Transfer Dilemma

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
monkeyhead5171
Posts: 2
Joined: Tue Jul 17, 2012 4:43 am

Transfer Dilemma

Postby monkeyhead5171 » Tue Jul 17, 2012 4:44 am

Hi all - I created a new account since my last account was basically my name. I'm at a top 20 school and I applied to transfer to Harvard, Columbia, Chicago and Northwestern. I applied to Northwestern mostly as a way to negotiate scholarship with my current school. The other three schools I would strongly consider. I'm currently borderline top 10% (school doesn't disclose).

My dilemma is that I've been accepted to Northwestern but haven't heard from the other three and probably won't until after NW's deadline to accept this Monday. I don't want to use my silver bullet scholarship negotiation since NW will be less leverage than a Chicago or the like, but I also don't want to be locked out of the other three and then stuck with no leverage at my current school.

Advice?

User avatar
cinephile
Posts: 3469
Joined: Sun Jul 18, 2010 3:50 pm

Re: Transfer Dilemma

Postby cinephile » Tue Jul 17, 2012 5:24 am

Can you deposit and Northwestern and withdraw if you get in elsewhere/get more $ at your current school?

heeloftar
Posts: 99
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2012 8:45 am

Re: Transfer Dilemma

Postby heeloftar » Tue Jul 17, 2012 7:02 am

Full disclosure: I am currently hoping for an admit to NU, but as it seems that a lot of schools will not do much in the way of negotiating scholarships with people contemplating transferring, don't deposit at a school unless you would want to go to it (or you might lose the deposit and not get any increased money from your current school)

Xferr
Posts: 109
Joined: Tue Apr 24, 2012 7:24 pm

Re: Transfer Dilemma

Postby Xferr » Tue Jul 17, 2012 7:12 am

Wouldn't the increased scholarship from NU cover the cost of the deposit? If you think you can get at least $500 or whatever from negotiating over your NU acceptance, it covers itself and eliminates risk. Seems like you should just fork over the cash.

I guess it depends on how likely you think you'll be able to draw a scholarship out of NU. Clearly you thought it was likely enough to pay the $100 or so in app fees - is it likely enough to cover the $500 or so? Answer that and I think you have the answer to your question.

FlanSolo
Posts: 439
Joined: Mon Oct 11, 2010 11:34 am

Re: Transfer Dilemma

Postby FlanSolo » Tue Jul 17, 2012 9:03 am

Obviously not sure what NU's deal is, but NYU's intent to enroll form requires withdrawal from your current university. Can you deposit without doing so?

ajaxconstructions
Posts: 248
Joined: Thu May 10, 2012 12:24 am

Re: Transfer Dilemma

Postby ajaxconstructions » Tue Jul 17, 2012 9:05 am

Useless without knowing current school.

CanadianWolf
Posts: 10439
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:54 pm

Re: Transfer Dilemma

Postby CanadianWolf » Tue Jul 17, 2012 9:27 am

Agree that it would help to know your current law school.

shock259
Posts: 1737
Joined: Tue Jan 19, 2010 2:30 am

Re: Transfer Dilemma

Postby shock259 » Tue Jul 17, 2012 12:51 pm

I could be wrong, but I doubt it is going to make that big of a difference if you walk in to negotiate with an acceptance from NU vs Chicago/etc. NU is still a fantastic school. I think you just have to sell that you are serious about transferring.

Also, a lot of us haven't had much luck in negotiating extra money from our current schools this year. So be ready for that.

monkeyhead5171
Posts: 2
Joined: Tue Jul 17, 2012 4:43 am

Re: Transfer Dilemma

Postby monkeyhead5171 » Wed Jul 18, 2012 4:28 am

Current school is Minnesota. NU allows me to deposit without withdrawing from my current school, so I do have that option.

But it's also an interesting thought that the difference in rank btwn NU and Chicago wouldn't matter to my current school. I just assumed it would - do you think that's true?

Panama2014
Posts: 21
Joined: Sun Dec 26, 2010 8:09 pm

Re: Transfer Dilemma

Postby Panama2014 » Wed Jul 18, 2012 9:47 am

The difference between NW and the other schools you have applied to (for purely negotiation purposes) will not make a difference, if they are going to be "pursuaded" to keep you they are going to make the offer regardless.

I would make it now so you know whats on the table in case you are denied everywhere else and waited to long to negotiate.




Return to “Transfers”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.