Loyola Law School Class of 2014

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2014)
User avatar
samfii
Posts: 190
Joined: Thu Nov 04, 2010 2:09 pm

Loyola Law School Class of 2014

Postby samfii » Sat Jan 15, 2011 3:01 pm

I'm %99.9 sure I'll be here in the fall! Who else is with me?! :D :D :D
So excited!!!

User avatar
Judge Philip Banks
Posts: 449
Joined: Fri Aug 13, 2010 4:21 pm

Re: Loyola Law School Class of 2014

Postby Judge Philip Banks » Sat Jan 15, 2011 8:43 pm

samfii wrote:I'm %99.9 sure I'll be here in the fall! Who else is with me?! :D :D :D
So excited!!!

I'm right there with you - super excited! I did ED, so I will for sure be there in the fall!

edit - thanks for creating this thread by the way! Feel like its long due.

User avatar
samfii
Posts: 190
Joined: Thu Nov 04, 2010 2:09 pm

Re: Loyola Law School Class of 2014

Postby samfii » Sat Jan 15, 2011 9:22 pm

Judge Philip Banks wrote:
samfii wrote:I'm %99.9 sure I'll be here in the fall! Who else is with me?! :D :D :D
So excited!!!

I'm right there with you - super excited! I did ED, so I will for sure be there in the fall!

edit - thanks for creating this thread by the way! Feel like its long due.


Yay!! Nice to meet you (kind of).. I'm excited to meet all my future classmates! I was surprised that there wasn't a thread for it already, I feel kind of special for having started it :P haha
hopefully we'll be getting more people on here pretty soon! good luck to everyone waiting on their decisions.

User avatar
gothamm
Posts: 506
Joined: Sat Dec 11, 2010 12:10 am

Re: Loyola Law School Class of 2014

Postby gothamm » Sun Jan 16, 2011 10:09 pm

just applied yesterday. I hope to visit this thread more often. Its between loyola and pepperdine :)

User avatar
Judge Philip Banks
Posts: 449
Joined: Fri Aug 13, 2010 4:21 pm

Re: Loyola Law School Class of 2014

Postby Judge Philip Banks » Sun Jan 16, 2011 11:23 pm

gothamm wrote:just applied yesterday. I hope to visit this thread more often. Its between loyola and pepperdine :)

Awesome - good luck! What would make you decide on one or the other? Are you favoring one over the other?

User avatar
gothamm
Posts: 506
Joined: Sat Dec 11, 2010 12:10 am

Re: Loyola Law School Class of 2014

Postby gothamm » Mon Jan 17, 2011 8:30 am

Hey jpb! I remember you posting in my "what are my chances?" thread. Thanks for all the advice in that thread, btw.


Initially, Pepperdine was my top choice, but after some research i learned that they don't fare as well in Los Angeles as Loyola. From what I have gathered:

-Better job prospects (especially if wanting to practice in la) = Loyola
-Better chance of scholly = loyola
-More law firms at OCI = Loyola
-Better Alumni base = Loyola
-Friends who already attend the school, and are 1L's currently = Loyola
- Closer to home, where i can actually consider commuting without moving out = Loyola
- Better scenic views = pepperdine
- higher ranking = pepperdine
- if interested in dispute resolution = pepperdine

thats all that i can think of, off the top of my head. Furthermore, I can't start counting my chickens before the eggs hatch...I don't even know if i'll get accepted yet :o

User avatar
Judge Philip Banks
Posts: 449
Joined: Fri Aug 13, 2010 4:21 pm

Re: Loyola Law School Class of 2014

Postby Judge Philip Banks » Mon Jan 17, 2011 1:27 pm

gothamm wrote:Hey jpb! I remember you posting in my "what are my chances?" thread. Thanks for all the advice in that thread, btw.


Initially, Pepperdine was my top choice, but after some research i learned that they don't fare as well in Los Angeles as Loyola. From what I have gathered:

-Better job prospects (especially if wanting to practice in la) = Loyola
-Better chance of scholly = loyola
-More law firms at OCI = Loyola
-Better Alumni base = Loyola
-Friends who already attend the school, and are 1L's currently = Loyola
- Closer to home, where i can actually consider commuting without moving out = Loyola
- Better scenic views = pepperdine
- higher ranking = pepperdine
- if interested in dispute resolution = pepperdine

thats all that i can think of, off the top of my head. Furthermore, I can't start counting my chickens before the eggs hatch...I don't even know if i'll get accepted yet :o

Looks like you did a fair bit of research! I think in the end, both are pretty comparable in LA. But it is true that more firms attend Loyola OCI than Pepperdine (not that one should count on OCI for a job or anything...). I have friends attending both schools currently, and also know a lot of people that went to both in the recent past, and while they all like their respective schools a lot, it seems that the LLS people more enthusiastically praise/recommend their school. I think that says a lot. Plus, commuting to LLS seems like it would be way easier from anywhere in LA, because there are so many ways to get to and from there, whereas Pepperdine really has only one way in/out.

Anyway, I'm pretty excited for Loyola, if you couldn't already tell... ; ) Hope you get some good news sometime soon and the 2014 class grows some more!

User avatar
gothamm
Posts: 506
Joined: Sat Dec 11, 2010 12:10 am

Re: Loyola Law School Class of 2014

Postby gothamm » Tue Jan 18, 2011 12:09 am

Wow, it seems like you have done your research as well. I would honestly be super stoked at the prospect of going to either. We should definitely be in contact if I am destined for loyola :)

User avatar
Judge Philip Banks
Posts: 449
Joined: Fri Aug 13, 2010 4:21 pm

Re: Loyola Law School Class of 2014

Postby Judge Philip Banks » Tue Jan 18, 2011 11:23 am

Yeah, either would be pretty sweet! Keep us all updated on your cycle - especially Loyola! PM me if you ever want, too.

EricaIsabel
Posts: 3
Joined: Fri Apr 09, 2010 2:54 pm

Re: Loyola Law School Class of 2014

Postby EricaIsabel » Tue Jan 18, 2011 4:42 pm

I'll be there in fall! :-)

User avatar
Judge Philip Banks
Posts: 449
Joined: Fri Aug 13, 2010 4:21 pm

Re: Loyola Law School Class of 2014

Postby Judge Philip Banks » Wed Jan 19, 2011 3:47 am

EricaIsabel wrote:I'll be there in fall! :-)

Congrats! Excited?! :D haha. Did you apply ED? If not, what made you decide so early on that Loyola is where you're going in the fall?

EricaIsabel
Posts: 3
Joined: Fri Apr 09, 2010 2:54 pm

Re: Loyola Law School Class of 2014

Postby EricaIsabel » Wed Jan 19, 2011 3:48 pm

Judge Philip Banks wrote:
EricaIsabel wrote:I'll be there in fall! :-)

Congrats! Excited?! :D haha. Did you apply ED? If not, what made you decide so early on that Loyola is where you're going in the fall?



yes yes! verrrry excited! I applied ED

User avatar
Judge Philip Banks
Posts: 449
Joined: Fri Aug 13, 2010 4:21 pm

Re: Loyola Law School Class of 2014

Postby Judge Philip Banks » Thu Jan 20, 2011 4:16 pm

EricaIsabel wrote:yes yes! verrrry excited! I applied ED

I applied ED, too. :D I wonder how many more people are out there that got in through ED program, or are already set on Loyola...

tlc
Posts: 32
Joined: Fri May 29, 2009 4:01 pm

Re: Loyola Law School Class of 2014

Postby tlc » Sat Jan 22, 2011 6:19 pm

I'm not even sure if I'm going to attend law school in the Fall. But, if I do, Loyola will be my first choice since I got a decent scholarship. We'll see.. Maybe I'll see you guys at some of the on-campus events/mixers?

Which ones are you guys planning on attending?

User avatar
gothamm
Posts: 506
Joined: Sat Dec 11, 2010 12:10 am

Re: Loyola Law School Class of 2014

Postby gothamm » Sun Jan 23, 2011 12:05 am

just submitted my application on the 17th. My file is incomplete. They have received everything but my academic probation disclosure...i see a little note at the bottom of the status page saying that disclosures will not be acknowledged until a admissions receives a hard copy.

so i am guessing that it is normal for the file to be incomplete for the first couple of weeks on the status checker correct?

User avatar
Judge Philip Banks
Posts: 449
Joined: Fri Aug 13, 2010 4:21 pm

Re: Loyola Law School Class of 2014

Postby Judge Philip Banks » Sun Jan 23, 2011 12:35 am

gothamm wrote:just submitted my application on the 17th. My file is incomplete. They have received everything but my academic probation disclosure...i see a little note at the bottom of the status page saying that disclosures will not be acknowledged until a admissions receives a hard copy.

so i am guessing that it is normal for the file to be incomplete for the first couple of weeks on the status checker correct?

FWIW, this was true for me. I had two addendums to my app: one for the LSAT (big score increase) and one for disclosures (academic prob). After I submitted, it took about 2 weeks-ish for it to change to "complete and ready for review", after which it only changed to "decision rendered," or something to that effect, one month after I submitted. They wait until they receive the hard paper copies of everything from LSAC plus processing time to consider one "complete." Granted, my experience was back in November and I applied ED, but I guess it should more or less apply now, too.

User avatar
gothamm
Posts: 506
Joined: Sat Dec 11, 2010 12:10 am

Re: Loyola Law School Class of 2014

Postby gothamm » Sun Jan 23, 2011 1:31 am

Judge Philip Banks wrote:
gothamm wrote:just submitted my application on the 17th. My file is incomplete. They have received everything but my academic probation disclosure...i see a little note at the bottom of the status page saying that disclosures will not be acknowledged until a admissions receives a hard copy.

so i am guessing that it is normal for the file to be incomplete for the first couple of weeks on the status checker correct?

FWIW, this was true for me. I had two addendums to my app: one for the LSAT (big score increase) and one for disclosures (academic prob). After I submitted, it took about 2 weeks-ish for it to change to "complete and ready for review", after which it only changed to "decision rendered," or something to that effect, one month after I submitted. They wait until they receive the hard paper copies of everything from LSAC plus processing time to consider one "complete." Granted, my experience was back in November and I applied ED, but I guess it should more or less apply now, too.


thanks. I am thinking this is normal, because pepperdine has the same policy, as i am incomplete there too. Baylor just went complete in less than 5 days :shock:

I was invited to a loyola chat session on the 25th so i will just confirm it with the adcomms then :)

User avatar
Judge Philip Banks
Posts: 449
Joined: Fri Aug 13, 2010 4:21 pm

Re: Loyola Law School Class of 2014

Postby Judge Philip Banks » Sun Jan 23, 2011 3:18 am

gothamm wrote:
Judge Philip Banks wrote:
gothamm wrote:just submitted my application on the 17th. My file is incomplete. They have received everything but my academic probation disclosure...i see a little note at the bottom of the status page saying that disclosures will not be acknowledged until a admissions receives a hard copy.

so i am guessing that it is normal for the file to be incomplete for the first couple of weeks on the status checker correct?

FWIW, this was true for me. I had two addendums to my app: one for the LSAT (big score increase) and one for disclosures (academic prob). After I submitted, it took about 2 weeks-ish for it to change to "complete and ready for review", after which it only changed to "decision rendered," or something to that effect, one month after I submitted. They wait until they receive the hard paper copies of everything from LSAC plus processing time to consider one "complete." Granted, my experience was back in November and I applied ED, but I guess it should more or less apply now, too.


thanks. I am thinking this is normal, because pepperdine has the same policy, as i am incomplete there too. Baylor just went complete in less than 5 days :shock:

I was invited to a loyola chat session on the 25th so i will just confirm it with the adcomms then :)

Yeah, if I were you, I would just ask in the chat. Or, call them. I remember I called them twice about app stuff after I had submitted (mistakes that I was worried about that ended up not mattering), and they were very friendly and helpful. Another option is to email them, too. Any of those options would be fine, I think. Although, I think in your situation, since you just submitted this past week, I wouldn't worry (it is rather soon - i.e. your hard paper copies from LSAC have not been processed by LLS yet). If after the end of next week (don't wait until then to ask - you'll miss out on asking during the informational chat...) your status doesn't change to "complete and ready for review," then I would start to wonder what was up, and then might email or call admissions.

I didn't know Pepperdine had the same policy. But, you'd be surprised how fast some schools process the stuff. Some only go by the electronic versions of the app materials which are transmitted the business day after you submit (I think...). I guess Baylor is in that category or something similar most likely.

User avatar
gothamm
Posts: 506
Joined: Sat Dec 11, 2010 12:10 am

Re: Loyola Law School Class of 2014

Postby gothamm » Tue Jan 25, 2011 3:12 am

thanks jpb. Your comments are assuring.



FWIW, i just made the trip to Loyola just to see how the drive would be. Driving from the Norwalk area. It took me 25 mins on a sunday minimal/modest traffic. Not too bad at all. But boy is it in a ghetto area!


Also, I am surprised that there isn't a single mention of how loyola is situated RIGHT BEHIND the Staples Center.

User avatar
Judge Philip Banks
Posts: 449
Joined: Fri Aug 13, 2010 4:21 pm

Re: Loyola Law School Class of 2014

Postby Judge Philip Banks » Tue Jan 25, 2011 3:26 am

25 minutes is not bad at all. Not sure what freeways you take to and from Norwalk, but I'd guess it would be worse during weekday rush hour traffic (you probably wouldn't always be driving during those worst times, though). It is definitely doable. Would you consider doing the commute during school?

Is it really THAT ghetto? haha
I know it looks bad in some areas, but it can't be that bad, right...? There's plenty of "upscale" downtown stuff nearby, and LA Live and Staples are right there, as you mention. Not like I'm going to be strolling the neighborhood (aka hood...) at night or anything, anyway. I'd feel fine doing so during the day though, fwiw. The campus has pretty tight security from what I can tell and from what I've heard (parking garage included).

User avatar
gothamm
Posts: 506
Joined: Sat Dec 11, 2010 12:10 am

Re: Loyola Law School Class of 2014

Postby gothamm » Tue Jan 25, 2011 3:36 am

yes you are right, it isn't that ghetto. Downtown is such a funny area and has a bizarre mix of the ridiculously upscale (Ritz Carlton upscale enough?), but then right across the street you have the worst of the worst. Security is indeed tight and the campus is gated. There' no real issue of safety. I was just commenting on the ghettoness of the area. :o


I don't think i would mind the commute. as long as its less than 1 hour during rush hour, i think i can manage. i will be taking the 105 to the 110. will you be living close to campus?

User avatar
Judge Philip Banks
Posts: 449
Joined: Fri Aug 13, 2010 4:21 pm

Re: Loyola Law School Class of 2014

Postby Judge Philip Banks » Tue Jan 25, 2011 4:13 pm

Yeah, I'm going to try to live somewhere in West LA, which shouldn't be too bad of a drive into downtown. It's definitely a lot better than commuting from where I'm at now, which takes almost 2 hours in bad traffic (the 5 to the 110).

tlc
Posts: 32
Joined: Fri May 29, 2009 4:01 pm

Re: Loyola Law School Class of 2014

Postby tlc » Wed Jan 26, 2011 11:59 pm

I live in Glendale, and the commute should only be 35 minutes in rush hour traffic, if you know the right exits and side streets to take. It is definitely doable, but as far as a law student commuter not running into traffic, my experience tells me that one would definitely hit the rush hour snail race. Coming into Downtown, there's usually traffic anywhere from 7:30 - 10:00AM. But, it typically isn't too heavy, and they usually come in waves (the people that start at 8:00 AM, 9:00 AM, etc..) But this is just my experience heading southbound on the 5. I would assume the same applies coming North on the 110 or in from the 10 freeways.

But, definitely doable!

User avatar
gothamm
Posts: 506
Joined: Sat Dec 11, 2010 12:10 am

Re: Loyola Law School Class of 2014

Postby gothamm » Fri Jan 28, 2011 3:22 am

File finally went complete today. Phew...all there is to do now is relax and pray to god that I get accepted :o

User avatar
smittelman6
Posts: 168
Joined: Thu Jan 13, 2011 12:08 am

Re: Loyola Law School Class of 2014

Postby smittelman6 » Tue Feb 01, 2011 2:44 pm

Hi all! I'm complete, sitting tight and keeping my fingers crossed :)

My top two choices right now are Loyola and USD-- I really want to do juvenile or family law. Money will most likely end up being a huge factor for me... for anyone who has started browsing apartments in the area (non-ghetto preferably), do you think it's out of control?

It seems like, from what I've heard, kids in SD are paying between 650-900 a month for a very decent apartment in a nice area, some with amenities (gym pool etc). I know that's out of the question in LA, but should I be expecting to pay 1k a month? Or is it a little bit more reasonable... My biggest worry financially is COL...




Return to “TLS Class of 2014 Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest