University of San Diego 2014 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2014)
smittelman6

Bronze

University of San Diego 2014

Post by smittelman6 » Sat Feb 12, 2011 2:33 pm

Made my decision today, planning on sending in my deposit next week... hopefully there are some others in the same boat this early as well!

sully

New

Re: University of San Diego 2014

Post by sully » Fri Feb 25, 2011 2:15 pm

I'm about 90% am I allowed to be in here?

smittelman6

Bronze

Post by smittelman6 » Fri Feb 25, 2011 2:39 pm

well it's just me right now so.... sure! :lol: what are the other schools you're choosing between? I'm still 1% waiting to hear from LLS, although i doubt i'd be able to stand LA for three years.

sully

New

Post by sully » Fri Feb 25, 2011 3:11 pm

I'm wait listed at UCLA and waiting for scholarship info from Colorado. But I don't like LA either or cold weather....haha. Have you visited USD? I was there earlier this week.

smittelman6

Bronze

Post by smittelman6 » Sat Feb 26, 2011 4:34 am

cold weather = slow, painful deathhh

it's bad-- i cannot wait to get to SD. as for LA, it's fun i'm sure but i've been in nyc for a year and effing hate it, i doubt LA is any better, if not worse.

Never had a chance to visit, how did you like the campus?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

sully

New

Post by sully » Mon Feb 28, 2011 1:27 pm

Overall, I was impressed with the campus. I'll start with the downside, in my opinion, the interior of the facilities (i.e. classrooms and library) is a little out-dated. However, this seems to be the rule, not the exception among law schools, and it was certainly not the worst I've seen (i.e. Pepperdine). Otherwise, the exterior is beautiful and the location is unbeatable. It's also nice to be a part of a larger campus which gives you the option of using the rec center, and the student life pavilion, which by the way, has the feel of a 5-star resort inside and looks like an awesome place to grab food/coffee. I am also happy to report that there is a beer cart immediately outside the law school building, and an on-campus pub (although I was only informed of the pub, I didn't actually see it).

smittelman6

Bronze

Post by smittelman6 » Mon Feb 28, 2011 6:34 pm

sully wrote:I am also happy to report that there is a beer cart immediately outside the law school building, and an on-campus pub (although I was only informed of the pub, I didn't actually see it).
i guess i can stop considering loyola now...

caligulove

New

Post by caligulove » Mon Mar 07, 2011 2:20 pm

count me in!

caligulove

New

Post by caligulove » Mon Mar 07, 2011 4:41 pm

anyone know if normal heights is a good place to live?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

smittelman6

Bronze

Post by smittelman6 » Mon Mar 07, 2011 6:22 pm

i've been talking to a lot of 2Ls and 3Ls who have said that most students either live in the area right around campus, ocean beach, mission beach/bay/valley, or pacific beach. are you from the area? i'm from ny so i also really have no idea what any of these places are like at all and how to choose between them.

also, have either of you sent in your deposit yet? i was waiting for my financial aid stuff just to be safe, but if they have a rommate post/online board or something for deposited students i would want to be a part of it and would send in my deposit asap...

sully

New

Post by sully » Tue Mar 08, 2011 3:16 pm

I still haven't made up my mind yet. I'm going to wait until after ASD.

smittelman6

Bronze

Post by smittelman6 » Tue Mar 08, 2011 6:31 pm

sully wrote:I still haven't made up my mind yet. I'm going to wait until after ASD.
can you do a quick rundown when you get back? i won't be able to go but would really like a 0L opinion about the campus/ASD/everything...

sully

New

Post by sully » Tue Mar 08, 2011 8:27 pm

can you do a quick rundown when you get back? i won't be able to go but would really like a 0L opinion about the campus/ASD/everything...
Definitely.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

homerless

New

Post by homerless » Tue Mar 08, 2011 10:59 pm

Applied and waiting...

lmrcl041

New

Post by lmrcl041 » Thu Mar 10, 2011 2:24 pm

caligulove wrote:anyone know if normal heights is a good place to live?
Normal Heights isnt a *great* area.. if you are looking for rent that is a little less expensive than Pacific Beach etc. I would look in the North Park/Mission Hills area. They have a pretty cool neighborhood and rent is more affordable. Ocean Beach rent will be lower than PB also.. they have a great farmers market but other than that I dont know too much about the area. A lot of SDSU students live in Mission Valley or College Area so I think rent should be fairly good there too... but there are a lot of undergrad San Diego State students running around... :)

I grew up here (and live here now) so if you have any questions.. feel free to ask!

smittelman6

Bronze

Post by smittelman6 » Thu Mar 10, 2011 2:30 pm

lmrcl041 wrote:
Normal Heights isnt a *great* area.. if you are looking for rent that is a little less expensive than Pacific Beach etc. I would look in the North Park/Mission Hills area. They have a pretty cool neighborhood and rent is more affordable. Ocean Beach rent will be lower than PB also.. they have a great farmers market but other than that I dont know too much about the area. A lot of SDSU students live in Mission Valley or College Area so I think rent should be fairly good there too... but there are a lot of undergrad San Diego State students running around... :)

I grew up here (and live here now) so if you have any questions.. feel free to ask!
are you planning to attend? i'm not sure i could pass up cornell if i were you...

lmrcl041

New

Post by lmrcl041 » Fri Mar 11, 2011 1:08 pm

smittelman6 wrote:
lmrcl041 wrote:

are you planning to attend? i'm not sure i could pass up cornell if i were you...
I'm not sure if I can pass up Cornell either.. My whole family/boyfriend are here in SD, I never planned on leaving so it would be hard..we'll see after the ASW.. :)

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

caligulove

New

Post by caligulove » Sat Mar 12, 2011 4:07 am

so no go on normal heights... reason I ask is because they seem to have some cool folk festivals and I kind of got the vibe that it was that kind of place. I'm really just looking for a laid back spot to live near people my age (22). I'm not into the crazy night club scene but like something more mellow, but not asleep. Not sure if I'm describing anywhere in San Diego or anyone that will be in my class but any advice you might have along those lines would be much appreciated.

smittelman6

Bronze

Post by smittelman6 » Sun Mar 13, 2011 10:19 pm

caligulove wrote:so no go on normal heights... reason I ask is because they seem to have some cool folk festivals and I kind of got the vibe that it was that kind of place. I'm really just looking for a laid back spot to live near people my age (22). I'm not into the crazy night club scene but like something more mellow, but not asleep. Not sure if I'm describing anywhere in San Diego or anyone that will be in my class but any advice you might have along those lines would be much appreciated.
i'm also looking for a similar vibe, all i've gathered is that Pacific Beach is a no-go unless you want constant partying and tons of undergrads. the search continues. mission beach looks nice but maybe somewhat expensive?

i'm hoping that they'll put up the roommate message board for incoming students soon (one of the deans told me they usually do this around late april early may), and i can find someone who's from the area who wants to find a place together lol... i think i'd trust them the most.

aliasdancer

New

Post by aliasdancer » Wed Mar 16, 2011 12:15 pm

smittelman6 wrote:
caligulove wrote:so no go on normal heights... reason I ask is because they seem to have some cool folk festivals and I kind of got the vibe that it was that kind of place. I'm really just looking for a laid back spot to live near people my age (22). I'm not into the crazy night club scene but like something more mellow, but not asleep. Not sure if I'm describing anywhere in San Diego or anyone that will be in my class but any advice you might have along those lines would be much appreciated.
i'm also looking for a similar vibe, all i've gathered is that Pacific Beach is a no-go unless you want constant partying and tons of undergrads. the search continues. mission beach looks nice but maybe somewhat expensive?

i'm hoping that they'll put up the roommate message board for incoming students soon (one of the deans told me they usually do this around late april early may), and i can find someone who's from the area who wants to find a place together lol... i think i'd trust them the most.
I would suggest looking in to Hillcrest, North Park, South Park, or Bankers Hill. These areas kind of bleed into each other and they have decent rent prices for a good area. Lots of restaurants and bars with a young vibe (Bankers Hill probably less so), good location within San Diego, etc. If you can find a good price in Little Italy that would also be a great place to live.

aliasdancer

New

Post by aliasdancer » Wed Mar 23, 2011 12:00 am

In other news, who is going to the admitted student day this Friday??

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

motionseditor

New

Post by motionseditor » Wed Mar 23, 2011 7:34 pm

Hey, Prospective Students,

You might be interested in checking out the official student newspaper of USD Law (Motions), which has both print and online versions. Here's the link to the online version: http://www.motionsonline.org.

Our latest issue came out today, and next issue we will be analyzing the latest USNWR Rankings and announcing the new Dean (among other information and entertainment).

Hope to see you next year!

http://www.motionsonline.org

caligulove

New

Post by caligulove » Fri Apr 01, 2011 1:57 pm

having successfully negotiated an increase in my scholarship award I am now 100% in. Anyone looking for a roommate? :D

smittelman6

Bronze

Post by smittelman6 » Sat Apr 02, 2011 3:16 am

caligulove wrote:having successfully negotiated an increase in my scholarship award I am now 100% in. Anyone looking for a roommate? :D
may we ask from what to what? or PM? also i think the roommate board should be up once you send in your deposit!! :)

wonderfilled

New

Post by wonderfilled » Sat Apr 02, 2011 11:30 pm

smittelman6 wrote:

I'm an undergrad at USD and currently live in Mission Beach... It's almost entirely undergrads. I would definitely recommend against it for law school. The parts of PB that are further from the beach have less of the partying and undergrads, and Mission Valley has a lot of young grad students/professionals. Ocean Beach has a very cool, laid back, beachy vibe, with more of a bar scene than a party scene. They have a lot of bums, but they're all nice and not hard to deal with if you're ok with that kind of thing. Personally, I'd live in Mission Valley.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2014 Forum”