I'm at a T10 and want to transfer

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
getmeout123

New

I'm at a T10 and want to transfer

Postby getmeout123 » Sun Jan 12, 2020 9:19 pm

I am at a T10 and the city I am in is absolutely not for me. There are not many stats about transfers within the T10. My school has a HH, H, P grading system and I got all H's my 1L Fall semester (30% get an H).

Is it frowned upon to transfer within the T10? My reasoning really is just that I cannot beat to live in this location anymore and I want to be closer to family.

QContinuum

Re: I'm at a T10 and want to transfer

Postby QContinuum » Sun Jan 12, 2020 11:20 pm

getmeout123 wrote:Is it frowned upon to transfer within the T10? My reasoning really is just that I cannot beat to live in this location anymore and I want to be closer to family.

It isn't frowned upon, though it may not make sense if you currently have merit aid. The few T13 students who transfer to peer schools generally do so for family reasons.

cavalier1138

Postby cavalier1138 » Mon Jan 13, 2020 11:24 am

Yeah, financial info is important here. You only have to stay in your current city for another 2.5 years (less if you visit at another school, study abroad, etc.). Unless you have no scholarship at this school, I can't fathom paying five to six figures just to live somewhere else for a bit.

MJSLMF

New

Postby MJSLMF » Tue Jan 14, 2020 2:00 pm

Assume that you're at Berkeley, given the comments about the grading system. At least a handful of students from my class transferred to Y/S/H for some combination of prestige and "need-based" aid. And several others decamped to Columbia or NYU. (I'm given to believe for lifestyle preferences.) I don't think it's "frowned upon," although I know several regretted the decision for a whole host of reasons. Feel free to PM me for additional context.

Dcc617

Gold

Postby Dcc617 » Wed Jan 15, 2020 1:00 am

FYI, Berkeley and Harvard have a 3L exchange program.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Transfers�