Transfer after three semesters?

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Transfer after three semesters?

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jan 15, 2013 6:45 pm

Top 5% at a TT/TTT, LR, midlaw SA lined up. Got $$$$ to attend.

I made a half-hearted attempt to transfer at the end of 1L (only applied to one school, a T14 [sentimental reasons], sent in the app near the deadline), and didn't get accepted.

I'm thinking more about transferring due to a growing distaste for/disillusionment with the school's administration and faculty, as well as the realization that a degree from my school will have absolutely ZERO pull outside of its home market (which is really just one city).

I guess my question is, is this possible? I know that most if not all schools won't give more than 30 credits (or 1 year's worth) to transfers; would a transfer app after 1.5 years be considered a downside on my apps? I would obviously apply more broadly this time around, and based on some of my classmates from last year it should be relatively easy to at least get into the T20 that is in my same city (multiple people w/ worse stats got in as transfers after 1L), and I'd apply to local T20 schools, including a couple of T14s.

Would it look bad to withdraw/take a leave of absence for this semester (both to save money and preserve my current GPA) in the transfer app process? Also, would this outright void my SA offer/position, even if I stayed in school in the same city?

Any info or advice on this would be appreciated, thanks!

cinephile

Re: Transfer after three semesters?

Postby cinephile » Tue Jan 15, 2013 8:00 pm

I know a guy who transferred after completing 2L elsewhere. He had to repeat 2L at his new institution, but they let him in anyway.

Wholigan

Postby Wholigan » Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:48 pm

I think it would put your job in jeopardy, so I would be careful with this. They hired you presumably looking at staffing needs for c/o 2014, but if you transfer, it appears you would be c/o 2015. It puts the firm in a bad spot. What are they supposed to do, let you come back for another 2L summer next year? Make you an offer after this summer for two years out? I'm not saying you would lose the job, but I think you shouldn't try to transfer unless you are okay with losing it.

keg411

Postby keg411 » Thu Jan 17, 2013 1:18 am

At this point, you need to stick it out and just focus on getting an offer from your SA. Be happy you have LR/your SA/$$$$. At this point, what's done is done, and you should be taking advantage of the position you're in from your school (start making connections so you can apply for clerkships, etc.).

Almost no one is happy with their law school's administration for one reason or another.

ETA: the only people I know who transferred after technically 2 years were all PT initially and under or around 30 credits (and entered as 2L's).
Last edited by keg411 on Thu Jan 17, 2013 1:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Thu Jan 17, 2013 1:21 am

cinephile wrote:I know a guy who transferred after completing 2L elsewhere. He had to repeat 2L at his new institution, but they let him in anyway.

this will be true everywhere due to ABA residency requirements.

Return to “Transfers”