what school should I transfer to?

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Tigress

what school should I transfer to?

Postby Tigress » Tue Jan 15, 2013 6:04 pm

I am at 4T law school and my GPA is 3.180 and class rank is 38 out 150. I want to transfer a top 20-50 law school, any recommendations?

Thank you

K Rock

Re: what school should I transfer to?

Postby K Rock » Tue Jan 15, 2013 8:51 pm

Probably not gonna happen...your grades are likely not quite good enough. To transfer into the T1 from a T4 you probably have to be at LEAST top 10% and you are barely top 25%. Where are you from and where do you want to work? You should probably throw out apps to schools in that region, though I wouldn't expect any acceptances unless you destroy second semester and really up your rank.

Wholigan

Postby Wholigan » Tue Jan 15, 2013 11:02 pm

K Rock wrote:Probably not gonna happen...your grades are likely not quite good enough. To transfer into the T1 from a T4 you probably have to be at LEAST top 10% and you are barely top 25%. Where are you from and where do you want to work? You should probably throw out apps to schools in that region, though I wouldn't expect any acceptances unless you destroy second semester and really up your rank.

I don't know that this is entirely accurate. Looking at transferapps data, there are submissions that seem to indicate such a transfer is possible, such as:
17% Cooley --> Tulane
20% NYLS --> BU
T4 14% --> GMU/SMU
T4 19% --> FSU
T4 24% --> Maryland

These are just a few I picked out. Of course, some of these rankings are higher than the OP, but top 15% is not out of reach with a slightly better spring semester. OP, I think the more important question is whether the transfer is worthwhile and what you will get out of it. If there is a state school in the 20-50 range where you would get in-state tuition, that might be a good place to start. Look through transferapps and see what other schools accepted similarly situated students other than the ones noted above.

splittermcsplit88

Postby splittermcsplit88 » Tue Jan 15, 2013 11:50 pm

Many have gone T4 to T1 with top 25%. Look at the yahoo group and tls spreadsheet. American (T4, 25%), GW (T4, 30%), Maryland (T4, 25%), Brooklyn (T4, 30%) Emory (T3, 30%), Minnesota (T4, 26%), they're all in there. May not be common, but possible. Also, TTTs tend to do better than T4s when transferring.

NickM54

Postby NickM54 » Tue Jan 15, 2013 11:54 pm

Emory took a ton of transfers this past year, and it appears they will do it again next year. I would apply there given your situation.

Uncle.Joe

Postby Uncle.Joe » Wed Jan 16, 2013 10:31 am

I think if you maintain you should be able to transfer to a T1. That being said I would not do so unless money is not a factor for you (or you are already paying sticker).

It is hard for people in the top 20% at many T1's to find jobs that can service a near sticker debt load. As a transfer in you would be looked at as being at or slightly above median. Unless your background or interviewing skills are something amazing it might not be worth the risk.

Tigress

Postby Tigress » Wed Jan 16, 2013 10:48 am

Thank you guys, more please

keg411

Postby keg411 » Thu Jan 17, 2013 1:16 am

Where is your school now? Do you have money? Where do you want to work after law school? What is your home state?

Tigress

Postby Tigress » Thu Jan 17, 2013 6:19 am

keg411 wrote:Where is your school now? Do you have money? Where do you want to work after law school? What is your home state?

I study in Valparaiso Law School. I do have money. I want to work in big cities, NY or Chicago. Home state is NC.

Return to “Transfers”