William & Mary c/o 2014

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2014)
Capitol A
Posts: 757
Joined: Tue Jul 06, 2010 2:23 pm

William & Mary c/o 2014

Postby Capitol A » Sun Nov 21, 2010 4:51 pm

Haven't gotten my admit packet, but I'm super excited. Anyone else planning to attend?

HeavenWood
Posts: 2915
Joined: Wed Jul 28, 2010 6:42 pm

Re: William & Mary c/o 2014

Postby HeavenWood » Wed Nov 24, 2010 6:22 pm

It's a possibility if all else fails (not to knock W&M, of course). Maybe I'll be more excited once my admit packet comes in with a (hopefully) large scholarship offer?

Capitol A
Posts: 757
Joined: Tue Jul 06, 2010 2:23 pm

Re: William & Mary c/o 2014

Postby Capitol A » Wed Nov 24, 2010 6:33 pm

Well..im still waiting on responses from gulc, vandy, and penn, but IF i am admitted to any of those I doubt it will be with scholly.
I doubt I will get scholly from anywhere as highly ranked or prestigious as WM. This and I love the history. So im psyched to be a WM admit.

User avatar
brose
Posts: 648
Joined: Sun Nov 16, 2008 2:05 am

Re: William & Mary c/o 2014

Postby brose » Wed Nov 24, 2010 6:43 pm

I'm in minus a miracle from UT. My packet came today with 5k/yr which is very gracious considering my numbers. I'm getting excited! Freaked out that my cycle is pretty much over before Thanksgiving... haha!

slamp
Posts: 18
Joined: Mon Jul 05, 2010 10:57 am

Re: William & Mary c/o 2014

Postby slamp » Wed Nov 24, 2010 7:35 pm

I am kind of the same as you two. I love W&M, the area, etc., but I'm still holding out for other schools.

Has anyone else visited the campus? I went to Williamsburg a few months ago for a trip and that's what sold me on applying...it's an amazing little town meets stuff to do style school. And tons of history.

Capitol A
Posts: 757
Joined: Tue Jul 06, 2010 2:23 pm

Re: William & Mary c/o 2014

Postby Capitol A » Wed Nov 24, 2010 8:21 pm

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=138893

Posted to the choosing a law school forum...Please let me know what you think. I kind of already have my mind made up, but I'm looking for some confirmation.
thanks.

User avatar
Snoring Meatball
Posts: 105
Joined: Mon Jun 21, 2010 4:22 pm

Re: William & Mary c/o 2014

Postby Snoring Meatball » Thu Nov 25, 2010 12:27 am

Capitol A wrote:Haven't gotten my admit packet, but I'm super excited. Anyone else planning to attend?


Me! Unless my alma mater offers me a full ride (haha right) and probably even then! I'm just holding off on accepting because I feel like I should visit first. I've been to Williamsburg (loved it!), but I haven't done the official W&M Law visit. Hope to drive down before ASW!

User avatar
oshberg28
Posts: 176
Joined: Sat Aug 07, 2010 6:24 pm

Re: William & Mary c/o 2014

Postby oshberg28 » Thu Nov 25, 2010 12:35 am

Definitely a good possibility. This was my first acceptance though, so still waiting for others.

User avatar
queenlizzie13
Posts: 938
Joined: Tue Jun 08, 2010 9:30 pm

Re: William & Mary c/o 2014

Postby queenlizzie13 » Thu Nov 25, 2010 1:54 am

slamp wrote:I am kind of the same as you two. I love W&M, the area, etc., but I'm still holding out for other schools.

Has anyone else visited the campus? I went to Williamsburg a few months ago for a trip and that's what sold me on applying...it's an amazing little town meets stuff to do style school. And tons of history.


Yeah I visited the campus and LOVED it. I'm still waiting to hear whether I was accepted or not. If I get in, I don't know about taking the LSAT again...but we'll see what happens.

W&M is very very high on my list.

Capitol A
Posts: 757
Joined: Tue Jul 06, 2010 2:23 pm

Re: William & Mary c/o 2014

Postby Capitol A » Sat Nov 27, 2010 10:23 am

I'm planning to visit W&M in January...My main objective is to see the school, see the neighborhoods, etc. but I would like to do some of the touristy stuff as well. Anyone have any suggestions for neighborhoods/areas to look at houses? or for things to do/see while there?
Thanks.

User avatar
queenlizzie13
Posts: 938
Joined: Tue Jun 08, 2010 9:30 pm

Re: William & Mary c/o 2014

Postby queenlizzie13 » Sat Nov 27, 2010 11:24 am

Capitol A wrote:I'm planning to visit W&M in January...My main objective is to see the school, see the neighborhoods, etc. but I would like to do some of the touristy stuff as well. Anyone have any suggestions for neighborhoods/areas to look at houses? or for things to do/see while there?
Thanks.


I wasn't there very long...only a day as I was also visiting other law schools while back east so I don't really have many suggestions... However, I would try and do some of the historical stuff like Jamestown, Yorktown, and Colonial Williamsburg while you are there.

I only had time to visit Jamestown, but it was pretty cool seeing it, especially because I'm into all that historical stuff. The colonial period was always one of my favorites to study in U.S. History along with WWII.

But what really sold me on the law school was the tour & the tour guide.

Capitol A
Posts: 757
Joined: Tue Jul 06, 2010 2:23 pm

Re: William & Mary c/o 2014

Postby Capitol A » Sat Nov 27, 2010 11:38 am

queenlizzie13 wrote:
Capitol A wrote:I'm planning to visit W&M in January...My main objective is to see the school, see the neighborhoods, etc. but I would like to do some of the touristy stuff as well. Anyone have any suggestions for neighborhoods/areas to look at houses? or for things to do/see while there?
Thanks.


I wasn't there very long...only a day as I was also visiting other law schools while back east so I don't really have many suggestions... However, I would try and do some of the historical stuff like Jamestown, Yorktown, and Colonial Williamsburg while you are there.

I only had time to visit Jamestown, but it was pretty cool seeing it, especially because I'm into all that historical stuff. The colonial period was always one of my favorites to study in U.S. History along with WWII.

But what really sold me on the law school was the tour & the tour guide.


Awesome. Thanks. I too am VERY interested in American history. In fact, history is a huge factor in my attraction to W&M. I place an illogical amount of value on the '2nd oldest college in the U.S.'/'oldest law school in the country'/'founded by Thomas Jefferson' type stuff.

User avatar
Snoring Meatball
Posts: 105
Joined: Mon Jun 21, 2010 4:22 pm

Re: William & Mary c/o 2014

Postby Snoring Meatball » Sat Nov 27, 2010 2:01 pm

Capitol A wrote:I'm planning to visit W&M in January...My main objective is to see the school, see the neighborhoods, etc. but I would like to do some of the touristy stuff as well. Anyone have any suggestions for neighborhoods/areas to look at houses? or for things to do/see while there?
Thanks.


Definitely do the Colonial Triangle. I believe you can get a combined ticket for all three attractions. Not sure if you'll have a car/would be into this at all, but there are some cool plantations on the James River too.

Capitol A
Posts: 757
Joined: Tue Jul 06, 2010 2:23 pm

Re: William & Mary c/o 2014

Postby Capitol A » Sat Nov 27, 2010 2:08 pm

Snoring Meatball wrote:
Capitol A wrote:I'm planning to visit W&M in January...My main objective is to see the school, see the neighborhoods, etc. but I would like to do some of the touristy stuff as well. Anyone have any suggestions for neighborhoods/areas to look at houses? or for things to do/see while there?
Thanks.


Definitely do the Colonial Triangle. I believe you can get a combined ticket for all three attractions. Not sure if you'll have a car/would be into this at all, but there are some cool plantations on the James River too.

Thanks. Do you think/know if that stuff is open in January? Seems like not exactly their peak season.

User avatar
queenlizzie13
Posts: 938
Joined: Tue Jun 08, 2010 9:30 pm

Re: William & Mary c/o 2014

Postby queenlizzie13 » Sat Nov 27, 2010 3:14 pm

Capitol A wrote:
Snoring Meatball wrote:
Capitol A wrote:I'm planning to visit W&M in January...My main objective is to see the school, see the neighborhoods, etc. but I would like to do some of the touristy stuff as well. Anyone have any suggestions for neighborhoods/areas to look at houses? or for things to do/see while there?
Thanks.


Definitely do the Colonial Triangle. I believe you can get a combined ticket for all three attractions. Not sure if you'll have a car/would be into this at all, but there are some cool plantations on the James River too.

Thanks. Do you think/know if that stuff is open in January? Seems like not exactly their peak season.


I definitely think it would be open...there might be some snow on the ground depending, but the admissions people at W&M also says it does not snow too much in Williamsburg or get too cold...except last year they were hit really hard, as was a lot of the east coast...

On the website if you google it, it says the hours for Jamestown Settlement and the Yorktown Victory Center are 9am - 5pm and that they are closed for Christmas and New Year's.

But yeah, do you have a car? I had a rental car...I think you need one to get around to all the places. Also, I think Busch Gardens might be close by as well, and that's another thing you could do too.

Capitol A
Posts: 757
Joined: Tue Jul 06, 2010 2:23 pm

Re: William & Mary c/o 2014

Postby Capitol A » Sat Nov 27, 2010 3:29 pm

queenlizzie13 wrote:
Capitol A wrote:
Snoring Meatball wrote:
Capitol A wrote:I'm planning to visit W&M in January...My main objective is to see the school, see the neighborhoods, etc. but I would like to do some of the touristy stuff as well. Anyone have any suggestions for neighborhoods/areas to look at houses? or for things to do/see while there?
Thanks.


Definitely do the Colonial Triangle. I believe you can get a combined ticket for all three attractions. Not sure if you'll have a car/would be into this at all, but there are some cool plantations on the James River too.

Thanks. Do you think/know if that stuff is open in January? Seems like not exactly their peak season.


I definitely think it would be open...there might be some snow on the ground depending, but the admissions people at W&M also says it does not snow too much in Williamsburg or get too cold...except last year they were hit really hard, as was a lot of the east coast...

On the website if you google it, it says the hours for Jamestown Settlement and the Yorktown Victory Center are 9am - 5pm and that they are closed for Christmas and New Year's.

But yeah, do you have a car? I had a rental car...I think you need one to get around to all the places. Also, I think Busch Gardens might be close by as well, and that's another thing you could do too.

Thanks.
We will have a car. You can't fly from my home town to the Newport News Airport, so we will be flying to Richmond or Norfolk and driving from there.
Average snowfall in Williamsburg is only 6in/yr, so nowhere near as bad as DC or Chicago (other cities I've been condsidering).
Busch Gardens is pretty much in Williamsburg, I believe, but they are not open in Jan or Feb. Actually, they re-open just in time for W&M admitted students weekend, my wife is dying to go at that time.
Keep the ideas coming. I have already decided that W&M is the best investment and best academic option I'm going to have (even if I get into higher ranked schools it won't be with near as $), so I really want to have a great visit so I feel good about my decision.
Any input on where to look at houses? Are there really many options?

bluebird22
Posts: 20
Joined: Sat Nov 27, 2010 3:38 pm

Re: William & Mary c/o 2014

Postby bluebird22 » Sat Nov 27, 2010 3:51 pm

Hey guys! Congrats on being admitted! I'm a 1L and I absolutely love w&m so if anyone needs anything, or has any questions, please PM me or post on here! I saw some questions on housing so I'll try to tackle that question.

A lot of people live at Oxford at New Town or Sterling Manor apartment complexes. Both of those places are pretty pricey but very nice. Steeplechase apartments are a little older but they are also very popular with law students. Around february or march, the law school will send out a housing bulletin. The bulletin will have a lot of listings for places or people needing roommates. I found my place through the bulletin and I absolutely love it. There are plenty of options, so if you can't get down to the 'burg until June, you will still be fine!

Again, Congrats! I can't wait to see everyone at admitted students weekend!

Capitol A
Posts: 757
Joined: Tue Jul 06, 2010 2:23 pm

Re: William & Mary c/o 2014

Postby Capitol A » Sat Nov 27, 2010 3:55 pm

bluebird22 wrote:Hey guys! Congrats on being admitted! I'm a 1L and I absolutely love w&m so if anyone needs anything, or has any questions, please PM me or post on here! I saw some questions on housing so I'll try to tackle that question.

A lot of people live at Oxford at New Town or Sterling Manor apartment complexes. Both of those places are pretty pricey but very nice. Steeplechase apartments are a little older but they are also very popular with law students. Around february or march, the law school will send out a housing bulletin. The bulletin will have a lot of listings for places or people needing roommates. I found my place through the bulletin and I absolutely love it. There are plenty of options, so if you can't get down to the 'burg until June, you will still be fine!

Again, Congrats! I can't wait to see everyone at admitted students weekend!

When you say you "absolutely love w&m," can you point to anything specific that makes it so special?
Do you mind sharing what other schools you considered? or at least let us know what factors helped most in making you choose w&m?
I need a house with a fenced yard, any suggestions on places to look for that? I know williamsburg isn't all that big, but I'm sure there's neighborhoods/areas to look.
Thanks so much.

bluebird22
Posts: 20
Joined: Sat Nov 27, 2010 3:38 pm

Re: William & Mary c/o 2014

Postby bluebird22 » Sat Nov 27, 2010 4:59 pm

I personally think that what makes W&M so special is how much everyone cares about the students success. Within the classes, there isn't that much competition. Everyone understands that we are here for the same reason and instead of hurting each other, everyone is very helpful. We share notes, outlines and exam tips and even as exams get closer, everyone is still very friendly. The 2Ls and 3Ls are wonderful as well. They are the first to volunteer their old outlines and many will even meet with you, despite being ridiculously busy, to give exam advice or answer questions about problem areas within certain classes.

The professors are just as wonderful; they are as brilliant as they are nice. Each of my professors knows my name and says hi to me in the halls when they pass by. Their doors are always open and each of them goes out of their way to answer questions we may have. We've even had professors apologize for assigning a case if they thought it bored us. In addition to the professors, we have the nicest faculty. From the librarians to the deans, they are always available and are very willing to sit down with students for any reason, even if its just to shoot the breeze.

I considered a pretty large list of schools, my top choices ended up being W&M, W&L, Emory, GWU and Boston College. Between the quality of education, the price and the feel/beauty of the campus, W&M was my clear choice.

As for a fenced yard, I'll ask around and see what I can find! Hope this helps!

Capitol A
Posts: 757
Joined: Tue Jul 06, 2010 2:23 pm

Re: William & Mary c/o 2014

Postby Capitol A » Sat Nov 27, 2010 5:42 pm

bluebird22 wrote:I personally think that what makes W&M so special is how much everyone cares about the students success. Within the classes, there isn't that much competition. Everyone understands that we are here for the same reason and instead of hurting each other, everyone is very helpful. We share notes, outlines and exam tips and even as exams get closer, everyone is still very friendly. The 2Ls and 3Ls are wonderful as well. They are the first to volunteer their old outlines and many will even meet with you, despite being ridiculously busy, to give exam advice or answer questions about problem areas within certain classes.

The professors are just as wonderful; they are as brilliant as they are nice. Each of my professors knows my name and says hi to me in the halls when they pass by. Their doors are always open and each of them goes out of their way to answer questions we may have. We've even had professors apologize for assigning a case if they thought it bored us. In addition to the professors, we have the nicest faculty. From the librarians to the deans, they are always available and are very willing to sit down with students for any reason, even if its just to shoot the breeze.

I considered a pretty large list of schools, my top choices ended up being W&M, W&L, Emory, GWU and Boston College. Between the quality of education, the price and the feel/beauty of the campus, W&M was my clear choice.

As for a fenced yard, I'll ask around and see what I can find! Hope this helps!

Wow. This makes you sound like you work for admissions office :)
Thanks for the info. I'm sure I'll see you in the fall.

User avatar
brose
Posts: 648
Joined: Sun Nov 16, 2008 2:05 am

Re: William & Mary c/o 2014

Postby brose » Sat Nov 27, 2010 6:06 pm

I need a fenced yard too, Capitol A! Are you bringing a big dog as well?

Capitol A
Posts: 757
Joined: Tue Jul 06, 2010 2:23 pm

Re: William & Mary c/o 2014

Postby Capitol A » Sat Nov 27, 2010 6:19 pm

brose wrote:I need a fenced yard too, Capitol A! Are you bringing a big dog as well?

A Great Dane/Mastiff mix, and a doberman mix....(but don't tell anyone that)...for renting purposes they are a GreatDane/Lab mix and a Transylvanian Hound (look it up). A lot owners don't like to rent to "aggressive animals." The doberman makes my home owners insurance more expensive.
I know they'll love Williamsburg though. I live in Phoenix now, and they aren't crazy about the heat, or about my midtown yard. They love it when I take them on vacation to Colorado in january.
What are you bringing?

User avatar
brose
Posts: 648
Joined: Sun Nov 16, 2008 2:05 am

Re: William & Mary c/o 2014

Postby brose » Sat Nov 27, 2010 6:35 pm

Capitol A wrote:
brose wrote:I need a fenced yard too, Capitol A! Are you bringing a big dog as well?

A Great Dane/Mastiff mix, and a doberman mix....(but don't tell anyone that)...for renting purposes they are a GreatDane/Lab mix and a Transylvanian Hound (look it up). A lot owners don't like to rent to "aggressive animals." The doberman makes my home owners insurance more expensive.
I know they'll love Williamsburg though. I live in Phoenix now, and they aren't crazy about the heat, or about my midtown yard. They love it when I take them on vacation to Colorado in january.
What are you bringing?


I totally know about "aggressive" dogs... I have a white german shepherd/greyhound mix who looks greyhound enough to just be a "greyhound mix".
Last edited by brose on Thu Jan 13, 2011 1:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Capitol A
Posts: 757
Joined: Tue Jul 06, 2010 2:23 pm

Re: William & Mary c/o 2014

Postby Capitol A » Sat Nov 27, 2010 7:03 pm

brose wrote:
Capitol A wrote:
brose wrote:I need a fenced yard too, Capitol A! Are you bringing a big dog as well?

A Great Dane/Mastiff mix, and a doberman mix....(but don't tell anyone that)...for renting purposes they are a GreatDane/Lab mix and a Transylvanian Hound (look it up). A lot owners don't like to rent to "aggressive animals." The doberman makes my home owners insurance more expensive.
I know they'll love Williamsburg though. I live in Phoenix now, and they aren't crazy about the heat, or about my midtown yard. They love it when I take them on vacation to Colorado in january.
What are you bringing?


I totally know about "aggressive" dogs... I have a white german shepherd/greyhound mix who looks greyhound enough to just be a "greyhound mix". I'm willing to sacrifice proximity for a yard. I have a SO who will most likely be commuting to Newport or Richmond so once we find out and get closer I'm gonna start looking for a yard!

Sounds like we're pretty much in the same boat. The whole "aggressive" label is pretty unfortunate. Living in phoenix, pretty much every pound dog is at least part pit bull, and that keeps a lot of them from being rescued, and that's lame because if you raise them right, they are great dogs.
Anyway....Fortunately, my wife will be looking for work in Williamsburg (she's convinced she wants to be a re-enacter), so we are pretty flexible when it comes to location. I plan to look at a few places in December when I go visit, because there aren't a ton of rental homes that allow dogs, so we want to be sure everything near campus doesn't get taken before fall.

User avatar
Snoring Meatball
Posts: 105
Joined: Mon Jun 21, 2010 4:22 pm

Re: William & Mary c/o 2014

Postby Snoring Meatball » Sun Nov 28, 2010 9:21 pm

Bluebird, thanks for the apartment info. Those look beautiful though and I have a dog who will come visit from time to time. I assume that people who live there drive to campus every day? Is that right? Is there parking available?




Return to “TLS Class of 2014 Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest