NYU Class of 2014 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2014)
thecilent

Gold

Re: NYU Class of 2014

Post by thecilent » Wed Feb 02, 2011 6:29 pm

Can you just withdraw everywhere and come to nyu with me?? tyia.

cigrainger

Bronze

Post by cigrainger » Wed Feb 02, 2011 8:22 pm

TLSNYC wrote:
cigrainger wrote:
mst wrote:
cigrainger wrote:How much are you guys planning on paying for rent? What do you think is a reasonable upper limit so that you still have a decent amount left over from the room and board budget for food and whatnot?
I'm not aiming higher than 1700/1800 currently. Might change to lower figure after I do some more research. Right now (in UG) I live on about 700 a month after rent and basic utilities and even that's a struggle with my spending habits (roughly 23 dollars a day is not that hard to spend when you discount a 7 dollar lunch + 7 dollar dinner...which is typical for me), so I can imagine that I might have to reduce my rent to 1500ish to find a good balance. Of course I have a small grey area of parental fall-back support so I'm not too worried...if that comes to change you can bet your ass I'll be in the cheapest 2BR situation I can find. Another big factor for me is where I will spend 1L summer.
The loan budget, which is the max you can take out on federal loans, allows for about $2000/month... $1700 would leave you with $300/month after rent... seems tough. :shock:
Actually, they allocate 19839 for room and board, which over 9 months is roughly 2200 a month. That extra $200 a month is big!
If you don't get a 1L SA position (and about 99% of people don't), you only get $4500 your first summer from PILC summer funding. And then only if you get a qualifying job. ($19839 + $4500)/12 = $2028.25.

Non-Chalant1

Silver

Post by Non-Chalant1 » Wed Feb 02, 2011 9:38 pm

Thread looks dead. *Springs life into it* So if I were to go to NYU, I'd be going single? Does most everyone else have a SO? (Yup I'm bored and do not want to write this philosophy paper).

forward

Bronze

Post by forward » Wed Feb 02, 2011 9:43 pm

dulcatis wrote:Really adorable invitation to the ASWs in the mail :) includes a handy map of Manhattan for when I get lost.
Lawl. I'm sure this happens all the time. <3

mst

Silver

Post by mst » Thu Feb 03, 2011 8:58 am

cigrainger wrote:If you don't get a 1L SA position (and about 99% of people don't), you only get $4500 your first summer from PILC summer funding. And then only if you get a qualifying job. ($19839 + $4500)/12 = $2028.25.
That's assuming that you continue to live on the same budget between fall and summer... if you're going to spend 3 months in random metro area, nowhere... then rent & such becomes a lot more doable off 4500. There's absolutely no reason to spend 1500-2000 a month living in the center of NYC over the summer if you don't have an SA.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

law_monkey

Gold

Post by law_monkey » Thu Feb 03, 2011 3:19 pm

Non-Chalant1 wrote:Thread looks dead. *Springs life into it* So if I were to go to NYU, I'd be going single? Does most everyone else have a SO? (Yup I'm bored and do not want to write this philosophy paper).
I'm guessing there will be a lot of movement over to this thread now that the CLS axe is coming down. Just give it another couple days.

cigrainger

Bronze

Post by cigrainger » Thu Feb 03, 2011 9:36 pm

mst wrote:
cigrainger wrote:If you don't get a 1L SA position (and about 99% of people don't), you only get $4500 your first summer from PILC summer funding. And then only if you get a qualifying job. ($19839 + $4500)/12 = $2028.25.
That's assuming that you continue to live on the same budget between fall and summer... if you're going to spend 3 months in random metro area, nowhere... then rent & such becomes a lot more doable off 4500. There's absolutely no reason to spend 1500-2000 a month living in the center of NYC over the summer if you don't have an SA.
There absolutely is. Like if you're married and your wife has a job.

lawlaw2014

New

Post by lawlaw2014 » Thu Feb 03, 2011 11:26 pm

lawlaw2014 wrote:It was my understanding that admitted students need to submit a Dean's Certification from their UG (at least that's what I had heard in other threads). Does anyone know where I can find this form? I'm looking everywhere on the site and the ASW, and I can't find it.

Thanks!

Edit: is it part of the "College Questionnaire Form" I see on the checklist?
Anyone? :(
If it's not the CQF, then could you give me a link to the right form? Or am I mistaken to begin with? I haven't heard anything about it from NYU's end but my friends going elsewhere are doing ones for their schools and I thought NYU required it too.

Thanks thanks thanks, sorry to interrupt the living discussions!

mst

Silver

Post by mst » Fri Feb 04, 2011 9:08 am

cigrainger wrote:
mst wrote:
Good point. What I was getting at though was that the budget wasn't meant to cover those 3 months so it's kinda odd to assume people need to combine those budgets and average when in fact the usual thing seems to be "move home or wherever you can and get an internship". If you put yourself in a position where you need to use academic year money to fund your summer living expenses, that's no fun, but I'd still say it's weird to expect that most other people will be doing the same...

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

cigrainger

Bronze

Post by cigrainger » Fri Feb 04, 2011 1:44 pm

mst wrote:
cigrainger wrote:
mst wrote:
Good point. What I was getting at though was that the budget wasn't meant to cover those 3 months so it's kinda odd to assume people need to combine those budgets and average when in fact the usual thing seems to be "move home or wherever you can and get an internship". If you put yourself in a position where you need to use academic year money to fund your summer living expenses, that's no fun, but I'd still say it's weird to expect that most other people will be doing the same...
Plenty of people use NYU's connections and the connections they make throughout the year to do a 1L summer internship in NYC. Especially if they want to work in NYC after law school at... NYU. Plenty of people have significant others with ties to NYC. I don't think it's unreasonable or weird at all.

mst

Silver

Post by mst » Fri Feb 04, 2011 1:55 pm

cigrainger wrote: Plenty of people use NYU's connections and the connections they make throughout the year to do a 1L summer internship in NYC. Especially if they want to work in NYC after law school at... NYU. Plenty of people have significant others with ties to NYC. I don't think it's unreasonable or weird at all.
Guess I'm spending too much time around the t14 transplant crowd.

cigrainger

Bronze

Post by cigrainger » Fri Feb 04, 2011 2:00 pm

mst wrote:
cigrainger wrote: Plenty of people use NYU's connections and the connections they make throughout the year to do a 1L summer internship in NYC. Especially if they want to work in NYC after law school at... NYU. Plenty of people have significant others with ties to NYC. I don't think it's unreasonable or weird at all.
Guess I'm spending too much time around the t14 transplant crowd.
I think you're right that most people are not going to spend their 1L summers in NYC, but I think there are a lot of good opportunities there that will also draw people who aren't otherwise strapped to the city. I think you definitely need to at least take your summer spending into consideration. $4500 should be fine most places, but its still only $1500/month for rent, food, etc.

Anyways, what is your spending money goal? That is, the amount of cash you want available after rent.

Blindc1rca

Bronze

Post by Blindc1rca » Sat Feb 05, 2011 9:15 am

does anyone know what NYU's policy on deferrals is? If I have a good reason (e.g. finishing a community-based development project in a developing nation whose completion, it has be come clear, will not be seen until early September) do you think they'll grant me one year?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

lsathalon

Bronze

Post by lsathalon » Sat Feb 05, 2011 9:40 am

Blindc1rca wrote:does anyone know what NYU's policy on deferrals is? If I have a good reason (e.g. finishing a community-based development project in a developing nation whose completion, it has be come clear, will not be seen until early September) do you think they'll grant me one year?
NYU will be thrilled to grant the deferral for something like that. I have a friend who deferred b/c her husband hadn't found a job in NY yet. Deferring 1 year was fine, but they told her she would need a really good reason to defer for 2 years.

Blindc1rca

Bronze

Post by Blindc1rca » Sat Feb 05, 2011 9:55 am

lsathalon wrote:
Blindc1rca wrote:does anyone know what NYU's policy on deferrals is? If I have a good reason (e.g. finishing a community-based development project in a developing nation whose completion, it has be come clear, will not be seen until early September) do you think they'll grant me one year?
NYU will be thrilled to grant the deferral for something like that. I have a friend who deferred b/c her husband hadn't found a job in NY yet. Deferring 1 year was fine, but they told her she would need a really good reason to defer for 2 years.
sweet... i wonder, on the off chance that i get an offer for one of the RTK scholarships, if they would defer that $$ too...

cigrainger

Bronze

Post by cigrainger » Sat Feb 05, 2011 10:10 pm

They will grant you the year, they won't defer the RTK. I'm deferring and asked about the RTK already -- you have to apply in the fall before you attend. They won't defer the money unfortunately. If you have any questions about deferring, shoot me a PM. The Assistant Director of Admissions who handles deferrals is so helpful and friendly. Then again I've gotten a great vibe off everybody I've spoken to at NYU so far.

LinzerTorte

Silver

Post by LinzerTorte » Sun Feb 06, 2011 11:33 am

cigrainger wrote:
They will grant you the year, they won't defer the RTK. I'm deferring and asked about the RTK already -- you have to apply in the fall before you attend. They won't defer the money unfortunately. If you have any questions about deferring, shoot me a PM. The Assistant Director of Admissions who handles deferrals is so helpful and friendly. Then again I've gotten a great vibe off everybody I've spoken to at NYU so far.
Speaking of RTK, have those interview requests gone out already? And does anyone know what form they take once they do go out: email or snail mail?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

JD=Doctor

Bronze

Post by JD=Doctor » Mon Feb 07, 2011 7:40 pm

Can anyone PM me Dean Kleinrocks email or another adcoms email that they sent to you?

would really appreciate it

Ratchet Jackson

Gold

Post by Ratchet Jackson » Mon Feb 07, 2011 7:52 pm

Tagging TT. About 85% sure I'll be in Manhattan this Fall. Look forward to meeting you peeps.

cruelestgame

Bronze

Post by cruelestgame » Tue Feb 08, 2011 12:03 pm

~
Last edited by cruelestgame on Sun Mar 31, 2013 8:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

cruelestgame

Bronze

Post by cruelestgame » Tue Feb 08, 2011 1:53 pm

~
Last edited by cruelestgame on Sun Mar 31, 2013 8:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

rikkitikki

New

Post by rikkitikki » Tue Feb 08, 2011 6:33 pm

Hey All,

Just checking in. I got purpled ED in December. I'm non-traditional, I've been in sales and marketing for the past six years. I live in SoCal, a few miles away from shanemahsa (glad to see you've decided to enroll, sir). I'm planning to attend the March 3-4 ASW.

I'll chime in on one matter: I sent my intention to enroll with check in late December. Two weeks ago I sent an e-mail inquiry asking them why I haven't received confirmation or the check getting cashed. According to admissions dept e-mail they are still "processing" it. So no worries, it looks like they just take their time with these things.

My open questions include (but are not limited to) the following:

-Need to get a laptop: Mac or PC? I'm leaning Mac but I've heard tell of compatibility issues with the software used for conducting exams.
-Housing: to campus or not to campus?
-Financial aid: give me some.

Hopefully I can get some answers on those at the ASW. Hope to see y'all there.

rikkitikki

New

Post by rikkitikki » Tue Feb 08, 2011 6:42 pm

BTW, I haven't seen the link to this topic posted yet, but I found it to be very informative...

http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 4&t=141745

mst

Silver

Post by mst » Tue Feb 08, 2011 8:27 pm

rikkitikki wrote: My open questions include (but are not limited to) the following:

-Need to get a laptop: Mac or PC? I'm leaning Mac but I've heard tell of compatibility issues with the software used for conducting exams.

-Still haven't gotten check processed in over a month too.
-From what I've read the Mac stuff has been sorted out. Might want to check into this a little bit more before purchasing but I think you should be OK. Either way I'm probably gonna get me a nice HP dv6tse or Hp envy for half the price. Yay windows!
-Live on campus with us and the other majority of the entering class! We can be super great friends/alcoholics together.
-Financial Aid: No, don't give you some. Cuz then there's less fo me. Tho I won't get none regardless cuz all that ED business I'm contracted to. :(

lsathalon

Bronze

Post by lsathalon » Tue Feb 08, 2011 8:33 pm

rikkitikki wrote:Hey All,

Just checking in. I got purpled ED in December. I'm non-traditional, I've been in sales and marketing for the past six years. I live in SoCal, a few miles away from shanemahsa (glad to see you've decided to enroll, sir). I'm planning to attend the March 3-4 ASW.

I'll chime in on one matter: I sent my intention to enroll with check in late December. Two weeks ago I sent an e-mail inquiry asking them why I haven't received confirmation or the check getting cashed. According to admissions dept e-mail they are still "processing" it. So no worries, it looks like they just take their time with these things.

My open questions include (but are not limited to) the following:

I use a Mac (and had no idea how to use it before I started school), and I had no exam problems. If you do have a problem for some reason, I've heard IT is pretty helpful in sorting it out, but I have no reason to think that Mac users are more likely to have a problem than PC users.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2014 Forum”