What would you do? Forum

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

What would you do?

Stay at regional school
43%
Transfer to (H)CCN for NYC only
14%
Transfer to (H)CCN for long term value
43%

Total votes: 14

Anonymous User

What would you do?

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Apr 16, 2015 8:42 pm

Currently at a regional school, full ride, top 1%, large secondary market. Hoping to work in biglaw (to start). Unsure on litigation/transactional at the moment. I'm leaning toward transferring to go after NYC, but would be happy in the market I attend school in. OCI will be limited to this market.

Would you transfer to (H)CCN for the long term value of the degree regardless of market? Only transfer if definitely interested in NYC? Or don't even think about transferring, because I'm better off without debt in a lower COL area likely at a firm paying market or slightly below (with a chance to get lucky mass mailing)?

Long term goals are still unsure, I have a variety of different interests ranging from in-house to government. Pretty torn over what to do. Thanks for any input.

fisheatbananas

Bronze

Re: What would you do?

Post by fisheatbananas » Thu Apr 16, 2015 9:13 pm

Generally attend school where you want to practice, but your post sounds like you're not super motivated to go after NYC and just that it'd be nice. So maybe you won't be super motivated after transferring either, or at least not much more motivated that you are now... as I'm sure you know grades still matter even if you move to a school where you want to practice of course, so you might want to think about how badly you want to go after NYC.

Tiago Splitter

Diamond

Post by Tiago Splitter » Thu Apr 16, 2015 9:56 pm

What range of school are you at? Top of the class at a lot of schools can get NYC biglaw pretty easily.

AT9

Gold

Post by AT9 » Thu Apr 16, 2015 10:45 pm

Tiago Splitter wrote:What range of school are you at? Top of the class at a lot of schools can get NYC biglaw pretty easily.
Not OP but have a question about this. How likely is it to get NYC biglaw through mass mailing at a pretty average "T1" that's not anywhere near NYC? Say top 5-10%.

My impression is that it's unlikely, but your post seems to indicate otherwise (unless you mean just top 1-2% types).

Tiago Splitter

Diamond

Post by Tiago Splitter » Thu Apr 16, 2015 10:51 pm

Part of it is because OP was putting himself in the 1-2% category which is kind of a different world. Obviously it helps if you have NYC firms coming to campus; a top 5%er at Rutgers-Newark is in great shape, while a top 5%er at Arizona State probably isn't. You should run things by a poster named Hutz_and_Goodman who I believe was in a similar spot.

For the OP specifically, top 1% anywhere usually means biglaw in the home market if not elsewhere. Tough to justify a transfer if you keep the same grades, although getting your materials together to at least consider the option and perhaps have leverage for scholarship negotiations with your current school is never a bad idea.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Hutz_and_Goodman

Gold

Post by Hutz_and_Goodman » Thu Apr 16, 2015 10:51 pm

Really depends on the school. Top 1% at a school with 0% big law you should 100% transfer. Top 1% at a school with 20% big law theres a good argument to stay put because you can probably get big law with no debt.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Apr 16, 2015 11:05 pm

Tiago Splitter wrote:What range of school are you at? Top of the class at a lot of schools can get NYC biglaw pretty easily.
T2 school. I've gotten mixed reviews on likelihood of staying and getting NYC. I know it can be done, but it's certainly a lot more difficult.
Tiago Splitter wrote: For the OP specifically, top 1% anywhere usually means biglaw in the home market if not elsewhere. Tough to justify a transfer if you keep the same grades, although getting your materials together to at least consider the option and perhaps have leverage for scholarship negotiations with your current school is never a bad idea.
I'm at least going to apply to give myself more time to decide. I'm already on a full scholarship, but if I drop a bit after this semester to 5-10% range transferring may be even more worthwhile.
Hutz_and_Goodman wrote:Really depends on the school. Top 1% at a school with 0% big law you should 100% transfer. Top 1% at a school with 20% big law theres a good argument to stay put because you can probably get big law with no debt.
Somewhere in between...I'm very confident I would get big law at least in my current market, with low confidence (but not impossible) of landing it elsewhere.

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Fri Apr 17, 2015 9:17 am

Temple ?

Regardless, transfer to Harvard both for the short & long term impact.

(Plus, this freezes your stellar first-year class rank forever. Your resume will always show that you were in the top 1% of your class at your pre-transfer law school.)

Nebby

Diamond

Post by Nebby » Sat Apr 18, 2015 11:13 am

CanadianWolf wrote:Temple ?

(Plus, this freezes your stellar first-year class rank forever. Your resume will always show that you were in the top 1% of your class at your pre-transfer law school.)
Not really. After you secure your first job, you can drop the 1L school from your resume.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Apr 18, 2015 10:01 pm

CanadianWolf wrote:Temple ?

Wrong city but comparable school rank wise.
Nebby wrote:Not really. After you secure your first job, you can drop the 1L school from your resume.
I agree it would seem to make more sense to drop it after OCI.

chuckbass

Platinum

Post by chuckbass » Sat Apr 18, 2015 10:09 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Nebby wrote:Not really. After you secure your first job, you can drop the 1L school from your resume.
I agree it would seem to make more sense to drop it after OCI.
Not only would it make more sense, but that's the only way to do it. You don't include a school on your resume that you didn't graduate from.

MagicMike80

New

Post by MagicMike80 » Sun Apr 19, 2015 9:32 am

I had a professor who transferred and STILL had "1 out of 300" at her 1L school on her CV.

Nebby

Diamond

Post by Nebby » Sun Apr 19, 2015 4:13 pm

MagicMike80 wrote:I had a professor who transferred and STILL had "1 out of 300" at her 1L school on her CV.
Academics are goobs so makes sense.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Transfers”