Top 8-10% at MVP, transfer to HYS? Forum

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Top 8-10% at MVP, transfer to HYS?

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:43 pm

Hey all,

Finally got grades back, and according to the LSN class rank estimator and data points from my school's CSO, I'm somewhere in top 8-10%. I was wondering if anyone knows how competitive this makes me for transfer to HYS, assuming I am somehow able to maintain my performance?

I am actually only interested in one of HYS, but for anonymity's sake I put all 3 to obfuscate my identity. I have ties, in that I went to one of HYS as an undergrad, and personal reasons for wanting to be back. My recs probably won't be extremely strong since I'm not a standout volunteer in classes (although my profs will at least know me reasonably well).

I know arrow's guide says top 5-10% at a t20 gives you a reasonable shot, but I keep seeing people on here or the yahoo group w/ similar rankings at even better schools saying they got rejected. I know it's a crap shoot, but can anyone w/ experience (preferably, some HYS folks who know MVP transfers) give me some advice? Thanks!

KidStuddi

Bronze

Re: Top 8-10% at MVP, transfer to HYS?

Post by KidStuddi » Fri Jan 25, 2013 4:10 am

If you're not considering ED Chicago, all speculation about HYS is decidedly pointless until you have your second semester grades. All anyone can tell you is that you're not out of the running yet and that you would have a better shot if you improve your class rank.

Anonymous User

Re: Top 8-10% at MVP, transfer to HYS?

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jan 26, 2013 6:15 pm

any idea how much my softs will help? (went to one of them UG, family/wife still living there)

I've read a few posters saying they know people from MVP who apparently got HYS being top 1/4-1/3, and I'm assuming they had great ties. Hoping this helps me (obviously still going to work my ass off to maintain or improve my rank), but any confirmation or anecdotal evidence would be appreciated.

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Transfers”