and how long was the wait before you found out?

fiery_searcher

New

Post by fiery_searcher » Thu Apr 14, 2011 7:07 pm

ThereIsNo wrote:For any of you that have received scholarships or scholarship information, what was the process and how long was the wait before you found out?
I received a scholarship application about two weeks after my acceptance via email. I was emailed a scholarship offer about a month after that.

minuit

Silver

Post by minuit » Fri Apr 15, 2011 12:05 pm

New tuition and fees with total COA is up:

http://financialaid.fsu.edu/apply/cost_law.html

sigh... definitely a 15% tuition increase this year!

EricBerry

Bronze

Post by EricBerry » Fri Apr 15, 2011 1:21 pm

minuit wrote:New tuition and fees with total COA is up:

Not cool, FSU.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

last.chance

New

Post by last.chance » Fri Apr 15, 2011 5:53 pm

EricBerry wrote:
minuit wrote:New tuition and fees with total COA is up:

Not cool, FSU.
+1

last.chance

New

Post by last.chance » Fri Apr 15, 2011 5:58 pm

cmraider wrote:Got dinged today. Did anyone who was rejected think the language of their letter was a bit strange? I found it odd that they encouraged me to transfer if I'm in the top 1/3 of whichever law school I choose to attend.
I think you're on the wrong thread. But, I can tell you my rejection letter from Tulane was similar.

ThereIsNo wrote:For any of you that have received scholarships or scholarship information, what was the process and how long was the wait before you found out?
My scholly offer was made in my acceptance letter.

Bill Cosby

Bronze

Post by Bill Cosby » Sun Apr 17, 2011 2:27 pm

I'm going to start updating the opening post with commonly asked questions/important info. Please PM me if you have something to add.

ManofGod78

New

Post by ManofGod78 » Sun Apr 17, 2011 4:01 pm

Checking in. Accepted, and more than likely will be attending in the fall. Hello to everyone, and congrats--I realize an acceptance is an accomplishment in itself.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2014 Forum”