Probably should go Chicago, right?

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Probably should go Chicago, right?

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jul 12, 2013 2:57 am

Hi. I was accepted to University of Chicago from another school in the region within the t50- the region which I intend to practice biglaw. I am considering the possibility of pursuing academia at some point.

The differences between the debt I would incur in the next two years would be about 110k at Chicago and 75k at my present school (considering the scholarship increase they offered me). The thing that gives me pause about transferring, is that I think I would probably be able to secure (with my grades) a biglaw job in the same market from my present school. Other factors to consider are that I have a prestigious RA offer at my current school for the Fall, and I have spoke with another professor about working with her on a research project and article at my present school.

Even considering these great opportunities, I'm definitely leaning toward Chicago. Looking for TLS insight. Thanks.

Danger Zone

Re: Probably should go Chicago, right?

Postby Danger Zone » Fri Jul 12, 2013 6:10 am

Yes, transfer. The debt added is minimal and the value added is through the roof (far more prestige than any research you could be doing at your current school).

Postby stillwater » Fri Jul 12, 2013 11:13 am

remember: firms want the most prefTTTTigious lawyer.

A. Nony Mouse

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Fri Jul 12, 2013 12:34 pm

RAships really aren't prestigious. And if you maintain your connections with those profs, you can still get their feedback on any articles you write (you might even be able to work with the 2nd prof on the article from Chicago).

Postby legalmindedfella » Fri Jul 12, 2013 12:39 pm

If you're interested in academia you need to go to Chicago and it's not even debateable. It doesn't matter if you'd get published in a top-50 journal based on the article at your current school. Short of stats/factors that make you a lock for DC Circuit or SCOTUS from your current post (which probably don't exist) you have to build up credentials.

Chicago is the better option not because the school is a golden ticket on the academia front or even that they're meaningfully different than peers on hiring (given state of the market), but because they will know enormously more about current academic hiring, will be able to provide advice on pursuing supplemental graduate degrees, will have better connections to entry-level fellowships and positions, and will make sure that in a game where every inch counts you aren't discounted because of your school name. And they'll also help a lot in securing the all-important federal COA that's borderline mandatory for legal academia.

Go to Chicago.

Postby hephaestus » Fri Jul 12, 2013 12:41 pm

I would definitely transfer. I agree with DZ that the additional debt will be well worth it.

Postby 2013applicant » Fri Jul 12, 2013 12:44 pm

I was a t30 --> Chicago transfer who has now graduated. I can say that it was, without a doubt, the right decision (Even going from a nearly full ride to paying sticker at UChi). The school will open up doors for you that either will never be open for you from your current school or require a massive amount of both luck and work to get the opportunity.

EDIT: Wanted to add that if ALL you wanted is biglaw and you've killed it at a place like UIUC, then maybe stay. Places like Kirkland/Skadden will always give 2-3 offers to the cream of the crop from that school. But if you're at a place like Loyola or Kent, note that I know that K&E hasn't had anyone from Loyola in the past 2 years and had the #1 kid in the class from Kent two years ago for IP lit and nobody this year. I think Skadden hasn't had anyone from either school in the past two years either, IIRC. Your slight interest in academia makes this decision an absolute no-brainer.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jul 12, 2013 2:57 pm

Thanks for the insight. I'm looking forward to Chicago this Fall.

Return to “Transfers”