Berkeley 2021 Potential Transfers?

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
RJRCALI19

New
Posts: 2
Joined: Fri May 10, 2019 4:51 pm

Berkeley 2021 Potential Transfers?

Postby RJRCALI19 » Fri May 10, 2019 5:28 pm

Looking to pick the brain of those in the process of applying, or having successfully entered, as a Berkeley Law transfer student. At the moment, I am waiting for my Spring 2019 grades.

Current Stats:
Fall 2018 - 3.58 GPA
Class Rank - UNK (current school does not post class ranking until after all Spring grades are recorded)
1 Cali Award in Legal Writing (highest score, if it even matters lol)
Local Bay Area Law School (bottom T2/top T3)
Legal Research Assistant gig for former professor
URM + LGBTQIA (though significant research provides conflicting opinions on these factors)

NYTransfer

New
Posts: 10
Joined: Sat May 11, 2019 3:26 pm

Re: Berkeley 2021 Potential Transfers?

Postby NYTransfer » Sat May 11, 2019 3:38 pm

Depending on the ranking of your school and the curve, grades below 3.6 could be a long shot based on aba 509 data. Last year's 25 percentile is 3.75.

ohladcsc

New
Posts: 28
Joined: Sun Jan 21, 2018 8:44 pm

Re: Berkeley 2021 Potential Transfers?

Postby ohladcsc » Tue May 28, 2019 3:55 pm

Submitted my app today.

Low-end 3.9 - top 5% after first semester. GPA barely changed this semester, but don't have ranks yet.
T1 school between 40-50 not in CA
No CA ties

BarMe

New
Posts: 4
Joined: Tue May 28, 2019 10:26 pm

Re: Berkeley 2021 Potential Transfers?

Postby BarMe » Thu May 30, 2019 1:08 am

ohladcsc wrote:Submitted my app today.

Low-end 3.9 - top 5% after first semester. GPA barely changed this semester, but don't have ranks yet.
T1 school between 40-50 not in CA
No CA ties



Congrats. Was lurking the recent posts for Bar prep stuff, but then stumbled on this thread. You should be a shoe-in at Berkley based on their 509 (http://www.abarequireddisclosures.org/D ... re509.aspx); check the data for your target schools and also check whether they took any students from your school during the previous transfer cycle. This isn't a solution or way to determine if you're getting in, but it made me feel a lot better about everything when I saw that my 1L stats were good enough to get into the school's I was targeting. Ultimately transferred to NYU and graduated last week.

Good luck and feel free to PM me with any questions!

ohladcsc

New
Posts: 28
Joined: Sun Jan 21, 2018 8:44 pm

Re: Berkeley 2021 Potential Transfers?

Postby ohladcsc » Wed Jun 05, 2019 12:44 pm

BarMe wrote:
ohladcsc wrote:Submitted my app today.

Low-end 3.9 - top 5% after first semester. GPA barely changed this semester, but don't have ranks yet.
T1 school between 40-50 not in CA
No CA ties



Congrats. Was lurking the recent posts for Bar prep stuff, but then stumbled on this thread. You should be a shoe-in at Berkley based on their 509 (http://www.abarequireddisclosures.org/D ... re509.aspx); check the data for your target schools and also check whether they took any students from your school during the previous transfer cycle. This isn't a solution or way to determine if you're getting in, but it made me feel a lot better about everything when I saw that my 1L stats were good enough to get into the school's I was targeting. Ultimately transferred to NYU and graduated last week.

Good luck and feel free to PM me with any questions!


Ah, thank you so much! I don’t think anyone from my school has ever transferred to Berkeley - I’m in the Southeast so I can imagine not many want to make the huge move. So hopefully my school isn’t too much of a blackbox! I’ll PM you.

transfertransfer21

New
Posts: 21
Joined: Wed Jun 12, 2019 5:15 pm

Re: Berkeley 2021 Potential Transfers?

Postby transfertransfer21 » Wed Jun 12, 2019 5:33 pm

What do you think my chances of getting in are?
GPA: 3.96
Top 1.5%, Class Rank-#3
School: Lower T1
CA Ties

janereacher

Bronze
Posts: 105
Joined: Fri Dec 30, 2016 4:12 am

Re: Berkeley 2021 Potential Transfers?

Postby janereacher » Fri Jun 14, 2019 9:01 am

transfertransfer21 wrote:What do you think my chances of getting in are?
GPA: 3.96
Top 1.5%, Class Rank-#3
School: Lower T1
CA Ties


Do you even really need to ask? Hope you applied to Stanford as well.

transfertransfer21

New
Posts: 21
Joined: Wed Jun 12, 2019 5:15 pm

Re: Berkeley 2021 Potential Transfers?

Postby transfertransfer21 » Fri Jun 14, 2019 10:13 am

janereacher wrote:
transfertransfer21 wrote:What do you think my chances of getting in are?
GPA: 3.96
Top 1.5%, Class Rank-#3
School: Lower T1
CA Ties


Do you even really need to ask? Hope you applied to Stanford as well.


Yes I did and Harvard, I’m so just so nervous to hear because I’m having to give up my spot at other schools I’ve gotten into since Berkeley, Stanford and Harvard take longer to get back to people

janereacher

Bronze
Posts: 105
Joined: Fri Dec 30, 2016 4:12 am

Re: Berkeley 2021 Potential Transfers?

Postby janereacher » Fri Jun 14, 2019 4:28 pm

It's certainly stressful since they all take so long to reply! Although with your stats even in the unlikely scenario that you ended up staying at your 1L school, you'd be fine. Looking at it that way has helped me manage the stress. It's very different than being a 0L and not having any sense of what your law school grades will be like when you are making your choice.

transfertransfer21

New
Posts: 21
Joined: Wed Jun 12, 2019 5:15 pm

Re: Berkeley 2021 Potential Transfers?

Postby transfertransfer21 » Fri Jun 14, 2019 5:21 pm

janereacher wrote:It's certainly stressful since they all take so long to reply! Although with your stats even in the unlikely scenario that you ended up staying at your 1L school, you'd be fine. Looking at it that way has helped me manage the stress. It's very different than being a 0L and not having any sense of what your law school grades will be like when you are making your choice.


Yes that’s a good way to look at it and there’s no way change their decision timelines. It’s just hard because Harvard and Stanford have OCI/start fall classes so much later than other schools so they can wait longer to tell people. If only it was more standardized like with undergrad :/

endgame1502

New
Posts: 2
Joined: Fri Apr 26, 2019 7:33 pm

Re: Berkeley 2021 Potential Transfers?

Postby endgame1502 » Mon Jun 17, 2019 1:28 am

My status checker says "in review as of 6/5" but I forget if that was a change, or if it was already like that when I first got the link. it's the 16th now...

transfertransfer21

New
Posts: 21
Joined: Wed Jun 12, 2019 5:15 pm

Re: Berkeley 2021 Potential Transfers?

Postby transfertransfer21 » Mon Jun 17, 2019 11:43 am

endgame1502 wrote:My status checker says "in review as of 6/5" but I forget if that was a change, or if it was already like that when I first got the link. it's the 16th now...


I emailed and asked when they would release decisions and they said June 24-July 3

NYTransfer

New
Posts: 10
Joined: Sat May 11, 2019 3:26 pm

Re: Berkeley 2021 Potential Transfers?

Postby NYTransfer » Mon Jun 24, 2019 12:35 pm

Called admissions last week and was told that the first batch of decisions would likely come out today (6/24).
Applied on 6/15; In review as of 6/19

JacksonArbor

New
Posts: 5
Joined: Thu Jan 04, 2018 1:30 pm

Re: Berkeley 2021 Potential Transfers?

Postby JacksonArbor » Tue Jun 25, 2019 7:00 pm

Any updates yesterday or today?

NYTransfer

New
Posts: 10
Joined: Sat May 11, 2019 3:26 pm

Re: Berkeley 2021 Potential Transfers?

Postby NYTransfer » Tue Jun 25, 2019 7:37 pm

Nothing... status checker still shows in review

transfertransfer21

New
Posts: 21
Joined: Wed Jun 12, 2019 5:15 pm

Re: Berkeley 2021 Potential Transfers?

Postby transfertransfer21 » Wed Jun 26, 2019 3:42 pm

Just checked my status checker and I was admitted! I haven’t received an email yet though so they must be behind on that.

happysun

New
Posts: 19
Joined: Thu Apr 20, 2017 1:14 pm

Re: Berkeley 2021 Potential Transfers?

Postby happysun » Wed Jun 26, 2019 4:33 pm

transfertransfer21 wrote:Just checked my status checker and I was admitted! I haven’t received an email yet though so they must be behind on that.


Congrats!!!

transfertransfer21

New
Posts: 21
Joined: Wed Jun 12, 2019 5:15 pm

Re: Berkeley 2021 Potential Transfers?

Postby transfertransfer21 » Wed Jun 26, 2019 4:54 pm

happysun wrote:
transfertransfer21 wrote:Just checked my status checker and I was admitted! I haven’t received an email yet though so they must be behind on that.


Congrats!!!


Thank you!! Wishing you good luck as well :)

swimgirl2437

New
Posts: 4
Joined: Sun Apr 28, 2019 8:29 pm

Re: Berkeley 2021 Potential Transfers?

Postby swimgirl2437 » Wed Jun 26, 2019 9:51 pm

Accepted today via email

endgame1502

New
Posts: 2
Joined: Fri Apr 26, 2019 7:33 pm

Re: Berkeley 2021 Potential Transfers?

Postby endgame1502 » Thu Jun 27, 2019 2:23 am

Accepted. For posterity -- CA T2 (60-100), high 3.9x, Top 2-3%.

BengaliBoy

New
Posts: 2
Joined: Wed Jun 26, 2019 8:31 pm

Re: Berkeley 2021 Potential Transfers?

Postby BengaliBoy » Thu Jun 27, 2019 12:04 pm

Admitted. Does anyone have a plan of how to deal with needing to respond by July 11, when there are other schools that will likely not have made a decision yet?

Toplaw2021

New
Posts: 7
Joined: Wed Jul 03, 2019 6:16 pm

Re: Berkeley 2021 Potential Transfers?

Postby Toplaw2021 » Wed Jul 03, 2019 6:25 pm

NYTransfer wrote:Depending on the ranking of your school and the curve, grades below 3.6 could be a long shot based on aba 509 data. Last year's 25 percentile is 3.75.


Have you heard anything, NYTransfer? I am still waiting (under review 6/5 with stats which match their profile and CA ties). I'd like to know if there are others out there still awaiting a decision. Thanks!

ohgoeun

New
Posts: 5
Joined: Tue Jun 18, 2019 5:05 pm

Re: Berkeley 2021 Potential Transfers?

Postby ohgoeun » Wed Jul 03, 2019 7:17 pm

I’m still waiting - In review as of 6/19

Toplaw2021

New
Posts: 7
Joined: Wed Jul 03, 2019 6:16 pm

Re: Berkeley 2021 Potential Transfers?

Postby Toplaw2021 » Wed Jul 03, 2019 7:43 pm

ohgoeun wrote:I’m still waiting - In review as of 6/19


Thanks for your reply. It is good to know there is someone else out there. Best wishes for your good news soon.

NYTransfer

New
Posts: 10
Joined: Sat May 11, 2019 3:26 pm

Re: Berkeley 2021 Potential Transfers?

Postby NYTransfer » Wed Jul 03, 2019 7:58 pm

Toplaw -- same here stuck in review... Not sure if I'll attend even if they admit me at this point



Return to “Transfers?

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.