Ohio State 2014 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2014)
tycoga

New

Ohio State 2014

Post by tycoga » Thu Dec 02, 2010 9:14 pm

I didn't see a thread going so I figured I would go ahead and start one. I'm about 99 percent sure I am going to be attending OSU so.... go Buckeyes! How are other people faring?

jwrash

Bronze

Re: Ohio State 2014

Post by jwrash » Sun Dec 05, 2010 3:26 pm

Got my acceptance letter last week. Not sure if I'll end up there, but excited to have been accepted so early. Congrats!

ajw431

New

Post by ajw431 » Sun Dec 12, 2010 1:10 pm

I got my acceptance letter just before Thanksgiving so I was thrilled about how quickly the process went. I'm not 100% sure I'll be there next year, but it is a very real possibility. Now I'm just hoping my Buckeyes can pull off a W over Arkansas in the Sugar Bowl. Go Bucks and congrats to all of you!

lifestooquick

Silver

Post by lifestooquick » Wed Dec 29, 2010 5:20 pm

Just got accepted today! Will be attending in the fall :)

I live in Cbus, so if anyone has questions about it I can try to answer them! Looking forward to meeting you all in the fall!

Lwoods

Silver

Post by Lwoods » Wed Dec 29, 2010 5:25 pm

Yay! Will probably attend if they can match/beat my offer from IU. (I'm a bad wife...) :D

Another Cbuser here, but I've only lived here 6 months or so. I basically only know downtown and Easton, but at least I can attest to the decent shopping! Congrats, all! I hope they get an admitted students site up soon.

Here are the ASDs/ ASWs at least:
--LinkRemoved--

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

lifestooquick

Silver

Post by lifestooquick » Wed Dec 29, 2010 5:31 pm

Lwoods wrote:Yay! Will probably attend if they can match/beat my offer from IU. (I'm a bad wife...) :D

Another Cbuser here, but I've only lived here 6 months or so. I basically only know downtown and Easton, but at least I can attest to the decent shopping! Congrats, all! I hope they get an admitted students site up soon.

--LinkRemoved--
Well I definitely hope you end up here :) :) :) Which ASW/ASD do you think you're going to go to? I'll probably do the first one on March 4-5.

mcubberly

Bronze

Post by mcubberly » Wed Dec 29, 2010 5:35 pm

I'm definitely considering OSU. After avoiding it for undergrad (I'm from a Columbus suburb, and a good 25%+ of my HS went there), I'm thinking about moving back to Columbus. There's so much stuff here, and I'd be near my family. I think it'll come down to GW/BC/IL/OSU, depending on scholarship amounts. I'd love to move back, but I'm worried about job prospects/etc. OSU is a great school, and Columbus is an awesome city.

Congrats all! And LWoods, glad you've found somewhere in the Midwest! Been seeing you on random threads since I started to apply. I think Columbus is waaay better than Bloomington...but I'm biased. :D

Lwoods

Silver

Post by Lwoods » Wed Dec 29, 2010 5:41 pm

lifestooquick wrote:
Lwoods wrote:Yay! Will probably attend if they can match/beat my offer from IU. (I'm a bad wife...) :D

--LinkRemoved--
Well I definitely hope you end up here :) :) :) Which ASW/ASD do you think you're going to go to? I'll probably do the first one on March 4-5.
Haha, yeah, I definitely got excited for OSU after our gtg! but I also like the idea of <$50k in loans, so...yeah. I'd prefer to not live 3 1/2 hours from my husband, though, too. OSU should just make it an easy decision for me and give me the Moritz. ;)

To answer your question, March 4-5 is probably the best for me as well! Did you email have any information about registering for those? I don't see it in mine.

lifestooquick

Silver

Post by lifestooquick » Wed Dec 29, 2010 6:14 pm

Nope, no info yet. I'm sure we'll get more information in the coming weeks though :)

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Lwoods

Silver

Post by Lwoods » Wed Dec 29, 2010 7:09 pm

mcubberly wrote: ...

Congrats all! And LWoods, glad you've found somewhere in the Midwest! Been seeing you on random threads since I started to apply. I think Columbus is waaay better than Bloomington...but I'm biased. :D
Thanks! Columbus definitely has the shopping advantage (though it'll seem less awesome after I lose my discount)... but I'm still an Indiana girl. ;)

I don't think jobs will be an issue if you want to stay in Ohio after law school because you've got Jones Day + all of the major companies. If you're like me and want to get back to a pedestrian city, though, there are probably some hurdles. Coming out with little to no debt erases a different host of hurdles, though, in a big way.

Think you'll come back for an ASW/ASD?

Lwoods

Silver

Post by Lwoods » Thu Dec 30, 2010 11:50 am

Apologies for all the posts, but I was just wondering...

Does OSU have a law revue? If not, we should start one. :) I loved skit night at my husband's med school...

lifestooquick

Silver

Post by lifestooquick » Thu Dec 30, 2010 11:59 am

Lwoods wrote:Apologies for all the posts, but I was just wondering...

Does OSU have a law revue? If not, we should start one. :) I loved skit night at my husband's med school...
I don't know...but we should definitely start one if they don't!! I tried searching but couldn't find anything so I'm guessing they don't.

Lwoods

Silver

Post by Lwoods » Mon Jan 03, 2011 11:08 am

lifestooquick wrote:
Lwoods wrote:Apologies for all the posts, but I was just wondering...

I don't know...but we should definitely start one if they don't!! I tried searching but couldn't find anything so I'm guessing they don't.
Yes! Hmm... is Hang On Sloopy too sacrosanct to do a parody to? :twisted:

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

mcubberly

Bronze

Post by mcubberly » Mon Jan 03, 2011 3:49 pm

Lwoods wrote:

Thanks! Columbus definitely has the shopping advantage (though it'll seem less awesome after I lose my discount)... but I'm still an Indiana girl. ;)

I don't think jobs will be an issue if you want to stay in Ohio after law school because you've got Jones Day + all of the major companies. If you're like me and want to get back to a pedestrian city, though, there are probably some hurdles. Coming out with little to no debt erases a different host of hurdles, though, in a big way.

I think I'm going to visit Weds :). I'm here until the 8th... We'll see about the ASW. I love Columbus, and I definitely want to graduate with very little debt. I'm just concerned about geographic mobility if it doesn't pan out in Ohio. I'm also moving with the SO, so I want a decent city with jobs for him, too. Columbus shopping is great. I'd love to stay in the Midwest vs the NE, but...this career stuff has me stressed out.

Lwoods

Silver

Post by Lwoods » Mon Jan 03, 2011 4:45 pm

mcubberly wrote:
Lwoods wrote:

I think I'm going to visit Weds :). I'm here until the 8th... We'll see about the ASW. I love Columbus, and I definitely want to graduate with very little debt. I'm just concerned about geographic mobility if it doesn't pan out in Ohio. I'm also moving with the SO, so I want a decent city with jobs for him, too. Columbus shopping is great. I'd love to stay in the Midwest vs the NE, but...this career stuff has me stressed out.
Cbus gtg?

As someone who recently moved to Columbus for a s/o, I think the job market is actually okay here. I definitely think I had a leg-up with 4 years w/e before moving here. However, the job I ended up getting is in a field in which I didn't have a ton of experience (specialty retail... I had <6 months pt store experience, and this is a home office gig). Obviously, with my FIT degree, I was in favor of Columbus because of all of the retail HQs, but there's also Cardinal and Nationwide for business jobs. JP Morgan/Chase has a sizable office here. I've met a handful of pharm reps. There are lots of hospitals with labs if he's a science/research guy. There are various engineering opportunities as well. Basically, any type of white collar job can probably be found here. It just sucks for car-haters like myself because the public transportation is awful.

Anyway, good luck with your decision! :)

mcubberly

Bronze

Post by mcubberly » Mon Jan 03, 2011 4:50 pm

Lwoods wrote:
mcubberly wrote:
Lwoods wrote:

Cbus gtg?

As someone who recently moved to Columbus for a s/o, I think the job market is actually okay here. I definitely think I had a leg-up with 4 years w/e before moving here. However, the job I ended up getting is in a field in which I didn't have a ton of experience (specialty retail... I had <6 months pt store experience, and this is a home office gig). Obviously, with my FIT degree, I was in favor of Columbus because of all of the retail HQs, but there's also Cardinal and Nationwide for business jobs. JP Morgan/Chase has a sizable office here. I've met a handful of pharm reps. There are lots of hospitals with labs if he's a science/research guy. There are various engineering opportunities as well. Basically, any type of white collar job can probably be found here. It just sucks for car-haters like myself because the public transportation is awful.

Cbus gtg sounds great. PM? Definitely good to have your input on the job market... most of my friends are still in college and haven't been actively looking for jobs. He's been looking at pharm sales-- science undergrad, but meh on med school. :D

lifestooquick

Silver

Post by lifestooquick » Mon Jan 03, 2011 5:35 pm

Lwoods wrote:
mcubberly wrote:
Lwoods wrote:

Cbus gtg?

You know I'm in for a Cbus gtg! :)

Columbus definitely has a lot of different opportunities for jobs. I've lived here for 2 years and work for a nonprofit doing state government relations/lobbying. Lwoods definitely hit most of the big employers. Of course, there's always the university itself as well as the medical center. There are a ton of hospitals that do a lot of hiring as well. For pharm related stuff, definitely check out Abbott - they have a huge office here.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

lifestooquick

Silver

Post by lifestooquick » Tue Jan 04, 2011 10:37 pm

Hope you other future Buckeyes are watching the game! :)

GO BUCKS! O-H

ajw431

New

Post by ajw431 » Wed Jan 05, 2011 1:27 am

I-O!!!!

I don't enjoy heart attacks, but if it comes with a Buckeye win over the SEC, I'll take it.

lifestooquick

Silver

Post by lifestooquick » Wed Jan 05, 2011 10:51 am

ajw431 wrote:I-O!!!!

I don't enjoy heart attacks, but if it comes with a Buckeye win over the SEC, I'll take it.
I know right!? That game was stressful! But woohoo, we won!!!!

lifestooquick

Silver

Post by lifestooquick » Thu Jan 20, 2011 3:35 pm

That scholly update email was such a tease! I got all excited thinking it might be a scholarship offer. At least it said offers should be coming in 1-2 weeks :)

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

tillie512

New

Post by tillie512 » Thu Jan 20, 2011 3:42 pm

Just curious- how long did those of you who were admitted have to wait after your apps were complete to hear back? I read a couple of you were happy about "fast turnarounds"...any hints as to how long?
-Anxiously awaiting here

RTS83

New

Post by RTS83 » Sun Feb 13, 2011 10:30 pm

I heard back in 4 weeks. Stupid late Dec. LSAT return...

163/3.46

keeran23

New

Post by keeran23 » Wed Mar 02, 2011 8:45 pm

Those of you who are attending for sure, where are you guys living?

buckeye351

New

Post by buckeye351 » Fri Mar 11, 2011 1:51 pm

If anyone is looking for a great place to live next year....I currently live in a huge, very nice 1 bedroom right across the street from Moritz. It is definitely over 1,000 square feet and has a large living room, full bathroom, washer/dryer, kitchen with all new appliances, sun-room, large bedroom and 2 very large closets. It also has a built in desk in the bedroom. I am currently an undergrad at OSU and was planning on living here next year but decided to move to a new place with a friend. The apartment is on the corner of 12th and High St. (diagonal from the law school). The rent is $810/month plus utilities but water is covered by the landlord (Buckeye Real Estate). There is no better place to live for an Ohio State law student, especially for the price. If you are interested please call me at 614-975-1044.
Thanks

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2014 Forum”