Arizona State reputation in Los Angeles/SoCal Forum

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
tripleu

New

Arizona State reputation in Los Angeles/SoCal

Post by tripleu » Mon Jun 15, 2020 10:57 pm

I am a rising 2L originally from Los Angeles, went to undergrad in LA, and I just completed my 1L in a T3 school in the Midwest. I am looking to transfer because I want to return to Los Angeles, and have been accepted by Arizona State so far. Still waiting on SoCal schools such as Loyola, Pepperdine, USD, and a very long shot for USC. Since USC is very unlikely and ASU is the highest ranked school, I am very tempted to go to ASU even though I know majority of ASU grads stay in Arizona. Either way, I am definitely transferring because I am still better off going to ASU than staying at my old school. Just want to see what I can expect from going to ASU.

cavalier1138

Re: Arizona State reputation in Los Angeles/SoCal

Post by cavalier1138 » Tue Jun 16, 2020 5:57 am

It has no reputation in LA. It's an Arizona school.

That said, you clearly have ties to the region. So if you focus on LA employers and have a good answer for "Why the hell did you go to school at [x] and then [y] if you wanted to be in LA," then you should hopefully be able to break back in. But do you have a good answer for that question? And have you done anything over this summer with LA orgs/firms?

castor

New

Post by castor » Tue Jun 16, 2020 11:57 am

Have you considered UCI?

kylearm1985

New

Post by kylearm1985 » Wed Jun 17, 2020 3:20 pm

Have you considered USC? Honestly, ASU is a very Arizona oriented school. Also, the Southern California market is very saturated with other lower and higher ranked law schools (UCI, USC, UCLA, Loyola, etc.).

If your goal is to work anywhere in CA, then you should probably be fine. But if you're looking to work in the LA area, I think you may have some difficulty. I would suggest going to a lower ranked but CA based school or try to transfer for USC or UCLA.

Good luck!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Transfers”