Chicago vs other T6 applicant numbers Forum

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Chicago vs other T6 applicant numbers

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jun 23, 2020 6:53 pm

Looking at some of the transfer polls (eg https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... 18wg_0vIg/ or https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIp ... wanalytics) it seems like Chicago attracts far fewer applicants than HLS/CLS/NYU. Why is that? Seems like their number of applicants is more like Yale/Stanford, but their actual transfers don't seem to be in line (Y @ 10-15, S @ 5-10. Chicago takes ~20 transfers (more last year though) while HLS/CLS/NYU all take 45+ it seems, so maybe it is just numbers?

Interested to hear folks' thoughts.

The Lsat Airbender

Gold

Re: Chicago vs other T6 applicant numbers

Post by The Lsat Airbender » Tue Jun 23, 2020 9:14 pm

Both the numbers in that Google Doc and the actual transfer rates seem to track pretty closely with class size: in that regard, Chicago is much more like Yale/Stanford/Penn than Harvard/Columbia/NYU.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jun 24, 2020 2:53 pm

I think you're right that class size correlates directly with admitted transfer numbers, but I'm not sure if that should correlate with transfer applications...

The Lsat Airbender

Gold

Post by The Lsat Airbender » Wed Jun 24, 2020 5:48 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Jun 24, 2020 2:53 pm
I think you're right that class size correlates directly with admitted transfer numbers, but I'm not sure if that should correlate with transfer applications...
But it does correlate? The smaller schools in the T6 have 20-30 poll responses, and the bigger schools have 40-50. Class size roughly tracks transfer-class size (UVA and Michgan buck the trend with tiny transfer classes relative to 1L class size), and transfer applicants naturally focus on the schools that regularly take lots of transfers. If you're doing really well at a T1 school and want to transfer "up" then the two obvious choices are Harvard and Georgetown.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Transfers”