What are your chances? I'll chance you Forum

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
BattleBuddy

New

Re: What are your chances? I'll chance you

Post by BattleBuddy » Sat May 19, 2012 9:45 pm

Rkl88 wrote:TTTT ranked #1 with a 3.97 GPA and 5 book awards (if this matters at all). What is the highest ranked school I should be looking at? MVP? GULC? T20?
According to previous posts from multiple cycles, the consensus says you should definitely be aiming higher than GULC. MVP is bottom end, CCN as backup and shooting for HYS, specifically H.

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Sat May 19, 2012 10:00 pm

Blanket HYSCCN and pray, aim for any of lower T14 you'd actually attend as backup.

ajaxconstructions

Bronze

Post by ajaxconstructions » Sun May 20, 2012 12:06 am

Lower T14 DCGN, don't have 2nd semester grades back yet but was top 10% first semester, expecting to be around top 30%-35% overall (hopefully) after 2nd semester.

Chances at CCN?

Vronsky

Silver

Post by Vronsky » Sun May 20, 2012 1:37 am

Rkl88 wrote:TTTT ranked #1 with a 3.97 GPA and 5 book awards (if this matters at all). What is the highest ranked school I should be looking at? MVP? GULC? T20?
I do think book awards matter, especially if you can get LORs from those Profs. I think it helped my apps. However, the problem is that you are at a TTTT. I don't think Harvard took #1s from the 4th tier; I think they draw on the T1 and then grab a few #1s from T2 and occasionally a #1 from borderline T2/3. I don't have the data, but I'm not aware of anyone from the 4th tier who got into H or C/N.

IMO, you can apply to H if you want, but save the money on YS and Chi. Add C/N for your long shots, plus Mich, Penn, and Berkley, and then the lower T14 are strong options. I would also apply to GULC, it might be the only T14 you get because of how low your school is ranked.

I know this is somewhat more pessimistic than previous posters, but in my experience, T10 schools just don't reach that far down into 4th tier law schools. GULC is one of the best options for you b/c it is the most friendly to very low ranked schools. Congrats on an awesome 1L, being #1, and killing it in 5 classes. You WILL likely get something, be it lower T10 or T14. Keep your fingers crossed and apply broadly.

Vronsky

Silver

Post by Vronsky » Sun May 20, 2012 1:42 am

ajaxconstructions wrote:Lower T14 DCGN, don't have 2nd semester grades back yet but was top 10% first semester, expecting to be around top 30%-35% overall (hopefully) after 2nd semester.

Chances at CCN?
There are a couple of people from DCGN at CLS/NYU. You should be very competitive if you remain within the top 20%, especially if you write a compelling PS about family in the area or something. I am confident you will get one of the two if you grades stay high. Also, I would definitely apply to YSH, esp. if you remain near top 10%.

Assuming top 15%:
Y - 20%
S - 15%; 25% if west coast
H - 35%
C - 55%
Chi - 40% (due to small class size, unless you have a compelling Chi reason)
N - 65%

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

ajaxconstructions

Bronze

Post by ajaxconstructions » Sun May 20, 2012 1:48 am

Vronsky wrote:
ajaxconstructions wrote:Lower T14 DCGN, don't have 2nd semester grades back yet but was top 10% first semester, expecting to be around top 30%-35% overall (hopefully) after 2nd semester.

Chances at CCN?
There are a couple of people from DCGN at CLS/NYU. You should be very competitive if you remain within the top 20%, especially if you write a compelling PS about family in the area or something. I am confident you will get one of the two if you grades stay high. Also, I would definitely apply to YSH, esp. if you remain near top 10%.

Assuming top 15%:
Y - 20%
H - 35%
C - 55%
N - 65%
What about if grades drop to around top 25% range?

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Sun May 20, 2012 9:48 am

Chances at CCN?
Why would you assume such a huge drop from 1st semester to 2nd?

Vronsky

Silver

Post by Vronsky » Sun May 20, 2012 12:26 pm

ajaxconstructions wrote:
Vronsky wrote:

Chances at CCN?

Assuming top 15%:
Y - 20%
H - 35%
C - 55%
N - 65%
A little bit lower? IIRC, the transfers from T7-14 at C/N were within top 25%. But in that range, you are looking at more of a lateral transfer and can probably cross off YSH.

ajaxconstructions

Bronze

Post by ajaxconstructions » Sun May 20, 2012 2:36 pm

vanwinkle wrote:

Chances at CCN?
Was less motivated and I know I bombed at least one class.

Also got lucky during 1st semester.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

ajaxconstructions

Bronze

Post by ajaxconstructions » Sun May 20, 2012 2:38 pm

Vronsky wrote:
ajaxconstructions wrote:
Vronsky wrote:

Chances at CCN?

Assuming top 15%:
Y - 20%
H - 35%
C - 55%
N - 65%
A little bit lower? IIRC, the transfers from T7-14 at C/N were within top 25%. But in that range, you are looking at more of a lateral transfer and can probably cross off YSH.
Yeah I'm not applying to HYS, but what about DCGN to CCN? Still around a 50% chance?

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Sun May 20, 2012 7:21 pm

ajaxconstructions wrote:
vanwinkle wrote:

Chances at CCN?
Was less motivated and I know I bombed at least one class.

Also got lucky during 1st semester.
Successful transfers are people who make their own luck.

tnguy03

New

Post by tnguy03 » Sun May 20, 2012 8:27 pm

Top 25% at top 30.
1L Biglaw paid SA
5 years WE

I want to apply to Northwestern upwards. Worthwhile to do so? Thanks
Last edited by tnguy03 on Sun May 20, 2012 10:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

T10er13

New

Post by T10er13 » Sun May 20, 2012 9:36 pm

1L at V or P. Top 20% after first semester. Potentially will be in the 15% range after this semester (based on grades that I've received thus far for second semester). I'm straight from undergrad. I had a very competitive internship during college, but other than that, no full-time WE, naturally. I'm not a URM.

What do you think my chances are at Harvard and Yale? I'm not interested in CCN.

Thank you for doing this thread. Such speculation is helpful to me in determining whether I should or should not put in the work to fill out transfer applications.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Mon May 21, 2012 11:15 am

T10er13 wrote:1L at V or P. Top 20% after first semester. Potentially will be in the 15% range after this semester (based on grades that I've received thus far for second semester). I'm straight from undergrad. I had a very competitive internship during college, but other than that, no full-time WE, naturally. I'm not a URM.

What do you think my chances are at Harvard and Yale? I'm not interested in CCN.

Thank you for doing this thread. Such speculation is helpful to me in determining whether I should or should not put in the work to fill out transfer applications.
H puts heavy emphasis on WE these days. They actually look for it during admissions now, including transfer apps. I'm not saying you can't transfer in unless you have it; I'm just saying it's harder to sway them into favoring you if you don't.

I'll predict you're out at both H and Y. This isn't to say you shouldn't apply, just that you should be aware of your chances. I was very borderline for H, and yet after I applied anyway, and I got in. (But I had WE, too.)

quiver

Silver

Post by quiver » Mon May 21, 2012 12:02 pm

tnguy03 wrote:Top 25% at top 30.
1L Biglaw paid SA
5 years WE

I want to apply to Northwestern upwards. Worthwhile to do so? Thanks
Upwards as in the T10? If so, I'd say almost zero chance.

T10er13

New

Post by T10er13 » Mon May 21, 2012 1:54 pm

vanwinkle wrote:
T10er13 wrote:1L at V or P. Top 20% after first semester. Potentially will be in the 15% range after this semester (based on grades that I've received thus far for second semester). I'm straight from undergrad. I had a very competitive internship during college, but other than that, no full-time WE, naturally. I'm not a URM.

H puts heavy emphasis on WE these days. They actually look for it during admissions now, including transfer apps. I'm not saying you can't transfer in unless you have it; I'm just saying it's harder to sway them into favoring you if you don't.

I'll predict you're out at both H and Y. This isn't to say you shouldn't apply, just that you should be aware of your chances. I was very borderline for H, and yet after I applied anyway, and I got in. (But I had WE, too.)

Thanks for your input, Vanwinkle. Out of curiosity, did you have close relationships with the profs who wrote your recommendations, as well?

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Mon May 21, 2012 3:10 pm

T10er13 wrote:Thanks for your input, Vanwinkle. Out of curiosity, did you have close relationships with the profs who wrote your recommendations, as well?
I would say so.

I would also say that, if you have grades worthy of an H/Y transfer from nearly any school, you should have good relationships with at least two profs. Or you're a robot. One of the two.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

tedalbany

Gold

Post by tedalbany » Tue May 22, 2012 12:03 am

Currently about top 5% at a NYC T30 (school doesn't rank, just gives a top 10% cut off, but using the normal distribution calculation I should be about top 5%) with just 2 grades left to go.

If I stay in the top 5% I plan on HSCCNMP (Already have an ED app at Chi)
Top 10% - CCNMPBDC

terpfan12

New

Post by terpfan12 » Tue May 22, 2012 1:34 am

Last edited by terpfan12 on Wed Jun 27, 2012 6:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

wightjm

New

Post by wightjm » Tue May 22, 2012 2:02 am

For a friend:

top 10% at Richmond to UVa?

dtl

Bronze

Post by dtl » Tue May 22, 2012 12:52 pm

I was top 2% last semester. Looks like (with two grades out so far) that I am going to drop to top 7-10% or so. School is in the early 40's. I have WE but nothing law related. No real softs.

Looking to transfer to the LA region - UCLA, USC, UCIrvine. Also blanketing rank 3-14.

Oh god chance me.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

JoeFish

Bronze

Post by JoeFish » Fri May 25, 2012 12:25 am

My turn. Just got my grades back. EXACT SAME AS FIRST SEMESTER (A, A-, A-).
So, 3.78 at a school in the mid-30s that, if you even do 10 seconds of digging, should be very easy to figure out. After first semester, cut-off for top 10% was 3.66 and top 5% was 3.88.

So, probably in about the same place, within top 10%, just outside of top 5%, maybe. It'd be really nice if I slid into top 5%, but I'll know in a bit.

Going to apply, I think, to Columbia, NYU, Penn, Michigan, Duke, Georgetown, maybe NU.

Thoughts?

anon71

New

Post by anon71 » Fri May 25, 2012 10:40 am

1st semester: top 1-2% (school does not rank first semester) at a very large law school ranked 69 located at the southeast tip of the country.

2nd semester: waiting to get grades back

other: 2 years W.E. with USDOJ before law school, interning with US Dist. Ct. judge this summer and helping a professor write a new law review article.

applying to:
H
NYU
UVA
Mich
Duke
Georgetown

thanks!

mileslibertatis

Silver

Post by mileslibertatis » Fri May 25, 2012 3:07 pm

anon71 wrote:1st semester: top 1-2% (school does not rank first semester) at a very large law school ranked 69 located at the southeast tip of the country.

2nd semester: waiting to get grades back

other: 2 years W.E. with USDOJ before law school, interning with US Dist. Ct. judge this summer and helping a professor write a new law review article.

applying to:
H
NYU
UVA
Mich
Duke
Georgetown

thanks!
Based only on how I have been advised here, you should be almost a lock at Georgetown (thanks to their huge transfer class) and have a solid chance at Duke and Michigan. UVA has a strong bias for Virginians (I blame Thomas Jefferson), and Harvard and NYU are probably both reasonable "reach" schools for you this cycle.

Of course, if you drop out of the top 2%, Harvard and NYU become much longer shots. I am in a similar boat as you, #1 (for now) at a 50s school, so I have thought about many of the same concerns. I would only ask why not apply to other T10 schools?

Vronsky

Silver

Post by Vronsky » Fri May 25, 2012 7:16 pm

tedalbany wrote:Currently about top 5% at a NYC T30 (school doesn't rank, just gives a top 10% cut off, but using the normal distribution calculation I should be about top 5%) with just 2 grades left to go.

If I stay in the top 5% I plan on HSCCNMP (Already have an ED app at Chi)
Top 10% - CCNMPBDC
I would say you have a very good shot at the T6, and that's all you should consider. You should be set with biglaw options if you stay, btw.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Transfers”