Cornell Class of 2014

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2014)
nihilism is key

Re: Cornell Class of 2014

Postby nihilism is key » Wed Mar 16, 2011 3:07 pm

mths wrote:
PAR12 wrote:I'd be down to meet for drinks Thurs/Fri night.

By chance does anyone know a good bar in town?

In collegetown, Rulloffs and Chapter House have a nice dingy bar feel with Rulloffs having more undergrads. Level B is a "dance club" but it's pretty sad. The Royal Palm is empty till 12 at which point it fills up. Other than those, there is a bar called Pixel that I don't personally like and there are more bars down in the commons that I don't know much about.

Also Dunbars has $3 long islands on thursdays but it's usually packed with undergrads.

I personally don't consider Chapter House in Collegetown (it is down 2 fairly steep hills), which is why undergrads rarely venture there. It is more common for grad students to live in that vicinity because they sign leases much later than undergrads (who typically sign in october or november). In close proximity to the law school the best options are:

Collegetown Bagels (CTB) - only alcohol served is beer and sangria
Rulloffs - is crowded with both grad and undergrad, but a lot of seating (upstairs and downstairs
Stellas - least likely to find underaged people after 9 when they begin blacklighting, they are by far the strictest on IDs in collegetown ("classiest" place in ctown
The Palms - quiet until 12, a mix of undergrad and grad, ample seating + outside patio for smoking

There are other bars in collegetown, but the above 4 are the "sit down and talk" places. Whereas Johny O's, Dino's, Level B, and Dunbars are saturated with underage undergrads. HTH!

southernsnapp

Postby southernsnapp » Wed Mar 16, 2011 3:08 pm

I'm kinda confused about housing. I've been looking online for a 1bdr apt and the only ones I can find are in what looks like houses. Do these apts have everything separate, or are you sharing things like a kitchen and laundry room? Are there any regular apartment complexes in Ithaca?

mths

Postby mths » Wed Mar 16, 2011 5:53 pm

nihilism is key wrote:
mths wrote:
PAR12 wrote:I'd be down to meet for drinks Thurs/Fri night.

By chance does anyone know a good bar in town?

In collegetown, Rulloffs and Chapter House have a nice dingy bar feel with Rulloffs having more undergrads. Level B is a "dance club" but it's pretty sad. The Royal Palm is empty till 12 at which point it fills up. Other than those, there is a bar called Pixel that I don't personally like and there are more bars down in the commons that I don't know much about.

Also Dunbars has $3 long islands on thursdays but it's usually packed with undergrads.

I personally don't consider Chapter House in Collegetown (it is down 2 fairly steep hills), which is why undergrads rarely venture there. It is more common for grad students to live in that vicinity because they sign leases much later than undergrads (who typically sign in october or november). In close proximity to the law school the best options are:

Collegetown Bagels (CTB) - only alcohol served is beer and sangria
Rulloffs - is crowded with both grad and undergrad, but a lot of seating (upstairs and downstairs
Stellas - least likely to find underaged people after 9 when they begin blacklighting, they are by far the strictest on IDs in collegetown ("classiest" place in ctown
The Palms - quiet until 12, a mix of undergrad and grad, ample seating + outside patio for smoking

There are other bars in collegetown, but the above 4 are the "sit down and talk" places. Whereas Johny O's, Dino's, Level B, and Dunbars are saturated with underage undergrads. HTH!

I'll disagree about chapter house...it's a 7-ish minute walk and a great choice for beer, pool, darts, popcorn, and no undergrads. Also, if you take the back way from the law school you only have to go down one hill and bypass collegetown altogether.

mths

Postby mths » Wed Mar 16, 2011 5:54 pm

southernsnapp wrote:I'm kinda confused about housing. I've been looking online for a 1bdr apt and the only ones I can find are in what looks like houses. Do these apts have everything separate, or are you sharing things like a kitchen and laundry room? Are there any regular apartment complexes in Ithaca?

collegetown plaza
collegetown center
312 collegetown
Eddy Gate

^ actual apartment complexes

Arbiter213

Postby Arbiter213 » Wed Mar 16, 2011 10:26 pm

mths wrote:
southernsnapp wrote:I'm kinda confused about housing. I've been looking online for a 1bdr apt and the only ones I can find are in what looks like houses. Do these apts have everything separate, or are you sharing things like a kitchen and laundry room? Are there any regular apartment complexes in Ithaca?

collegetown plaza
collegetown center
312 collegetown
Eddy Gate

On that note, are the houses nice? They seem MUCH more cost effective- I need a 1BR because I'll be sharing with my girlfriend and her puppy and a studio would be ridiculous. (Could be entirely moot, but curious).

nihilism is key

Postby nihilism is key » Wed Mar 16, 2011 10:30 pm

PAR12 wrote: Also, if you take the back way from the law school you only have to go down one hill and bypass collegetown altogether.

I never said its not a good place to meet, nor can I speak to its awesomeness or lack there of as I have never been (undergrad who doesn't venture there). All I said was that I, personally, don't consider it collegetown for the purpose of bar discussions because of its distance from college ave and all of the other bars. You seem to agree based on the fact that you mention a route that bypasses collegetown all together.

PinkCow

Postby PinkCow » Wed Mar 16, 2011 11:01 pm

Arbiter213 wrote:
mths wrote:

collegetown plaza
collegetown center
312 collegetown
Eddy Gate

On that note, are the houses nice? They seem MUCH more cost effective- I need a 1BR because I'll be sharing with my girlfriend and her puppy and a studio would be ridiculous. (Could be entirely moot, but curious).

Just got back from the ASW, but my wife and I stayed till Tuesday to look for housing. Pretty disappointing options, IMO, but not terrible. Here are my opinions:

Commuter apartments-

Solomon Management
I don't know what your situation is, but if you don't mind living ~2 miles away, there are Northwood, Warenwood, Gaslight, etc., that are all owned by the same management company and pretty much the run-of-the mill apartment complexes for post-grads.--LinkRemoved-- Prices are pretty average (~$1100 for a 2 br 1000 sq ft). Pretty nice inside, lots of room, some have fitness centers/pools. Grounds seem pretty well kept up, ample parking, management seems a little smoozy, but I guess that's to be expected. Probably where we'll live, maybe.

Cayuga View
--LinkRemoved--
These are income based properties, but we were actually pleased with how nice the units were, for the price. So, if you have a wife or gf or something and she is working and not making over 50k, it might be a good choice. I think a 2 br with a decent kitchen (DW, W/D, etc.) was about $900/mo. Again, a couple miles away. Smoking is allowed because it's partially federally funded, so that was pretty much a deal-breaker for us.

In-town

Houses
All the houses we checked out we're definitely rentals, as in, clearly lived in by nonchalant college students - not that well kept up on the outside or inside, pretty spidery, old appliances, creaky floors (should be considered especially if you have 1 or more renters above you). Rates vary greatly depending on the apartment size in the house, of course. I was not impressed with any of the ones we viewed. Pro of course is you get some funky old house charm. Con is you're in a funky old house. Off-street parking usually included. Also, sometimes when you rent from a house you're dealing with 1 single landlord, which, to me, can be a great thing. You can get to know the person before you sign the lease as opposed to getting squashed by some massive housing conglomerate (see Solomon above).

Apartments
There are a few larger apartment complexes downtown Ithaca.
Center Ithaca- Right in the middle of the commons, usually unfurnished, somewhat reasonable(~900 for 1br). http://centerithaca.com/component/content/article/25.html
Gateway Commons - I don't know who the heck can afford these, but if that's you, brah, have fun (~1600+ for 1br!!) http://www.gatewayithaca.com/index.htm
Collegetown Plaza, and others - Typically furnished, seems like a lot of undergrads live in these places... http://www.ithacarenting.com/

Hope this helps someone. Again, we aren't too in love with our options, but we're also kind of picky when it comes to housing. Pretty much any place that was furnished (most of the collegtown apartments) wasn't an option for us, so we didn't even look.

Good luck!

Horchata

Postby Horchata » Thu Mar 17, 2011 3:11 am

See you all on April 8th! Stoked...

PAR12

Postby PAR12 » Thu Mar 17, 2011 2:03 pm

PinkCow wrote:
Arbiter213 wrote:
mths wrote:

collegetown plaza
collegetown center
312 collegetown
Eddy Gate

Just got back from the ASW, but my wife and I stayed till Tuesday to look for housing. Pretty disappointing options, IMO, but not terrible. Here are my opinions:

Commuter apartments-

Solomon Management
I don't know what your situation is, but if you don't mind living ~2 miles away, there are Northwood, Warenwood, Gaslight, etc., that are all owned by the same management company and pretty much the run-of-the mill apartment complexes for post-grads.--LinkRemoved-- Prices are pretty average (~$1100 for a 2 br 1000 sq ft). Pretty nice inside, lots of room, some have fitness centers/pools. Grounds seem pretty well kept up, ample parking, management seems a little smoozy, but I guess that's to be expected. Probably where we'll live, maybe.

Cayuga View
--LinkRemoved--
These are income based properties, but we were actually pleased with how nice the units were, for the price. So, if you have a wife or gf or something and she is working and not making over 50k, it might be a good choice. I think a 2 br with a decent kitchen (DW, W/D, etc.) was about $900/mo. Again, a couple miles away. Smoking is allowed because it's partially federally funded, so that was pretty much a deal-breaker for us.

In-town

Houses
All the houses we checked out we're definitely rentals, as in, clearly lived in by nonchalant college students - not that well kept up on the outside or inside, pretty spidery, old appliances, creaky floors (should be considered especially if you have 1 or more renters above you). Rates vary greatly depending on the apartment size in the house, of course. I was not impressed with any of the ones we viewed. Pro of course is you get some funky old house charm. Con is you're in a funky old house. Off-street parking usually included. Also, sometimes when you rent from a house you're dealing with 1 single landlord, which, to me, can be a great thing. You can get to know the person before you sign the lease as opposed to getting squashed by some massive housing conglomerate (see Solomon above).

Apartments
There are a few larger apartment complexes downtown Ithaca.
Center Ithaca- Right in the middle of the commons, usually unfurnished, somewhat reasonable(~900 for 1br). http://centerithaca.com/component/content/article/25.html
Gateway Commons - I don't know who the heck can afford these, but if that's you, brah, have fun (~1600+ for 1br!!) http://www.gatewayithaca.com/index.htm
Collegetown Plaza, and others - Typically furnished, seems like a lot of undergrads live in these places... http://www.ithacarenting.com/

Hope this helps someone. Again, we aren't too in love with our options, but we're also kind of picky when it comes to housing. Pretty much any place that was furnished (most of the collegtown apartments) wasn't an option for us, so we didn't even look.

Good luck!

Thank you for the insight

southernsnapp

Postby southernsnapp » Thu Mar 17, 2011 6:32 pm

Thanks ya’ll!

Lol @ the person who said “reasonable” prices of 900 for a 1 bdr, i live in NC and 1 bdr apts near my school are about 500-700, 900 if you want 11 ft ceilings, crown moldings, imported carpets, and a gourmet kitchen! I don’t want a roommate, so I guess I’ll deal with it. Which part of the city would be a good place to live?

Arbiter213

Postby Arbiter213 » Fri Mar 18, 2011 5:43 pm

southernsnapp wrote:Thanks ya’ll!

Lol @ the person who said “reasonable” prices of 900 for a 1 bdr, i live in NC and 1 bdr apts near my school are about 500-700, 900 if you want 11 ft ceilings, crown moldings, imported carpets, and a gourmet kitchen! I don’t want a roommate, so I guess I’ll deal with it. Which part of the city would be a good place to live?

You could get a studio...

PinkCow

Postby PinkCow » Fri Mar 18, 2011 6:01 pm

Has anyone heard from Financial Aid yet????? (Anyone who didn't apply for the super merit scholarships)

I called on Monday and they were really nice and said they'd get it to me soon, but to call on Friday if I hadn't heard anything. So, I called today at like 1:00 EST and some older lady kind of snapped at me and said pretty much "we'll get to it when we get to it".

This wouldn't be that much of an issue if I didn't have a lot of potential landlords on the line :?

anti-phronimos

Postby anti-phronimos » Fri Mar 18, 2011 6:26 pm

I didn't think we'd hear back until the end of march/early April. Their feedback is the only thing I have left to consider, so I'm pretty anxious to get a decision.

ugh, deadlines, deposits, landlords...they're all coming up soon.

Arbiter213

Postby Arbiter213 » Fri Mar 18, 2011 10:51 pm

PinkCow wrote:Has anyone heard from Financial Aid yet????? (Anyone who didn't apply for the super merit scholarships)

I called on Monday and they were really nice and said they'd get it to me soon, but to call on Friday if I hadn't heard anything. So, I called today at like 1:00 EST and some older lady kind of snapped at me and said pretty much "we'll get to it when we get to it".

This wouldn't be that much of an issue if I didn't have a lot of potential landlords on the line :?

I met with Patina today and she told me to call wed (sounds like the same deal) if I hadn't heard yet. I would try calling again Monday and ask to speak with her before asking (assuming she's the one you met with). She said they're rapidly rolling out fin. aid decisions now.

Other25BeforeYou

Postby Other25BeforeYou » Sun Mar 20, 2011 9:28 am

It's only $900+ if you want to live right in collegetown. If you want to live downtown and take the bus in you can find stuff for around $700 (studios for $600), if you want to live off of West Campus or North Campus (which are a roughly 15 minute walk to the law school) you can get stuff around $800. If you want to live outside of Ithaca and drive in, you can find stuff for $600.

southernsnapp

Postby southernsnapp » Sun Mar 20, 2011 10:02 am

Other25BeforeYou wrote:

It's only $900+ if you want to live right in collegetown. If you want to live downtown and take the bus in you can find stuff for around $700 (studios for $600), if you want to live off of West Campus or North Campus (which are a roughly 15 minute walk to the law school) you can get stuff around $800. If you want to live outside of Ithaca and drive in, you can find stuff for $600.

Thanks, I thought about these options but I’m wondering if they’re a good idea when it snows. I live in NC (we don’t function at all in snow) so I think for the first year I may need to be on or very near campus. I’ll see what the grad student apartments are like when I visit.

japes

Postby japes » Sun Mar 20, 2011 1:40 pm

Any TLSers want to split a hotel Thurs/Fri for the April 8 ASW? Shoot me a PM.

anti-phronimos

Postby anti-phronimos » Mon Mar 21, 2011 1:55 pm

Just got my Cornell financial aid letter: 90k.

:shock:

japes

Postby japes » Mon Mar 21, 2011 2:17 pm

anti-phronimos wrote:Just got my Cornell financial aid letter: 90k.

also, how'd you get notified?

PinkCow

Postby PinkCow » Mon Mar 21, 2011 2:30 pm

anti-phronimos wrote:Just got my Cornell financial aid letter: 90k.

Holy eff. Congrats. I too would like to know how you got notified. I pray it's not by mail. Today I found my admissions packet from WUSTL sitting on top of our neighborhood post office box soaked in the rain. I swear the mailman is completely incompetent. Completely.

anti-phronimos

Postby anti-phronimos » Mon Mar 21, 2011 2:48 pm

I called and they emailed it to me. Whoever picked up the phone was great--I feel bad that I've probably started a flood of calls to her desk :D

tipler4213

Postby tipler4213 » Mon Mar 21, 2011 2:52 pm

anti-phronimos wrote:I called and they emailed it to me. Whoever picked up the phone was great--I feel bad that I've probably started a flood of calls to her desk :D

Congrats! When did you submit the form?

anti-phronimos

Postby anti-phronimos » Mon Mar 21, 2011 3:45 pm

I'm pretty sure my financial information arrived on the day before the deadline.

tipler4213

Postby tipler4213 » Mon Mar 21, 2011 3:49 pm

anti-phronimos wrote:I'm pretty sure my financial information arrived on the day before the deadline.

Thanks! So you just cold called or did you have a reason to believe your package was ready?

anti-phronimos

Postby anti-phronimos » Mon Mar 21, 2011 3:54 pm

Arbiter213 wrote:
PinkCow wrote:Has anyone heard from Financial Aid yet????? (Anyone who didn't apply for the super merit scholarships)

I met with Patina today and she told me to call wed (sounds like the same deal) if I hadn't heard yet. I would try calling again Monday and ask to speak with her before asking (assuming she's the one you met with). She said they're rapidly rolling out fin. aid decisions now.

I saw this^^ and decided I'd give it a shot today--I had no idea my file was ready.

Return to “TLS Class of 2014 Forum”