Getting $$$ from current school by trying to transfer

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
inkincorporate

Getting $$$ from current school by trying to transfer

Postby inkincorporate » Sun Apr 01, 2012 3:38 am

I'm currently a 1L at Fordham. I did extremely well during my first semester, and I should be able to get into NYU or Columbia with my GPA, although I know nothing is certain when it comes to transferring schools. I dont really want to switch schools though... I'm perfectly happy at Fordham. Unfortunately, I am paying full tuition. Needless to say, I would like to negotiate some sort of merit aid. My question is, how precisely should I go about doing that? I'm unsure about whether I should wait until my second semester grades come in, whether I need to actually start the process of transferring, etc. I would really appreciate some feedback.

bk1

Re: Getting $$$ from current school by trying to transfer

Postby bk1 » Sun Apr 01, 2012 3:41 am

Locked your other topic since it was redundant. I've also moved this thread to the transfer forum.

concurrent fork

Postby concurrent fork » Sun Apr 01, 2012 9:56 am

1. In general, you need your acceptances in hand (after second semester grades for your purposes, since neither NYU nor Columbia have EA).

2. Some schools flat out do not negotiate, so go into the process expecting that you may not get a scholarship bump. Not sure what Fordham's policy is.

checkster

Postby checkster » Mon Apr 02, 2012 12:23 pm

If you are paying full at Fordham (ouch), then get those transfer acceptances. If you really like Fordham, make sure they give you significant $$$ or GTFO and pay for a school that will make the debt less terrifying.

jessuf

Postby jessuf » Mon Apr 02, 2012 5:18 pm

I have no advice, but my school offered me a full scholarship after I requested transcripts for transferring. I did not request a scholarship nor negotiate. I don't know if they would have given it to me anyway based on my grades. Just putting it out there that it does happen.

t14fanboy

Postby t14fanboy » Mon Apr 02, 2012 5:24 pm

Jessuf I love that pic. So cute.

johansantana21

Postby johansantana21 » Thu Apr 05, 2012 4:41 am

Jessuf wrote:I have no advice, but my school offered me a full scholarship after I requested transcripts for transferring. I did not request a scholarship nor negotiate. I don't know if they would have given it to me anyway based on my grades. Just putting it out there that it does happen.

What school is this? I've never heard of this happening in the T14.

bceagles182

Postby bceagles182 » Thu Apr 05, 2012 5:08 am

checkster wrote:If you are paying full at Fordham (ouch), then get those transfer acceptances. If you really like Fordham, make sure they give you significant $$$ or GTFO and pay for a school that will make the debt less terrifying.

The debt won't be terrifying if he stays at the top of his class at Fordham where he is a shoe-in for big law. The debt WILL be terrifying if he transfers to T14 and strikes out at OCI.

OP, Unless you get HYSCCN, stay put.

TTRansfer

Postby TTRansfer » Thu Apr 05, 2012 4:42 pm

bceagles182 wrote:
checkster wrote:If you are paying full at Fordham (ouch), then get those transfer acceptances. If you really like Fordham, make sure they give you significant $$$ or GTFO and pay for a school that will make the debt less terrifying.

The debt won't be terrifying if he stays at the top of his class at Fordham where he is a shoe-in for big law. The debt WILL be terrifying if he transfers to T14 and strikes out at OCI.

Agreed.

polycom01

Postby polycom01 » Thu Apr 05, 2012 5:03 pm

bceagles182 wrote:

OP is already paying full tuition, so the debt will be scary either way, unless OP can negotiate a scholarship at Fordham.

If OP can't get a scholarship at Fordham, then GTFO and go to NYU or Columbia - the firms will be basing their OCI decisions on 1L Fordham grades either way, but at NYU/Columbia there will be more employers at OCI. If OP is gonna strike out, might as well be at Columbia/NYU where back-up options will be more plentiful.

OP: get the transfers apps out, negotiate like hell for a scholarship, and if you don't get anything then GTFO. Paying full tuition for Fordham when you could be at NYU/Columbia is asinine.

rockthered86

Postby rockthered86 » Fri Apr 06, 2012 8:36 am

How big a scholarship are students able to obtain when they go in with their transfer acceptance? I'm sure it varies school to school, but what would the average offer be?

Postby 20130312 » Fri Apr 06, 2012 8:55 am

johansantana21 wrote:
Jessuf wrote:I have no advice, but my school offered me a full scholarship after I requested transcripts for transferring. I did not request a scholarship nor negotiate. I don't know if they would have given it to me anyway based on my grades. Just putting it out there that it does happen.

What school is this? I've never heard of this happening in the T14.

Stetson.

Return to “Transfers”